Suhr Reactive Load  [schematic]

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
AndrewGallios
Information

Post by AndrewGallios »

thank you Darkwood

AndrewGallios
Information

Post by AndrewGallios »

floris
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by floris »

That will work but imo is overkill and way too expensive. MKP film caps are very expensive for large capacitance values. You need a Bipolar Non-Polarized electrolitic capacitor which will be much cheaper.

I guess two of these in parallel will be good enough (don't know about the ripple current spec of these):
http://www.banzaimusic.com/100uF-100V-A ... polar.html

floris
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by floris »

The full signal out of a distorting amp will flow through the cap at frequencies above the low resonance peak, so that can be quite a current, for a 100 W amp with a 8 Ohm speaker load this can be around 3,5 A.

Is there anybody who checked the ripple current or ESR specs of the bipolar electrolitic capacitor(s) that they used? Or is any bipolar cap with enough voltage spec good enough?

I worry about this because if the ripple current is too high, the cap will become too hot and that leads to breakdown of the cap, perhaps leading to a malfunctioning load box and a defect output transformer. When the cap shorts, the low resonance part no longer works, but the load box keeps functioning. If the cap malfunctions as an open connection, the resistance to higher frequencies of the load box increases and that might lead problems in the amp.
Perhaps I'm overthinking this...

bmxguitarsbmx
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by bmxguitarsbmx »

I think those are some good points Floris.

AndrewGallios
Information

Post by AndrewGallios »

floris
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by floris »

These 100VDC F&T bipolar caps have a 35VAC spec. A 100W amp on a 8 Ohm load yields 28VAC. Should be ok I guess.

floris
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by floris »

But on a 16 Ohm load, that same 100W amp yields 40VAC. That will not work with those caps.

AndrewGallios
Information

Post by AndrewGallios »

im on 8ohm reactive load build so i will never conect the 16 ohm tap on the amp

only the 8ohm tap
maybe the 4ohm tap

AndrewGallios
Information

Post by AndrewGallios »

!

AndrewGallios
Information

Post by AndrewGallios »

ready! its killing!!
A549F142-BD6B-4DDB-8116-68F08CF77D08.jpeg
DB9B0DB6-70AC-48F0-A841-B000B43CF466.jpeg
48550994-6B51-4381-8DFC-C915F6A818E4.jpeg

floris
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by floris »

Wow that looks great, good work!

Optical
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Optical »

On mine the part that gets the hottest is the air-core inductor. - with a 100W tube amp
I'm using the nichicon caps that someone mentioned here earlier. They get a little warm but nothing to worry about.

bmxguitarsbmx
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by bmxguitarsbmx »

Excessive heating of your air coil is likely from eddy currents in the chassis. Try turning the coil 90degrees. As is, the currents are making loops out of the plane of the chassis, at 90 degrees the currents will make loops that are limited in size by the thickness of the chassis. Big difference! The losses may be so huge that your top end inductive impedance is nuked. Eddy losses are like putting a resistor* in parallel with the coil. There is a whole lot of interesting stuff here...

Optical
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Optical »

Interesting, I'll try that.
I should mention it only gets warm when the amp is absolutely cranking. But I'll see if there is any audible effect from the position!

bmxguitarsbmx
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by bmxguitarsbmx »

See if the heat is actually coming from the chassis. Thats where the eddy currents are. And it just seems like the coil is hot.

I had the idea that I could "tune" the top end rise by threading a bolt into a plastic core inside my air coil. For a few millimeters it works, then eddy losses take over and the top end impedance falls to the dc resistance. (eddy losses being modeled as a parallel resistor) Then you can try different alloys of bolts and you can take a slice down the side of the bolt to cut the current loops into smaller sections. Because the magnetic lines run perpendicular to the eddy currents, a slice down the length of the bolt only cuts the path of currents and leaves your permeable mass largely untouched. In the cases of inserting the bolt, it is the bolt that gets hot as that is where the currents are. Thats why I am guessing your chassis is the thing that is hot. Put that in your pipe and smoke it! It was a long time ago I did these experiments so, I'm curious to how your experiments go!

eastborn
Information

Post by eastborn »

When I observe the schematic it seems that the sleeve of the 6,3mm jack connection is connected to point 3 of the XLR. As the separation tranny is connected to point 2 and 3 of the XLR connector (balanced) and point 1 of the XLR connector is connected to GND, I was expecting the 6,3mm jack sleeve to be connected to GND also. What am I missing in these? Am I wrong or is it a small mistake in the schematic?
Now it seems to me that the 6,3mm jack is also balanced somehow. Suggestion to connect the sleeve of the 6,3mm jack to point 1 of the XLR socket and install a groundlift switch too. What do your guys think of this?

I have attached a schematic which I came up last year for a line out which is basically the same except for value of the isolation tranny.
Attachments
general line-out schematic for tube amps.jpg

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

I'm not clear on your Q but the drawing looks right to me.
The 6.3 Socket is a TRS unit so Tip is Hot, Ring is Cold, Sleeve is Common.

If you insert a Mono plug (TS) then Ring & Sleeve are shorted so the output is *Unbalanced*.
Inserting a TRS plug would give you Balanced output.

Regards the cap,, You may have to tweak that value with some amps.
Phil.

eastborn
Information

Post by eastborn »

The drawing attached to my question is OK. I just added this for reference compairing to the drawing as mentioned in the thread. My concern is the clone drawing made by SoulSonic. To me the 6,3mm socket is wired the wrong way.

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

Oh Now I understand the Q.
Both are correct, just wired differently.

Re the soulsonic Drawing;
The 6.5 is an unbalanced TS only, Isolated from case.
While the XLR is Balanced and ground referenced.
Note; The 6.5 socket mounting would have to be isolated from the case otherwise the XLR would not be balanced.

Meantime your drawing shows a Balanced TRS 6.5 as well as a Balanced XLR.
In this case both can be ground lifted via the switch.
Again as noted on the drawing, the 6.5 needs to be isolated from case.
Phil.