Designing PCB from Layout

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
DjPsychic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DjPsychic »

Is there anyone who can help me design a PCB from a layout? It's just a simple fuzz face with a couple little differences. I plan on using oshpark.com (I think). amzfx uses them so if it's good enough for him I guess, unless someone else in the U.S recommends a better PCB service

feel free to message me if you feel up to it. I can compensate if necessary, but don't have a ton of $ to offer. Maybe trade for completed pedal?...It's just me and I only plan on making a handful or so

any guidance/help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

- DJP

rockola
Information

Post by rockola »

By "layout" do you mean a schematic, or a stripboard/perfboard layout? If you have a schematic, please post it. Stripboard/perfboard would mean an extra step of reverse engineering the schematic.

287m
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by 287m »

rockola wrote: 15 Nov 2020, 06:06 By "layout" do you mean a schematic, or a stripboard/perfboard layout? If you have a schematic, please post it. Stripboard/perfboard would mean an extra step of reverse engineering the schematic.
+1

just post schemo, and we can do layout.
KiCad, Eagle, Diptrace, and Sprint warrior here will help you.
:horsey:

DjPsychic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DjPsychic »

It's a disaster of a wiring diagram/layout, not a schem unfortunately - will have to be reverse engineered. Don't know how to draw schems yet :|

Based on a npn fuzz face so shouldn't be too hard :scratch:

If anyone wants to take a stab I can inbox the layout

- DJP

The G
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by The G »

Put it here, the more eyes the better.

DjPsychic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DjPsychic »

Ok here's my ghetto a** wiring layout :wink:

I'd like to to get PCBs made, not sure where to start. Hand wiring on on stripboard is not fun :blackeye

https://imgur.com/a/fRPQwgd
TVaqmjP.jpg
A few notes for anyone who wants to tackle the PCB:

The T2 & T3 refer to the 10k trimpot legs. They can be anywhere on those tracks. I usually connect "T1 & T3" together. You can design how you like.

I sometimes used vintage caps so leaving a tiny bit more room than your usual electrolitic cap would be cool.

I only build using 9v battery snap, maybe put in an optional hookup for DC jack?

I use 1590n1 enclosures -

:horsey:

rockola
Information

Post by rockola »

Here's the schematic. Maybe another pair of eyes can tell whether it's correct.

DjPsychic wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 12:02 The T2 & T3 refer to the 10k trimpot legs. They can be anywhere on those tracks. I usually connect "T1 & T3" together.
Your numbering scheme is a bit odd; the wiper is usually leg 2 (not 1).

DjPsychic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DjPsychic »

Yes sorry, I have no electronics background. Just started building as a hobby last year "by ear"...learned to breadboard, dial in the sound and build using layouts...so excuse the amateurisms :oops:

DjPsychic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DjPsychic »

rockola wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 17:13 Here's the schematic. Maybe another pair of eyes can tell whether it's correct.

DjPsychic wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 12:02 The T2 & T3 refer to the 10k trimpot legs. They can be anywhere on those tracks. I usually connect "T1 & T3" together.
Your numbering scheme is a bit odd; the wiper is usually leg 2 (not 1).
Also thank you very much for drawing out that schematic

rockola
Information

Post by rockola »

OK, my initial stab at laying out the PCB is at https://github.com/rockola/soul-fuzz

I took the liberty of adding stomp/power connections, polarity protection, and a LED. Also connected leg 1 of what I am assuming to be a gain pot (RV1) to the wiper. Here's the schematic as it stands now:

There are Gerbers but I wouldn't send them off just yet (edit: also looks like there's something wrong with the Gerber silkscreen layer, so hold your horses) until someone else has taken a look. For instance, I haven't actually gone through the schematic to verify that it makes sense, I just drew what was on the layout.

For anyone who wants to tinker with this, it was done with the latest nightly of KiCAD so keep that in mind (you won't be able to open it in an earlier version of KiCAD).

DjPsychic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DjPsychic »

"RV1" is not gain, it's based on the fuller 69 "bias" pot. Just a cleanup at the input. That looks great. I won't send off just yet curious to see what others come up with as well. Thanks man!

and future versions I'd most likely skip LED. Less drilling :)

rockola
Information

Post by rockola »

DjPsychic wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 10:56 "RV1" is not gain, it's based on the fuller 69 "bias" pot.
This is in fact the same circuit as Fulltone 69 (= generalguitargadgets Boutique Late 60s NPN Fuzz Face), with a few component value changes and omissions (no Contour pot).

DjPsychic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DjPsychic »

rockola wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 12:53
DjPsychic wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 10:56 "RV1" is not gain, it's based on the fuller 69 "bias" pot.
This is in fact the same circuit as Fulltone 69 (= generalguitargadgets Boutique Late 60s NPN Fuzz Face), with a few component value changes and omissions (no Contour pot).
Oh well, that wasn't really my intention. I borrowed ideas from the '69, small bear, amfx write ups, youtube...breadboarded a fuzz face (using small bear instructions) then i took a npn fuzz face layout and inserted what I thought sounded good :hmmm:

The G
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by The G »

It pays to think about the finished box - external parts positions, available space, connections to the PCB, choices about mechanical reinforcement (or whatever the term is, I'm talking about how is the PCB mechanically supported inside the box), and so on.

DjPsychic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DjPsychic »

The G wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 09:43 It pays to think about the finished box - external parts positions, available space, connections to the PCB, choices about mechanical reinforcement (or whatever the term is, I'm talking about how is the PCB mechanically supported inside the box), and so on.
This was the first incarnation of the pedal. 1590n1 enclosure :D
AfterlightImage.JPG

Lani
Information
my favorite amplifier: Bassman 5f6a
Completed builds: .....ummmm yeah. Too many to list.....

Post by Lani »

PCB to follow....
Edit - Forgot to ground C2 and the Fuzz pot... Whoops.... Fixed
Attachments
SCHEMATIC - SOUL FUZZ.pdf
(41.33 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

Lani
Information

Post by Lani »

Toner transfer PDF's
WARNING - This is not verified yet. I have one with a ground plane also if anyone is intrested.
Attachments
PCB_SOUL FUZZ - NO GROUND PLANE - TOP SILK + BOTTOM LAYER.pdf
(41.01 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
PCB_SOUL FUZZ - NO GROUND PLANE - TOP SILK.pdf
(36.65 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
PCB_SOUL FUZZ - NO GROUND PLANE - BOTTOM LAYER.pdf
(20.63 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

Lani
Information

Post by Lani »

So I put this on the breadboard.... It works.... sort of. It draws 110mA which is crazy. Battery will not last very long at that current. I think the common emitter stage needs a resistor to base from a vcc/2 node (which dosent exist). Im off to work but will mess around with it later. That 1k on the Vero is confusing me.... Isnt it connected to itself?

DjPsychic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DjPsychic »

Lani wrote: 20 Nov 2020, 12:55 So I put this on the breadboard.... It works.... sort of. It draws 110mA which is crazy. Battery will not last very long at that current. I think the common emitter stage needs a resistor to base from a vcc/2 node (which dosent exist). Im off to work but will mess around with it later. That 1k on the Vero is confusing me.... Isnt it connected to itself?
The 1k connects to the trimpot which connects to collector of Q2