AtariPunkC in a guitar... volume problem.

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars and basses
GuitarlCarl
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: anything tube
Completed builds: Ds-1 mods, SD-1 mods, Small Clone mods, Muff build, Axis build, various other transistor booster builds... I can build a badaxe harmonic perc, but I can't get a fuzzface to sound worth a crap!

Post by GuitarlCarl »

I've seen this done before, so.... I built a vibrati punk console and put it in a guitar subbing photo resistors for two of the pots. No problems there unit works fine. BUT, there is a big difference in volume. The VPC is way WAY louder, than the guitars pickups straight out... It's not the pickups, they're fine. I'm thinking maybe I need a buffer of some kind. something simple, I have a little room on the perf board still, maybe one jfet and some bits... I have an on/on/on microswitch wired in and I can switch between the two now, but in the middle position it's nothing.... I believe it's wired correctly too, so...
Any ideas? :blackeye I'll see about whipping up a schemo of what I have so far.
I want it to sound like bees buzzing around in a 55 gallon drum...

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

Just add an internal trimmer (say: 100k) at the output of the VPC, possibly with a 100K series resistor so not to load the guitar pickups, and dial it down to level the signal with that of the guitar.

Juanro
La única verdad es la realidad.

GuitarlCarl
Cap Cooler
Information
Completed builds: Ds-1 mods, SD-1 mods, Small Clone mods, Muff build, Axis build, various other transistor booster builds... I can build a badaxe harmonic perc, but I can't get a fuzzface to sound worth a crap!

Post by GuitarlCarl »

Ah... should've said I did have a 500 k pot volume for it already... stupid audio taper. You have to cut it down till almost nothing before it starts to work. I think it needs something before that...

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

Ah, yes, then. Or add a fixed resistive divider before it, let's say, a series 100k and then a 10k to ground?

GuitarlCarl
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by GuitarlCarl »

Pretty simple circuit works great but ... I WANT the outputs matched between the APC and the pickups themselves...
and I'm telling you a volume control, LIKE I HAVE, isn't doing it for me.
There's more to it to balance the output of passive pickups and a powered circuit.
Maybe I need to boost my pickups, I've put an Electra in a guitar before and that works well too....
Hmm. :hmmm:

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

Carl, with a conection like that, you're loading your pickups output with the volume & tone of the APC. Moreover: if you turn down the volume, resistance to ground would be even lower and your pickups output will be low & dull too.
Yes, you can trying an active mixing, so output of the APC & guitar would be independent one from each other, but a simpler solution will work... Put a 220K resistance in _series_ with the "output to the guitar's original..." and try if that way

Juanro