"Murder One" Submini Tube Guitar Amplifier

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
Post Reply
User avatar
frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information
Posts: 696
Joined: 30 Mar 2009, 09:37
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Post by frequencycentral »

The latest "Murder One" Submini Tube Guitar Amplifier. This one is already SOLD, I'm building a few more identical if anyone's interested in owning one.

Image
Image
Image

User avatar
briggs
Tube Twister
Information
Posts: 1971
Joined: 12 Jul 2007, 10:02
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....
Location: Breaking into Heaven.
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 124 times
Contact:

Post by briggs »

Could you post up the project too?
Image

I am Klon.

User avatar
frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information
Posts: 696
Joined: 30 Mar 2009, 09:37
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Post by frequencycentral »

briggs wrote:Could you post up the project too?
Image

The Microchip TC1044S is cheaper than a MAX1044 and has a higher voltage rating.

Sounclip: http://www.myspace.com/subminitubeguitaramplifiers

Signal path:

Squier Telecaster Custom (HB) > Murder One (cranked) > 12" / 8 ohm speaker > Shure SM58 > Event Echo Gina 24 soundcard > Wavelab

No other processing.............except when I stomp on the Valvecaster half way through.........you'll know when.

User avatar
briggs
Tube Twister
Information
Posts: 1971
Joined: 12 Jul 2007, 10:02
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....
Location: Breaking into Heaven.
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 124 times
Contact:

Post by briggs »

Very nice, cranking the voltage out of that 1044. What are you getting as a B+? ~70-80v?
Image

I am Klon.

User avatar
frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information
Posts: 696
Joined: 30 Mar 2009, 09:37
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Post by frequencycentral »

briggs wrote:Very nice, cranking the voltage out of that 1044. What are you getting as a B+? ~70-80v?
Yeah, neat idea huh? The B+ is ~70-80v as you correctly guessed, which is close to the maximum that the 5672 pentode will handle.

User avatar
briggs
Tube Twister
Information
Posts: 1971
Joined: 12 Jul 2007, 10:02
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....
Location: Breaking into Heaven.
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 124 times
Contact:

Post by briggs »

yeah, I like it. I might have a little pop at one of these. I've got a spare reverb tranny lying around. Where are you sourcing your sub-minis from?
Image

I am Klon.

User avatar
frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information
Posts: 696
Joined: 30 Mar 2009, 09:37
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Post by frequencycentral »

briggs wrote:yeah, I like it. I might have a little pop at one of these. I've got a spare reverb tranny lying around. Where are you sourcing your sub-minis from?
Ebay!

User avatar
briggs
Tube Twister
Information
Posts: 1971
Joined: 12 Jul 2007, 10:02
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....
Location: Breaking into Heaven.
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 124 times
Contact:

Post by briggs »

ahhhh! I'll check it out. Any recommended sellers? How much wattage does this thing turn out?
Image

I am Klon.

User avatar
frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information
Posts: 696
Joined: 30 Mar 2009, 09:37
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Post by frequencycentral »

briggs wrote:ahhhh! I'll check it out. Any recommended sellers? How much wattage does this thing turn out?
About 1 watt I guess.

This guy for 6111's : http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/w.e.s.- ... omZQQ_mdoZ

User avatar
briggs
Tube Twister
Information
Posts: 1971
Joined: 12 Jul 2007, 10:02
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....
Location: Breaking into Heaven.
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 124 times
Contact:

Post by briggs »

Cheers, I'll start collecting the parts 8)
Image

I am Klon.

User avatar
frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information
Posts: 696
Joined: 30 Mar 2009, 09:37
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Post by frequencycentral »

Gut shot of the pre-PCB prototype, for those who are interested:

Image

......and a cheesecake shot:

Image

User avatar
GJonesy
Information
Posts: 30
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 16:01
my favorite amplifier: Laney AOR, Vox AC30, Blackstar HT-5
Completed builds: COT 50, Landgraff, CJOD, SHO, Sili FFace, zendrive, eternity, zvex-machine, fuzz factory, woolly mammoth, crunchbox
Location: UK
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Post by GJonesy »

frequencycentral wrote: The Microchip TC1044S is cheaper than a MAX1044 and has a higher voltage rating.
I dont know if this is in another thread but does anyone know if its possible to use "ICL7660SCPA CMOS Voltage converter" inplace of the 1044? theyre pretty cheap at Rapidonline
cheers G

User avatar
frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information
Posts: 696
Joined: 30 Mar 2009, 09:37
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Post by frequencycentral »

GJonesy wrote:
frequencycentral wrote: The Microchip TC1044S is cheaper than a MAX1044 and has a higher voltage rating.
I dont know if this is in another thread but does anyone know if its possible to use "ICL7660SCPA CMOS Voltage converter" inplace of the 1044? theyre pretty cheap at Rapidonline
cheers G
The 7660 lacks the oscillator frequency boost feature which the MAX1044/TC1044/LTC1054 feature. That means the oscillator frequency is within the range of human hearing, ie. it'll whine like a bitch! I've tried it. The frequency boost feature allows the oscillator to run at 50kHz IIR. Your pet dog/bat/mosquito may not be happy but you'll have a good sounding amp.

It is possible to externally clock the 7660 to get it running above the range of human hearing, but the extra circuitry does not make this as neat a solution as just getting the right charge pump for the job. :D

User avatar
GJonesy
Information
Posts: 30
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 16:01
my favorite amplifier: Laney AOR, Vox AC30, Blackstar HT-5
Completed builds: COT 50, Landgraff, CJOD, SHO, Sili FFace, zendrive, eternity, zvex-machine, fuzz factory, woolly mammoth, crunchbox
Location: UK
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Post by GJonesy »

frequencycentral wrote: The 7660 lacks the oscillator frequency boost feature which the MAX1044/TC1044/LTC1054 feature. That means the oscillator frequency is within the range of human hearing, ie. it'll whine like a bitch! I've tried it. The frequency boost feature allows the oscillator to run at 50kHz IIR. Your pet dog/bat/mosquito may not be happy but you'll have a good sounding amp.

It is possible to externally clock the 7660 to get it running above the range of human hearing, but the extra circuitry does not make this as neat a solution as just getting the right charge pump for the job. :D
Thanks for clearing that up, this is such a nice build Im going to have to get the parts in!
Think I'll start with a valvecaster first though
cheers G

User avatar
frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information
Posts: 696
Joined: 30 Mar 2009, 09:37
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Post by frequencycentral »

I've had a number of requests for the layout I used. TBH, I was holding off as I planned to retire to the Bahamas on the strength of Murder One sales, but it looks as if i'll be luck to retire to Scunthorpe. So here's the perf layout I used for the first few, and the PCB layout I'm now using. Both are obviously tailored to the enclosure layout I use, and also the size of the caps and the two voltage drop resistors, R4 and R5.

Image
Image
Image

Here's the direct links to the files, as I think Photbucket might resize the PNP

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/967492/MOperf.gif

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/967492/MOpcb.gif

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/967492/MOpnp.gif

Enjoy! It's good to share isn't it?!

User avatar
Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information
Posts: 1728
Joined: 13 Mar 2009, 17:59
Location: UK
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 142 times

Post by Scruffie »

It is indeed nice to share, thanks for it Frequency! If I could get along with perf, or could print my own PCB's I'd build this in a shot... let alone getting the submini tubes, transformer... and the money to get these things... but still!

Perhaps with Sub Zero sales on top you'll get too the bahamas... or maybe move up to Skegness.

User avatar
GJonesy
Information
Posts: 30
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 16:01
my favorite amplifier: Laney AOR, Vox AC30, Blackstar HT-5
Completed builds: COT 50, Landgraff, CJOD, SHO, Sili FFace, zendrive, eternity, zvex-machine, fuzz factory, woolly mammoth, crunchbox
Location: UK
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Post by GJonesy »

Frequency-central,
loads of thanks for the layouts etc, theyre great. I know youve mentioned ebay for the 6111 tubes and bluebell for the transformer in the past but could you recommend anywhere else to get these parts in the UK. Ive noticed youre trying out some other submini tubes, are these more readily available?
Should this be another thread?
anyway, many thanks again
G

User avatar
frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information
Posts: 696
Joined: 30 Mar 2009, 09:37
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Post by frequencycentral »

GJonesy wrote:Frequency-central,
loads of thanks for the layouts etc, theyre great. I know youve mentioned ebay for the 6111 tubes and bluebell for the transformer in the past but could you recommend anywhere else to get these parts in the UK. Ive noticed youre trying out some other submini tubes, are these more readily available?
Should this be another thread?
anyway, many thanks again
G
Small Bear now stock 6111's, expensive though. I get all my tubes from far away over the sea!

If you want a ready made PCB, I've passed the files to John Lyons, his work is very high quality, he can be contacted here: basicaudiowv@earthlink.net

User avatar
frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information
Posts: 696
Joined: 30 Mar 2009, 09:37
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Post by frequencycentral »

Murder one featured in Guitar Buyer Magazine![/b][/u]

Well, not exactly featured, Murder One owner stereovoid says..........
...i did write a letter to Guitar Buyer about the interesting people i've met that are making interesting stuff...and they printed it!! its in this months mag, and there is a picture of it!

User avatar
frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information
Posts: 696
Joined: 30 Mar 2009, 09:37
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Post by frequencycentral »

Here's the PCBs John Lyons is making for Murder One. These are .06 thick, 2oz heavy copper.

Image

$15 worldwide, postage included.
Just email John at: basicaudiowv AT earthlink.net
Paypal is best but a Money Order is fine.

Post Reply