Orange AD-5 Master Volume mod?

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
Goldsoundz
Information

Post by Goldsoundz »

Hi Folks,
Can anyone recommend a master volume mod for a Chinese Orange AD-5?
I changed the speaker to an Eminence 1028 (wrong impedence I know), and it is waaay too loud now.

Thanks

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

What is the impedance of the original speaker?
An easy way to cut the amount of power coming out is to put a power resistor either in series or parallel with the speaker out; depending what your desired impedance is. If the amp originally had a 4 ohm speaker and the replacement you put in is 8 ohm, what you do is put an 8 ohm resistor in parallel with the speaker connections. Or, if it was originally 16 ohm, wire an 8 ohm resistor in series with the speaker. Either way, the power is now divided approximately equally between the speaker and the resistor, so the speaker now gets half the power. Easiest way to do an attenuator and should keep the original sound intact.
I would use a 25w power resistor, even though there won't be even close to that much power going through it with only a 5w amp, you can be assured it shouldn't be getting too hot.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Goldsoundz
Information

Post by Goldsoundz »

Thanks, thats a pretty elegant solution!
I have an 8ohm speaker in there and the amp wants to see 16. So an 8ohm resistor in series might do the trick.