Graphics software for stompboxes

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
mike_a
Information

Post by mike_a »

Hi all,

I've recently built 2 stomps (a BSIAB2 and a Guv'nor). I would like to design the graphics for the labels and I would like to ask which software you recommend.

I've heard of "front panel designer". Is it any good?
how about Adobe Illustrator?

I've also seen baja's great looking label for the voodoo vibe. It would be great to know how it was done.

Thanks,
Mike.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Illustrator is a really good program for designing labels and panels and layouts and pretty much whatever. I use PhotoShop most of the time for stuff like that because it does what I need and it's a program I'm familiar with. I don't really know how to do much in Illustrator, so I haven't messed with it, but I have friends who've done some really good stuff with Illustrator. I believe all of Weber's Amp Kit layouts are done in Illustrator.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

On the other side of the internet, there are Linux fanatics all around the world who make FREE clone software for any standard software by Windows, Adobe,

I currently use GIMPshop
http://www.gimpshop.com/
A modified version of Gimp, and with identical controls to Photoshop
http://www.gimp.org

For text etc, I use
http://www.openoffice.org

It's because if you write software for PC or Mac, you'll have to get it licensed by Windows or Mac (ie. pay alot of money so you can never compete with their softwares), but not for Linux. Just get an Linux interface for you pc/mac (also free) and you're started...
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: ‘65 Twin Reverb
Completed builds: Fuzz & Preamps mostly.

Post by bumblebee »

the gimps cool, i use that.
it lacks some features tho imo.

what do you save your files as for printing decals? like gif,png,jpg etc?

i know they all work but are some better than others with clarity etc?

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

It depends on what kind of learning curve you want to tackle. I've been using Photoshop for so long it is second nature. But Illustrator is much less intuitive, IMO. Gimp is a great way to go for open source, and you can get Paint Shop Pro really cheap. You can get Photoshop Elements cheap too, which is stripped down but probably has enough features for pedal graphics.

mike_a
Information

Post by mike_a »

Thanks guys!

Would it be okay to ask if someone could share some templates?

That could make the start a bit easier....

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

I've also seen baja's great looking label for the voodoo vibe. It would be great to know how it was done
I used CorelDraw 11 - I have been using it for years now (since CorelDraw 2 :wink: ) so it is very easy for me.
Like all programs there is a learning curve - my wife uses photoshop a lot, but I find it difficult to use - she cannot do very much with CorelDraw though. It just depends on time and practice using any graphics program.
With regards to the Vooddoo Vibe label - I took a photo of the roger mayer unit and using CorelDraw, adapted it to fit a 1790NS case - glad you liked it :D
cheers
bajaman

DWBH
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by DWBH »

I also use Corel (the new version, Corel X3). Pretty easy to use.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

I also use Corel (the new version, Corel X3). Pretty easy to use.
Yep - got that too on another computer - have you seen Corel Technical drawing - for drawing those exploded diagrams for how things fit together - pretty out of it software :lol:
bajaman

mike_a
Information

Post by mike_a »

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Now I should get working :)

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Try Deep Paint, too. It was released by Right Hemisphere a few years ago as a free product (discontinued).

http://www.download.com/3001-2191_4-10398243.html

Nikifena
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Nikifena »

+1 to corel draw
I use it too.
Verry good software!

mike_a
Information

Post by mike_a »

Would you say that Corel draw is more suited for this kind of work than Illustrator?

Is it easier to learn?

madbean, I've never heard of this app. Have you used it for pedal graphics?

Thanks again,
Mike.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

mike_a wrote:madbean, I've never heard of this app. Have you used it for pedal graphics?
No, I used it a bit when I was doing a lot of 3D modeling and animation. Actually, the version I used was specific to painting textures on 3D models. This is the same app, but with only 2D capabilities. I don't know how robust the text stuff is in it...but you can do some decent painting.

Nikifena
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Nikifena »

mike_a wrote:Would you say that Corel draw is more suited for this kind of work than Illustrator?

Is it easier to learn?
Corel and illustrator are vector graphics software. I can work only with corel draw. I think that every software can be used if you have imagination to make a good frontpanel design ;)

Is it easy... I don't know. For me is easy. I think that it's easier than illustrator.

MarcoMike
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by MarcoMike »

I think that every software can be used if you have imagination to make a good frontpanel design
good point!
I always use PaintShopPro and love it! much simpler and user friendly than Photoshop, which seems designed by Franz Kafka for all the steps you you have to do for simple operations! you can do vectors as well with PSP.

The new version (°11) has many good features but it's kind of "heavy", all the earlier versions (from 7th) are good as well and perfect to learn.

have fun.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

I've played with various incarnations of corel, photoshop, paintshop, gimp and I guess I'm a bit thick cos they all confused the hell out of me (not much for reading instructions).
a while ago I discovered http://www.photofiltre.com and downloaded their program. it seems very simple and intuitive and yet can do pretty much all graphics acrobats I want to do. I don't think it's vector based, and doesn't have layers (I know a bunch of people live and die by layers), but I just save multiple versions (file systems I can handle :wink: ). When I started using it it was free for private use, and although they've release a commercial version (which I've still yet to try - don't really see any need to honestly), the free version is still there...

better living everyone.
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

Mr. G.
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Undecided
Completed builds: 3-loop + tuner out TB loop pedal
Eternity overdrive (Deaj perf layout)
YATS (many)
BOR
DLS
COT (Briggs mods)
Crunchbox
SHO (several)
Fuzz Factory
Several LM386 based distortions

Post by Mr. G. »

A good free vector program, that I use, is called Inkscape: http://www.inkscape.org/

It's pretty much the open source answer to Illustrator. I'll also throw another vote for the GIMP.

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

I also vote for Inkscape (for everything vector) and the Gimp (for everything bitmap), both are great Free Software :thumbsup
I only give negative feedback.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

just downloaded and tried inkscape... very very nice software indeed!
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.