Analog tap tempo for PT2399

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

Breadboarded and seems to work:

SIM

Press and hold the switch to reset, ramp up, and finally hold the control voltage. Higher CV=longer delay. Some of the values are altered to make it look better in the sim. More appropriate values shown in the image below. I have them this way in the sim because it's dreadfully slow to watch the circuit operation at normal speeds.

There are plenty of other ways of doing this, sure... but there's something satisfying about using the PT2399 itself to implement the tap-tempo control.

The unlabeled IC is a 555 wired as a Schmitt trigger.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

I don't understand how to implement it, but I LOVE the idea :applause:
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

I had a nice reply outlining how it works and then Firefox froze up on me. :evil:

I'll break it down into the main blocks:

The footswitch is connected to an RC network that slows down the high-low transition and the 555 goes high when the input goes below 1/3 of the supply. The 555 also has hysteresis so altogether this is a debounce circuit. Nothing too fancy here.

The output of the 555 goes high and turns on S4, which turns on S1. S2 and S3 briefly see a logic high due to the rising edge that is let through by the 100n cap, but then they see a logic low again when the charge is bled to ground by the 1k resistor. So S2 and S3 close briefly at the beginning of the process.

S1 stays on as long as the 555 output stays high, so you keep holding the button down and current flows through the 100k into the op-amp. The 100n cap across the op-amp makes it an integrator, so the current flowing in causes the output voltage to ramp up slowly.

After a while you release the footswitch. This transition is debounced and the 555 output goes low. S4 opens, S2 and S3 remain off (no change) and the control input for S1 goes low due to the 12k and pot resistance to ground.

This open-circuit at the input of the op-amp means no current flows and the output voltage is held at the current value.

If you were to press the button again the op-amp output would again go low and slowly ramp up, release the button again and it will hold at a new value.

Now we can look at the discrete buffer. The 0-5V output of the integrator is divided in half by the 10k:10k resistors and the resultant 0-2.5V is buffered by the BJT op-amp. The output is connected to pin 6 of the PT2399. The PT2399 will respond to a control voltage between 0-2.5V by varying its delay time from minimum to maximum, respectively.

So finally the behavior of the circuit as a whole is this:

Press and hold footswitch for X milliseconds, then release. This causes the PT2399 delay time to first reset to min, then ramp up to Y milliseconds and finally remain at Y milliseconds after the footswitch is released.

The slope trim potentiometer allows you to adjust the ramp speed such that X=Y. Under this condition the footswitch is a delay time input. Hold the switch closed for 300ms, get a 300ms delay.

[edit]
Here is an updated circuit which includes the power-on reset to prevent latch-up, and the integrating resistor value is changed to 1M. The range of adjustment is between 300ms and 2000ms full-scale. That means it will take somewhere between .3 and 2.0 seconds to get the PT to produce its maximum delay time. This ought to cover any variation between different PT chips.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

Hi,
earthtonesaudio wrote:The PT2399 will respond to a control voltage between 0-2.5V by varying its delay time from minimum to maximum, respectively.
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that pin 6 was a current sensing (or sending) pin... the R to ground (digital ground) controlled how much current flowed out of it, but voltage of pin 6 remained more or less 2.5v all the time.

Regards,
Juanro
La única verdad es la realidad.

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information

I used PRR's model of the inside of a PT2399 (link) and real-life testing on my own breadboard confirms it. Driving pin 6 with a voltage source between 0 and 2.5V does indeed vary the delay time from min to max.

The difficulty of achieving this is that few standard op-amps will pull the required current down to zero volts. You could use a bipolar supply but PRR's discrete buffer does the job with a single supply.

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

earthtonesaudio wrote:I used PRR's model of the inside of a PT2399 (link) and real-life testing on my own breadboard confirms it. Driving pin 6 with a voltage source between 0 and 2.5V does indeed vary the delay time from min to max.

The difficulty of achieving this is that few standard op-amps will pull the required current down to zero volts. You could use a bipolar supply but PRR's discrete buffer does the job with a single supply.
Hey, haven't seen that! It's the cookie! :thumbsup

Juanro
La única verdad es la realidad.

Mbas974
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Mbas974 »

Is there any reason why I can't see the full schematic image ?

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

Mbas974 wrote:Is there any reason why I can't see the full schematic image ?
probably your screen resolution. right click on the image and copy it, then paste it into an image program (like photofiltre)

Mbas974
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Mbas974 »

worked ! tx Rocklander

Do you know about any succesfull built report of this ?

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

not I sorry... :-)

Mbas974
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Mbas974 »

tx again..

Anyone in this forum , did build it ?

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information

Mbas974 wrote:tx again..

Anyone in this forum , did build it ?
I built it. It basically works, meaning holding the switch resets then ramps up the delay time, but it is neither user-friendly nor optimized to work *well*.

Mbas974
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Mbas974 »

Thanks for the replay !

FYI, I have used a Tap tempo with a digital pot and a micro-controller (it's a kit from a German seller..).
It is working good. :-)