Overdrive design

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
piod
Information
my favorite amplifier: 5150

Post by piod »

Can somebody give an opinion. I quickly made ​​a prototype and it sounds very soft. But still requires further development.
Right click to see the full image

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

Based on the schematic it ought to be capable of massive distortion. Do you suspect something wrong with your build?
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

piod
Information

Post by piod »

earthtonesaudio wrote:Based on the schematic it ought to be capable of massive distortion. Do you suspect something wrong with your build?
I would like to hear the views of people with extensive experience in development more than me. If someone is interested.

Bill_Mountain
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Bill_Mountain »

I'm no expert but I doubt the diode select switch will be audible with the second stage clamping it even further. You may also want an antipop resistor on thew output as well.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

In the second stage instead of the clipping diodes being in the feedback loop you could try using them as hard clippers to ground on the output of the second opamp, maybe change them to 2n7000. Also using a 1m Pot as the gain control will give you more gain but may not make a lot f difference to your ears with having two clipping stages.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

Do you have a specific question about this circuit?
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

piod
Information

Post by piod »

earthtonesaudio wrote:Do you have a specific question about this circuit?
Is there all right with the phase of the signal?

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

piod wrote:Can somebody give an opinion. I quickly made ​​a prototype and it sounds very soft. But still requires further development.
Right click to see the full image
IC 2B (the second clipper) is superfluous, and won't add anything useful to the sound. You've wasted diodes in your symmetrical / asymmetrical stage - why not just short out the extra diode to make it symmetrical? You need more gain in that first clipper, too. Your values in the tone circuit are better for hi-fi than for music - look at the filter turnover frequencies.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

friedtransistor
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshal Class v
Completed builds: Mad Professor Deep Blue delay, Mark Hammer's Chaos Fuzz, and an overdrive for my friend at church.

Post by friedtransistor »

piod wrote:
earthtonesaudio wrote:Based on the schematic it ought to be capable of massive distortion. Do you suspect something wrong with your build?
I would like to hear the views of people with extensive experience in development more than me. If someone is interested.
I designed a similar circuit, that does do heavy distortion as well as subtle overdrive. Lemme see if I can't find it around on my posts... Ah, here it is:
https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 10&t=21948
Btw, I fixed the issue on it. I just had a faulty breadboard... :blackeye
Also, could you edit your schematic so I can see the tone controls?

EDIT:
Nvm, I just need to open the image in a new tab :slap:
For all you starwars fans...

Sorry, downsized by request.

Did I mention I love bass?