any info on reverend bass contour?

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars and basses
trevize
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by trevize »

I saw that many people seems to be happy with the reverend bass contour control, does anyone on the forum has seen the guts of those guitars?

It could be just a high pass control but maybe it's more elaborate.

scorpion victim
Information

Post by scorpion victim »

resurrected sorry, any info :?:

royzic
Information

Post by royzic »

Hi,

after opening up my Club king, i saw that the bass contour is a 1M pot with 0.001 Uf cap in a high pass fashion

i've used this method on several fuzz pedals in the input and it is a nice addition. but I've used different values. (500k pot with 0.045 cap)

hope this helps

Roy

Nikifena
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Nikifena »

this, for me, is a schematics which cut the middle frequency, and boost high and low.

SWR, eden and trace elliot have something like "contour". See some of their shematics

fergus_nz
Information

Post by fergus_nz »

its a passive bass cut, similar only in name to "contour" pots found on many amps....

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

mmm, to me, contour boosts or cuts the mids, but not the bass, In the amps I've tried, at least.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

On a Marshall Valvestate, the contour pot goes from mid-cut to hi-cut, and a hi-boost in the middle.
Worth a tonestack for me, but i digress ...
Attachments
contour.png
I only give negative feedback.

fergus_nz
Information

Post by fergus_nz »

fergus_nz wrote:its a passive bass cut, similar only in name to "contour" pots found on many amps....
like royzic said, its a pot and a cap inside the guitar.....nothing to do with amps......

TragicTravisty
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by TragicTravisty »

so its a variable version of a jaguar style bass control? i did that to my jag, but it only seemed to change in the lower range of the pot... i think it was linear though, not audio

Ben N
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg J12D Jet

Post by Ben N »

Similar to G&L.

TragicTravisty
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by TragicTravisty »

yea, its such a simple idea, and so effective, its surprising that other companies dont catch on. if youve got a treble control on almost all guitars, why do almost none have bass controls? and they are just as simple to wire.... not to mention bypassed completely at full, unlike treble controls

scorpion victim
Information

assuming im slow how is this wired :?: simple schem please

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

my Airline Town & Country has a bass roll off on the bridge and treble roll on the neck. you can get a lot of cool tones. everything from extremely thin to super fat.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Ben N
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Ben N »

Here's that G&L schematic. I'm told the Rev is similar.

scorpion victim
Information

sorry, more inept electronics know how questions :oops:

for gibson sg/paul standard wiring how do i reverse the tone pot to a high pass :?:

edited for content-

a thought just occured. the SWTC is the lowpass filter, is there a "SWTC highpass version" or something similar that would act like the bass contour knob (that has no significant gain reduction) that i could box up externally like a pedal and not worry about damaging my guitars

Ben N
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Ben N »

I'm no expert, but I would suggest putting the hipass before the volume control for that pickup (unless you want it to be a master bass control). Disconnect the pickup lead from the volume pot, remove the tone pot and lift (carefully) the tab of the tone pot that is soldered to the body. Wire the tone pot as a variable series resistor, as shown in the G&L schematic--with the wiper tied to one of the ends and your chosen cap (could be the original tone cap, to taste--t'were me, I'd probably pick something a bit larger) across the ends. Then wire one end to the tab of the volume pot where you disconnected the pickup lead, and the other to the pickup lead. Which is which depends on whether you want the amount of bass to go up or down as you roll the control up.