Need help with adding an fx loop to Orange Micro Terror

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
Justice93
Information

Post by Justice93 »

Hi everyone, first time poster here. Anyways I wanted to see if anyone has, or would know how to ad an fx loop to an Orange micro terror. I know someone built a clone from the schematic found here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22030&p=267139&hili ... or#p267139. After doing some searching around, it seemed that the lack of a schematic is what kept people from trying it but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks!
-Justice

thetragichero
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by thetragichero »

if r34 goes to the power amp that's a great place to insert an fx loop
i like a simple non-inverting op amp (i prefer a tl071/072) with a pot that allows me to go from unity gain to a bit of a volume boost. standard ts jack for send and a shorting jack for return, op amp on return for recovery

Justice93
Information

Post by Justice93 »

I'm a noob but it doesn't sound too bad. If you were to forgo the op amp could you make up signal loss with a boost in the fx chain?

thetragichero
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by thetragichero »

why i prefer an loop recovery stage in the amp instead of relying on a pedal:
1. one less pedal i need to worry about. i try to practice minimalism and only have a couple of 16" wide boards so they keep me simple
2. I'm able to design the recovery stage to get the impedances and i desire. what's in the box at my foot likely is not the best tool for the job

it doesn't have to be super complex

if you've got a dual rail supply you could do away with the voltage divider/voltage follower (had an extra half of a dual so why not?) and build it dead bug style with a single op amp. or even a fet stage if you wanted
this here wasn't the best design/implementation but it works (gives the power transistors a kick in the pants when it's turned up!)