Orange Tiny Terror

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
tobiasw
Information

Post by tobiasw »

Hi do you have some tips of transformers to use in a Tiny terror project?

/Tobias

DougH
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by DougH »

soulsonic wrote:A Marshall with 6V6s? Now that's an oddball.
Maybe for Marshall. But there are a lot of people at ax84 building plexi amps with 6v6's. The 6v6's supposedly really work well for that sort of thing.

DougH
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by DougH »

vanessa wrote:There's room for improvement on this one. It's basically an AC15 with a lot of oomph. It's sort of new, very portable and people are raving about it. Did I say cool tone?

http://www.orangeamps.com/tinyterror/
Oh God... "Class A Power"... Here we go again... :roll:

AC15? Where's the EF86?

sshrugg
Information

Post by sshrugg »

tobiasw wrote:Hi do you have some tips of transformers to use in a Tiny terror project?
I have the same question. I'm completely new to building amps from scratch. This looks like a good one to start with!
DougH wrote:Oh God... "Class A Power"... Here we go again... :roll:
Huh?

kaufhaus
Information

Post by kaufhaus »

hi sshrugg,
just don't ask about 'class A'. 8)

check out the aikenamps page. go to the tech info page. you'll find info, also for newbies.

transformer wise you could use hammonds. there is this allround output transformer (i think it's the 125E). it's cheap and you can use it in different projects. powertransformer wise, it's a bit more difficult as i don't see any voltages in the schematic. a guess it will be something with 250V on the secondary before the rectifier. the transformer just needs to have a filament and a high voltage tap. no bias tap is needed.

hope this helps!
max

sshrugg
Information

Post by sshrugg »

Thank you very much kaufhaus! That's very helpful! I appreciate it. I think I need to read that site carefully. Also, I should do some reading on transformers. Thanks again!

sshrugg
Information

Post by sshrugg »

Hahaha! I followed your aikenamps tip, and I get it now.

s.r.v.
Information

Post by s.r.v. »

has any one built this yet? i'd love to take a shot at it, but i can't open up a .rar file on my mac! any tips?

invalidcd
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by invalidcd »

s.r.v. wrote:has any one built this yet? i'd love to take a shot at it, but i can't open up a .rar file on my mac! any tips?
You can open rar on a mac by using SimplyRAR http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/21430

:wink:

s.r.v.
Information

Post by s.r.v. »

worked perfectly!

doesn't seem to be verified though at version 1.11 :lol:

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

From a technical view the TT has a high gain preamp and a AC15 type power stage with PI MV and sounds nothing like an AC15, just pure high gain metal type tone.

BTW: the TT is not a class A circuit, neither the AC15 or AC30, they all are just high biased class AB amps.

JHS

John G
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by John G »

Hi all,
I cobbled up a TT in an old 10Watt Broadcasting Monitor amp, not pretty but functional
I was reasonably inpressed and have always liked the sound of EL84s being pushed.
What I didn't like about it was the lack of tone control so I've installed a simple passive bass cut circuit and a treble cut. The trebcut has a switch assigned to it to change its position in the circuit so you can have pre or post treble cut.
I have also installed a single ended swithch and a VOX/MARSHALL phase splitter bias switch.
If anyone is interested in a schem then PM me............and of course it's no longer a TT.
Cheers,
John G

Thomeeque
Information

Post by Thomeeque »

Hi!

Does anybody know, what is maximal DC current sucked by whole circuit (in "15W" mode)? Quiescent current is around 100mA, right?

Thanks, T.

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

DougH wrote:
vanessa wrote:There's room for improvement on this one. It's basically an AC15 with a lot of oomph. It's sort of new, very portable and people are raving about it. Did I say cool tone?

http://www.orangeamps.com/tinyterror/
Oh God... "Class A Power"... Here we go again... :roll:

AC15? Where's the EF86?
Hmmm... I always thought the AC15 had a channel that sported a 12AX7/ECC83 in the the preamp section. :scratch: At least the most popular one with that notch filter (like big brother 30 has) off the PI had one. I forgot no one ever used that channel,,, and how could you get the characteristic VOX midrange honk from that stupid old channel? :roll:

plexilover
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by plexilover »

Yeah, you're right, about 100mA...

I'm on my way building it, when it's complete i write it ;)
I've heard that the Orange Tiny Terror is a Marshall 18 Watt with an extra valve stage...

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

Acc. to the schem, the TT is a 18W copy with 2 cascades simple preamps.
The first stage is a treble booster and a lot of the "tuned" JCM800 have similar input stages. IMHO any 18W clone boosted with a Rangemaster or any other good TB will deliver a similar sound.

JHS

9 volt
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by 9 volt »

Hey there, can someone explain how the half power switch switch works (eg two taps from power transformer?) Thanks

Thomeeque
Information

Post by Thomeeque »

9 volt wrote:Hey there, can someone explain how the half power switch switch works (eg two taps from power transformer?) Thanks
Hi! It's very simple. High-voltage winding on power transformer has tap and switch switches between winding end (cca 250VAC => 15 Watt mode) and this tap (cca 175VAC => 7 Watt mode), no less no more - see http://r.clear.home.insightbb.com/OTT.pdf.

Cheers, Thmq

9 volt
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by 9 volt »

Hey thanks, does this change the characteristic of the pre amp much? eg lower voltage, more dirt?

DaniCalifornia
Information

Post by DaniCalifornia »

Hi!
Should this power transformer work for this project?

http://www.ampmaker.com/pt03x.asp

Thanks! :D