Stereo overdrive

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
nonost
Information

Post by nonost »

Hi. I want to build a stereo overdrive: 2 INs & 2 OUTs.

I thought about making two identical boards, dual pots and 4pdt footswitches. But it looks like I'm missing something...Would it be okay? Or Am I just too naive?

Thanks!

Ripthorn
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ripthorn »

You could do that. Drive is just not typically done stereo because it's usually early in the chain and doesn't really add much to the "space" perception. Is there something specific you are going for?
Exact Science is Not an Exact Science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

nonost
Information

Post by nonost »

Hi. I needed it to handle stereo in order to use the Strymon Iridium (amp+cab simulator).

That's what I was thinking...I know chorus, delays and such use different ways to achieve the stereo: wet+dry for one channel & wet-dry for the other and other techniques. But that sounds really weird for an overdrive.

But as I said I have the feeling I'm not taking something into account. Something like phases, cancellations and stuff that I'm scared of :S

Do you think my dual pots + dual board will work?

Thanks for your interest Ripthorn! :)

Ripthorn
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ripthorn »

Are you saying you will run something like the output of iridium into a drive? I'm pretty sure it can take mono in and still do stereo out. You could also build a buffered signal splitter to slit any signal into stereo.
Exact Science is Not an Exact Science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Stopped using amps mostly...
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I think if you do a stereo overdrive, it should have completely independent controls for each channel. That way you could really get some interesting variation in the stereo image.
Could also be interesting if you included a very short delay in one channel for a doubling effect.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

nonost wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 18:39 ...phases, cancellations and stuff that I'm scared of :S
None of that matters unless it will be listened to in mono.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

nonost wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 18:39 Hi. I needed it to handle stereo in order to use the Strymon Iridium (amp+cab simulator).
Echoing Ripthorn's questions: are you planning to use it after the Iridium?!
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

okgb
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by okgb »

pick up a couple of low cost overdrives and experiment first, sounds like a fun try , may not be earth shattering though
you might be able to get away with a Y cable to split to the inputs, if problem may need a buffer, Have Fun!

nonost
Information

Post by nonost »

The easy and cheap way would be to split the output, but in that case the pedal couldn't handle stereo effects before it. So the dual board looks like the next step.

As soulsonic said it might be interesting having all the pots instead of using dual pots. With dual pots the pedal would handle stereo but it wouldn't add nothing to it, the stereo would be entirely up to the rest of effects.

I'm using it before the Iridium and modulation effects after the Iridium. Right before the Iridium I use a Keeley mod station with some tiny reverb to create some stereo.

The delay sounds like a good idea as well.

Many thanks for your help. I was quite lost about stereo effects and now at least I have some routes.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

nonost wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 14:24 Right before the Iridium I use a Keeley mod station with some tiny reverb to create some stereo.
If you're using the mod station to make a stereo reverb before the Iridium, why would you need the overdrive before the reverb to be stereo? Unless you just want to play with mixing two different overdrive sounds?

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

soulsonic wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 18:09 why would you need the overdrive before the reverb to be stereo?
The way I read it it would be before the Iridium but after "stereo effects" like reverb. But here's the kicker: as far as I can tell the Mod Station is not even stereo!
nonost wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 14:24 in that case the pedal couldn't handle stereo effects before it
OK, but what would these "stereo effects" be? If it's the reverb, and it's indeed stereo, do you really want overdrive after reverb? I'm not saying it's against the law, it's just a very uncommon and specific shoegazy sound. Usually the reverb would come after the cabsim, if it's stereo in and out.
Stereo pedals in general don't "belong" before overdrive, that's why we keep insisting on this issue. If a "stereo overdrive" for some minor color variations between the channels is really what you need then that's fine and trivial to make. My suspicion is that you're trying to achieve something else and got confused along the way.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

nonost
Information

Post by nonost »

Sorryyy it took me long time!

As far as I can tell you don't have a Keley Mod Workstation :)

I thought I was clear enough...my bad. I want an overdrive able to keep/maintain the stereo from other effects (delay, reverb, etc...) I don't even want to discuss the common order of pedals.

Since it looks like, by the nature of an OD, it's kind of hard to make them "create" stereo I guess the double board and some independent pots are the way to go. Maybe it's not going to be day and night but I want it. If it can't "add" to the stereo, at least it will be able to keep it up (there will be stereo effects before the OD)

I also want to try to apply the OD in the M/S domain and then convert it back to the L/R before output. Let's see if it make a difference!

Cheers!

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

hello,
if i understand correctly, you're just asking for 2 indipendent OD pedals in one box.
well, of course it's feasible, and you could also try using 2 different, already available, OD pedals ...

the only little complication that i see (if you haven't got a pedalboard switcher) is to activate\deactivate both ODs with only one footswitch, but that would be solved using a 4PDT or better a couple of relays and some more components to drive them.

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

stereo.png
The Sept. 2016 Premier Guitar review even specifically calls out the lack of a stereo output: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... ion-review
So one more time, please:
nonost wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 08:27 there will be stereo effects before the OD
Which
ones?
What would plug into the Left overdrive input and what in the Right overdrive input?

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

nonost wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 08:27 I also want to try to apply the OD in the M/S domain and then convert it back to the L/R before output. Let's see if it make a difference!
I'm sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense. Mid/Side is a stereo mic'ing technique that ensures mono compatibility by using one of the mics as a "phantom" mono channel that appears when the stereo channels are canceled out in mono. It has nothing whatsoever to do with electric guitar signals, unless you've mic'd a guitar amp with an M/S arrangement and then sent that through the effects chain. I don't see how this would apply to your situation at all, or what usefulness it would have even if it did.

nonost
Information

Post by nonost »

Ouch! Yep, my bad. I said Mod Workstation, and I meant Delay Workstation. I have them both and the only the former has stereo outputs. My bad, sorry. Even though if I'm saying a damn thing has a stereo output it's because it does.

I'm talking about stereo modulation effects before it. Don't know exactly which ones, the idea is to make a versatile thing.

The M/S technique is also used when applying distortion to a stereo image. It may be to much for just a guitar signal but I don't know till I try.

Thanks for your help!

Esto ya me recuerda a cuando planteé suministrar voltaje a un preamp de tocadiscos con una pila de 9V, para ello tenía que hacer uso de un 7660S y todo el mundo se me echó encima. Bueno pues ahí están, silenciosos y sonando que te cagas.

Cheers!