Tube Screamer Buffer

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
HydrozeenElectronics
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM 800 4210

Post by HydrozeenElectronics »

I have been bread boarding up the Tube Screamer Buffer as seen on this site: http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/blocksfragments/

only changes I have made are .1uf caps and I omitted the 1k resistor on the input.

Problem is this buffer is no where near close to Unity. I like the sound but for the life of me I can not figure why it is so quite. I have built other buffers and they where very close to unity.

I never noticed this problem with my old ts9 am I missing something here?

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Are you sure that all parts values and the orientation of the transistor are correct? 2sc1815 has a strange pinout...

HydrozeenElectronics
Resistor Ronker
Information

roseblood11 wrote:Are you sure that all parts values and the orientation of the transistor are correct? 2sc1815 has a strange pinout...
Well I subbed in 2n3904 I forgot to mention that. I noticed that the bevis page has 100k on the voltage divider but I'm seeing other schematics that have 10k. I tested my voltage and I'm getting 4.5 with 100k voltage divider.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

A voltage divider is just that, it divides the voltage into 2 parts determined by the ratio of the resistors, not the actual resistance. When the resistors are equal the voltage across each is half the supply voltage*.

The (V1) voltage across one resistor (R1) is given by

V1 = V supply * R1 / (R1 + R2)

* As long as you don't draw too much current which effectively decreases the resistor that the load is across, hence it decreases the voltage.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

HydrozeenElectronics
Resistor Ronker
Information

I swapped out my 100k divider for 10k and it is much louder now. the 2n3904 must need more current to bias even though the voltage is the same.

I do love the sound of this buffer though. Very transparent and plays well with other pedals.

Thanks

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

HydrozeenElectronics wrote:I swapped out my 100k divider for 10k and it is much louder now. the 2n3904 must need more current to bias even though the voltage is the same.

I do love the sound of this buffer though. Very transparent and plays well with other pedals.

Thanks
Correctly built, it will have no "sound" whatsoever - all it does is an impedance transformation from high to low. There's no Voltage gain at all, so what you put in comes out, but at lower impedance!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

ChargerSG
Information

Post by ChargerSG »

A 2N3904 facing towards you is EBC a 2SC1815 is ECB

Buffer is again unity gain as mentioned by people before above

Sometimes a 4k7 instead of 10k emitter has more gain, or even a lower 1k if the sound allows for it