Velvet Fuss

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
jamievee
Information
Completed builds: Cornish Buffer, Fulltone FatBoost, ROG Umble, Menatone Red Snapper, Demeter Tremulator, Wampler Black 65, Wampler Ecstasy, Wampler Velvet Fuss, Box of Hall reverb, Madbean Cavedweller, MXR Dynacomp, Wampler Plexidrive, Mesa Boogie Throttlebox

Post by jamievee »

Hi chaps,

Just wondered if anyone else had made this schematic? I've put it together, checked everything is correct, but it has next to no output, very strange. Any advice? J
Wampler Velvet fuss.JPG

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

jamievee wrote: Any advice?
Measure and post voltage at all the pins of the 386, and at the drains/collector of the transistors.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

jamievee
Information
Completed builds: Cornish Buffer, Fulltone FatBoost, ROG Umble, Menatone Red Snapper, Demeter Tremulator, Wampler Black 65, Wampler Ecstasy, Wampler Velvet Fuss, Box of Hall reverb, Madbean Cavedweller, MXR Dynacomp, Wampler Plexidrive, Mesa Boogie Throttlebox

Post by jamievee »

Thanks, will do ! :)

jamievee
Information

Post by jamievee »

By the way, many thanks for the schematic in the first place Nocentelli!

Well this is kind of odd, i must have made a mahoosive balls up somewhere - the trimmer for J1 isn't changing the drain voltage, so trying to recheck all the points.

But anyway, here's my weird voltages for the 386 and the jfets - its an LM386N if that makes a difference?

1 - 1.37
2 - 0
3 - 0
4 - 0
5 - 3.77
6 - 8.79
7 - 4.36
8 - 1.35

J1 - 7.95 (as said, not changed by the trimmer)
J2 - 4.6
J3 - 4.6
Q1 - 4.47

Not making much sense now, but thanks for any input!
J

jamievee
Information

Post by jamievee »

Well, it must have been a solder bridge, as it's working now, and sounds excellent, many thanks again!

I checked and rechecked everything, and then got busy with the Stanley knife in between the tracks, and away we went!

:thumbsup

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Excellent news
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

maoriente
Information

Post by maoriente »

I'm getting hiss with either fuzz engaged, the Plexi alone is dead quiet.

I tried 3 different LM386N-1s and a bunch of MPSA18 and BC550c. All about the same noise level.

Has anyone else experienced this noise with the fuzz engaged? Is it normal?

indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by indyguitarist »

maoriente wrote:I'm getting hiss with either fuzz engaged, the Plexi alone is dead quiet.

I tried 3 different LM386N-1s and a bunch of MPSA18 and BC550c. All about the same noise level.

Has anyone else experienced this noise with the fuzz engaged? Is it normal?
Nope, not normal