Mini/Small enclosure pedals

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

so in my attempt to make a 1590A pedalboard, I'm kinda stuck on the phaser. I see that soldersound has made a phase45 layout, but I'm wondering what the lowest parts count lm13600/lm13700 phaser would be.. the tri-vibe? still too many parts for me to fit into a 1590a board (although I an trying).. any other suggestions for OTA phasers with small parts count?
causality perhaps? looks like it may be close to the tri-vibe but worth a crack I reckon.. anything else?
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

dcountry13
Information

Post by dcountry13 »

Rocklander, I did the Solderman phaser and it works, but like you seem to imply...it is just the Phase 45.

I can't even imagine a OTA phaser to fit in the 1590A even with trying a smaller LFO (?), but I'd be estatic to see one.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

well I spent the last few days trying to cram the causality into a 1590a board.. and I've done it.
it's far from checked, let alone verified and since I've popped a few layouts up here that needed LOTS of fixes, I feel guilty knowing ppl have downloaded bad boards so I wont put mine up here till I've done some more checking... it seriously looks like someone has vomited up components on the board :oops: :lol:
all caps need to be monolithic multilayer or they wont fit.. the pots (all 5 of them) will need to be 9mm (obviously) and there will be times that things have to bend around each other but I'm hopeful it'll work.. watch this space...

CodeMonk
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by CodeMonk »

rocklander wrote:well I spent the last few days trying to cram the causality into a 1590a board.. and I've done it.
it's far from checked, let alone verified and since I've popped a few layouts up here that needed LOTS of fixes, I feel guilty knowing ppl have downloaded bad boards so I wont put mine up here till I've done some more checking... it seriously looks like someone has vomited up components on the board :oops: :lol:
all caps need to be monolithic multilayer or they wont fit.. the pots (all 5 of them) will need to be 9mm (obviously) and there will be times that things have to bend around each other but I'm hopeful it'll work.. watch this space...

Waiting....... :whappen: [smilie=rlp_smilie_003.gif]

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

CodeMonk wrote:

Waiting....... :whappen: [smilie=rlp_smilie_003.gif]
lucky for you.. I've gone over this and found a LOT of mistakes.. as in, at that stage I was at ver 2.01.. this is 4.03
I think it's right now.. (just finished about an hour ago)

be great if someone wants to go over it..
caveats.. this is tight, all bipolar caps (bar one) must be monolithic multilayer and I haven't tried it into a housing to see if the electros will touch anything to stop the lid closing.....and you WILL need the schematic to relate some of the layout.. it's aallll over the place.

here y'go.
Attachments
mkII.zip
(2.51 MiB) Downloaded 122 times

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

Inspiring

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

rocklander wrote:so in my attempt to make a 1590A pedalboard, I'm kinda stuck on the phaser. I see that soldersound has made a phase45 layout, but I'm wondering what the lowest parts count lm13600/lm13700 phaser would be.. the tri-vibe? still too many parts for me to fit into a 1590a board (although I an trying).. any other suggestions for OTA phasers with small parts count?
causality perhaps? looks like it may be close to the tri-vibe but worth a crack I reckon.. anything else?
Solderman did a Tri-Vibe layout for a 1590a.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

Scruffie wrote:
rocklander wrote:so in my attempt to make a 1590A pedalboard, I'm kinda stuck on the phaser. I see that soldersound has made a phase45 layout, but I'm wondering what the lowest parts count lm13600/lm13700 phaser would be.. the tri-vibe? still too many parts for me to fit into a 1590a board (although I an trying).. any other suggestions for OTA phasers with small parts count?
wat? how did I miss that? I saw the phase45 he did.. thanks for that, I'll check it out.

..hmm.. can't see it on his site.. do you have a link?

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

rocklander wrote:
Scruffie wrote:
wat? how did I miss that? I saw the phase45 he did.. thanks for that, I'll check it out.

..hmm.. can't see it on his site.. do you have a link?
It's somewhere in the Tri-Vibe thread on DIY Stompboxes.

He also did some Flangers if you missed those too.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

Scruffie wrote:
He also did some Flangers if you missed those too.
well crap.. spent all that time doing mine.. still mine has more knobs :blackeye heh

thanks for that
link:
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... #msg676908

he's quite amazing isn't he... :shock:

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

rocklander wrote: lucky for you.. I've gone over this and found a LOT of mistakes.. as in, at that stage I was at ver 2.01.. this is 4.03
I think it's right now.. (just finished about an hour ago)

be great if someone wants to go over it..
caveats.. this is tight, all bipolar caps (bar one) must be monolithic multilayer and I haven't tried it into a housing to see if the electros will touch anything to stop the lid closing.....and you WILL need the schematic to relate some of the layout.. it's aallll over the place.

here y'go.
built this and, well I haven't found any mistakes in reference to the schematic, but it doesn't work for me.. :oops:
if I adjust the width and/or shape I can manually make it swoosh, but it doesn't do it itself. no idea how to troubleshoot so am a bit bummed about this.. try at your own risk :(

I'm gonna start over on the tri-vibe cos there's less electromechanical hardware to refer to... and I've had more success building those :blackeye

7on1
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tweed Bassman

Post by 7on1 »

Wow, reading this makes me almost wanna leave my life with veroboards behind and start etching... :)

...On the other hand, my girlfriend is already getting stressed out from me drilling enclosures in the kitchen, so maybe bringing toxic chemicals to home would be bad idea. :D

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

finally finished my 1590a board
probably going to change a couple of them: the pikelet (hotcake) for a zendrive when I've done it) and the bsiabII if it doesn't sound 'right' in my main amp (yet to try it, but into the ruby it was just not gainy enough, so will do a crunchbox instead), and am attempting to do a ross phaser using smd lm13600 chips.. will see how that pans out)

it's (right to left, in to out):
picoEQ (mad professor sea blue eq)->pikelet (hotcake)->top jimmy (bsiabII)->dr boogey->puddleduck delay (mad proff deep blue delay)->ROG tri-vibe->pulse canon (heartthrob tremolo)->zombie chorus

comparison to my main gigging board.. stage room saved!

bypass to tuner

black powerboard for stage hiddennessness

input/output jacks

guts-wiring to DC and signal paths including a buffer from the the bajaman black toast

standard laptop PSU (round 20VDC) and a filter to 3X regulated filtered (but common earth) 9V output jacks.. if the PSU ever dies, I can just wire in another .. anything up to 30V.. easy replacement programme :-)

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Clever stuff! Great looking and well crafted!
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

dlab
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: TS808 / BYOC Phase Royale / Zendrive / Random Number Generator / Fuzz Face / SD-1 (modded to Keeley specs) / miscellaneous repairs and mods (replacement of pots, LEDs and 3PDTs, jack re-wiring, adding 9V jack, etc)

Post by dlab »

:applause:

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

Great stuff! Looks awesome!
Have you ever considered using other connectors than the standard audio plugs? Maybe 3.5mm?

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

Duckman wrote:Great stuff! Looks awesome!
Have you ever considered using other connectors than the standard audio plugs? Maybe 3.5mm?
it's worth considering, but the pedals kinda need to be standard jacks in case I decide to swap them out, or some world famous kants leltner type numpty decided to pay me millions for my one ;-).
also, the mogami cable is pretty thick, so I dunno if I'd even be able to get the cables through the eyes... was one hell of a squeeze fitting them into the 3pdt actually... quite frustrating!

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

couple more 1590a boxes

a zendrive
picked up a tip at diystompboxes... after etching the PCB, I've sprayed paint on the thing (this one is a metalic purple kinda thing, but it's mostly translucent).. this keeps the copper clear from sulphur degradation which can make soldering tough.. the iron burns through the paint quick as... it's worked really well :-)

and a crunchbox.. I wasn't paying attention when I drilled the pot holes and mis-aligned them.. so capitalised on the mistake with the name :oops:

and the 1590a board is updated now too.. the hotcake wasn't to my liking, and the bsiabii is replaced by the crunchbox whilst I troubleshoot...

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

These are bicycle chain links, aren't they? Is it cheaper and/or easier than flanged boxes?
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

lolbou wrote:These are bicycle chain links, aren't they? Is it cheaper and/or easier than flanged boxes?
yup they are bike chain links. cheaper than flanged boxes (cos if you know anyone who's a mountain biker they usually have a buggered one to give you, then all you have to do is grab a chain break, then clean them in petrol), but not easier.. I am waiting for some flanged boxes to arrive.. they're much easier.. love them! just wish I could get ahold of just the flanged lids to replace all my 1590a pedals!