Square to triangle wave conversion

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
mabell313
Information

Post by mabell313 »

I have been mulling over the idea of a fuzz pedal that would create(convert) other waveforms besides a square wave, most notably triangle and sawtooth. Has anyone done an experiment such as this before? I was thinking maybe an integrator circuit using a single op amp to get the triangle conversion. I have seen a few circuits for sawtooth conversion but, not many(really none) in regards to the triangle waveform. Any thoughts/ideas would be much appreciated.

By the way, I am new here so hello to all!

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

Urr? :scratch: Maybe you are confusing the the square wave of a distorted audio signal which contains many frequencies with the triangle/square waveform of a fixed freq LF oscillator which is used as a control voltage for things like Vibrato. There is a big difference.
Phil.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

You could try checking out some of the circuits on this website:

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

mabell313
Information

Post by mabell313 »

Thanks! I have come to the realization that a triangle wave is not going to be the cheap,easy fix I was looking for. I am quite familiar with SSWSMS circuit and a good deal of inspiration came from it. It seems the likely solution is to stick with a more simplistic circuit such as the SSWSMS.

commathe
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by commathe »

You could use an integrator (an active low-pass filter without DC feedback). Though higher frequencies will create quieter outputs and lower frequencies might clip. Worth a try though!

electrip
Information

Post by electrip »

commathe wrote:You could use an integrator (an active low-pass filter without DC feedback). Though higher frequencies will
create quieter outputs and lower frequencies might clip. Worth a try though!
Every octave up should be amplified by factor 2.
(80Hz =1 160Hz =2 320 = 4 640 = 8 1,3kHz = 16)

electrip

commathe
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by commathe »

Interesting! Didn't know that relation. Thanks!