noise in TLE2426CP rail splitter

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars and basses
swampnoise
Information

Post by swampnoise »

I am currently developping an active bass preamp based on a pair of state variable filters. I need a voltage reference for the opamps. As the system uses 8 opamps (2 quads) and runs of a battery I want to keep the energy consumption down.
A TLE 2426 rail splitter has a far lower energy consumtion than a dedicated rail splitter but:
Is it noisy? Does anyone use these? Are there any problems with noise?

I see in the datasheet that with a 1uF on the noise reduction pin the noise is 30uV rms f=10Hz to 10 kHz. What exactly does this mean? Normaly I am used to seeing nV/rt Hz figures. How would this translate to nV/root Hz?

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

swampnoise » 06 Aug 2010, 15:58
I am currently developping an active bass preamp based on a pair of state variable filters. I need a voltage reference for the opamps. As the system uses 8 opamps (2 quads) and runs of a battery I want to keep the energy consumption down.
A TLE 2426 rail splitter has a far lower energy consumtion than a dedicated rail splitter but:
Is it noisy? Does anyone use these? Are there any problems with noise?

I see in the datasheet that with a 1uF on the noise reduction pin the noise is 30uV rms f=10Hz to 10 kHz. What exactly does this mean? Normaly I am used to seeing nV/rt Hz figures. How would this translate to nV/root Hz?

Hi Swampnoise,

That simply means that,for a frequency spectrum bandwith of 10Hz to 10kHz,the RMS,or Root Mean Squared signal level is 30 micro-volts peak-to-peak,the 10Hz to 10kHz is where the -3dB points are in the spectrum.... :)

Root Mean Squared is like averaging-out the maximum signal level,as if it were pure DC,it is based on the figure .707,which just happens to be the value for the angle of 45 degrees,I won't go into too much detail on that since it is a bit complex,so I'll just leave it at that,I don't know what the nV/rt Hz equivalent of 30 microvolt RMS/10Hz-10kHz is off the top of my head.... :)

1uV=1000nV (just for comparison).... :)
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

swampnoise
Information

Post by swampnoise »

Thanks DR Nomis,

That does clarify the situation quite a lot for me! It seems theres' no need to worry about it being too noisy with these specs, as my preamp does not have a lot of gain.
At present I am working against a deadline building an electric upright bass & a relic telecaster. So when these are done I'll pick up the bass preamp project again and just try it out with the rail splitter.
In the meanwhile I am still open to any suggestions or comments about the TLE2426.

kind regards