"Personal monitoring system" design

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

rocklander wrote:hmm.. thanks.. it just went past my level of understanding :oops:
Sorry it was way past my bed time and I needed to be up early this morning so I didn't have time to explain it better.

Single ended supply - a single supply, like a battery.
Split supply - That would be like having 2 batteries one to give a +ve above the ground, the other to give a -ve. You connect the + on one to the - on the other and that is your ground. How almost all audio equipment (with the exception of stomp boxes) is designed.

On the diamond buffer (above) with a split supply, your input would be referenced to ground (the centre point of the supply voltage), and your phones would go between the output and this centre ground. It is all DC coupled so the frequency response will be flat down to DC (0Hz).

To make it single supply add the capacitor as below. Cap value (combined with phones impedance) will determine the low frequency response, bigger cap = lower frequency.
diamond buffer_SS.jpeg
diamond buffer_SS.jpeg (26.9 KiB) Viewed 180 times
Sorry for my crappy edit.

Probably best to go with mictester's LM386 because the diamond buffer is the output stage and would probably need an opamp in front of it for some gain.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

most excellent.. thanks a heap. plan is to whack together a dead bug (to 8 pin socket) of mictester's lm386 cos... no etching or cutting board, heh. I put together a simpler one last night and it works a treat, but picks up radio and is a lil noisy.. hoping MT's is clearer... cheers!
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

rocklander wrote:most excellent.. thanks a heap. plan is to whack together a dead bug (to 8 pin socket) of mictester's lm386 cos... no etching or cutting board, heh. I put together a simpler one last night and it works a treat, but picks up radio and is a lil noisy.. hoping MT's is clearer... cheers!
Years ago a friend of mine had a studio and wanted a few headphone amps. I had access to PCB facilities at work at the time so did a short run of stereo boards based on pairs of LM386s. They gave trouble free service for years. I put them in die-cast boxes which would help with the shielding.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

thanks again.. yeah, plan has always been to box them (this is a drummer we're talking about, best it be built to take the knocks ;-) )... just testing in my hands for now and I think I'm acting the part of a pretty good antenna! shielding will defo be part of the final plan...

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

again, thanks for the help. .. I built the mictester one dead bug style and it's perfect for my needs.. now I just gotta figure out the PSU.. may end up being 9V battery but it'd be nice if I can wangle it to run off nimh AAA ... will see how it goes
build pic here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12823&p=243383#p243383 8)