Klon Centaur: the correct and final schematic

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars

Klon Centaur: the correct and final schematic

Postby soulsonic » 22 Apr 2015, 19:53

People keep using the wrong schematic!
This is the correct one. I know this has been posted here before, but I don't know what thread, and I didn't see it in an obvious place...probably buried who-knows-where. Here it is under its own topic.
KlonCentaur-Corrected-2009.GIF

Moderators, please make this topic a Sticky!

Thanks!

:horsey:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

For this message the author soulsonic has received thanks: 12
dai h. (23 Apr 2015, 09:53), Duckman (23 Apr 2015, 04:53), floris (17 Feb 2016, 23:39), ilcaccillo (13 Sep 2016, 05:02), ilshat (08 Nov 2016, 20:24), IvIark (11 Jul 2016, 23:12), Manfred (23 Apr 2015, 11:55), modman (23 Apr 2015, 10:52), rocklander (23 Apr 2015, 08:35), tophisopam (05 May 2015, 16:03) and 2 more users
soulsonic
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 291 times

Re: Klon Centaur: the correct and final schematic

Postby espinete » 06 Dec 2019, 22:19

Thanks ! I got that and i did it in two pedals.
I know this is an old thread. But there are several Klon Centaur threads and i couldn't find info about how to make the klon louder without lowering the gain. I didn't find any information about it. Does anybody how to do it in the right way ? Thanks in advance
espinete

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby espinete » 06 Dec 2019, 22:23

soulsonic wrote:People keep using the wrong schematic!
This is the correct one.

Are you sure ? I swapped R21 and R23 values
espinete

Postby Cigla tel. » 15 Dec 2019, 10:51

espinete wrote:
soulsonic wrote:People keep using the wrong schematic!
This is the correct one.

Are you sure ? I swapped R21 and R23 values

@Espinete, there is another FIXED 2019 schematics from the "Silver" unit. In that schematic we have few "corrected" values. Among other "updates", there are those changes as well about swapped resistors R21 & R23!

KlonCentaur-Corrected-2009 - fixed SILVER.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cigla tel.

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby Ichabod_Crane » 16 Dec 2019, 08:47

I'm not sure that is a "corrected" schematic, I don't know where you get that is the Silver version. I mean, it could be, but those changing seems to me just some usual mods and easy value adjustments.
For example the 430k and the 390k resistors are easier to find than 422k and 392k. D9Es diodes are replacement of the original diodes (I read that for a long time everyboy thought that the diode was a secret model and the D9E was a good choice, but the original diode was just the 1N34A, but today those diodes are not so good as well in the past.)
Some other mods are simply mods that change a bit overall gain, treble, etc.
The log volume pot is usually easier to set, I used a linear, indeed I got enough volume at 9-10 o'clock.
Then, the schematic still has the original data: year, source and author.
Ichabod_Crane
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby Cigla tel. » 16 Dec 2019, 10:50

Ichabod_Crane wrote:I'm not sure that is a "corrected" schematic, I don't know where you get that is the Silver version.
Inscription on the file: "KlonCentaur-Corrected-2009 - fixed SILVER.png", but, i can't remember where i get this picture. I posted the picture because I was reminded of the text about the swapped R21/R23 resistors.
Ichabod_Crane wrote:but the original diode was just the 1N34A

It can be, because, the 1N34A is the only germanium point-contact diode still in production. ;)
Ichabod_Crane wrote:but today those diodes are not so good as well in the past.)

Think about 1n34a? I'm not completely convinced by this story that everything that is old must be better. For example, i use original very old 1n34a diodes found in old radios from '60 - '70 (see white one on picture under)... and sound is intact, they have the same character. The differences between them and the newer are unrecognizable. The test results are not only my own, but the experiences of other guitarists who have participated in test. Talking about some of this diodes (notice on right D9E Russian):
Untitled-2.jpg

Beside this ones i have often use 1n34a with green stripe, than 1n34a with only one black stripe and inscription "1n34a",... and results are the same. Rarest ones that i have tested was old Siemens AA117 diodes.
I'm convinced, the story around the germanium diodes used in klone is just a fairy tale for kids! Put any good germanium diode and MOJO can begin. :)
But hey, how would the Clone have magical status on the list of the best overdrive pedals, haha! I think, best of the Klon is that voltage doubler and headroom that is produces by this 18v.Great move ...
Cigla tel.

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby Ichabod_Crane » 16 Dec 2019, 16:17

The story I know about the old and the newer is just a thing that a seller told me. He can't find the 1N34A, but those Russian diode could be a good replace, because the 1N34A are not anymore good like in the past, he told me.
The Russian diode is D9E as you said, very similar to the 1N34A, (but actually there's another Russian diode that could be the a better replace of the 1N34A, I don't remember the model but there's in the foruma a graphic of these Russian diode).
In my Klon DIY I find very different the D9E and the 1N34A I had. D9E sounds smoother and warmer, and I liked it much more.
Ichabod_Crane
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby soulsonic » 29 Dec 2019, 20:12

Use germanium diodes with a voltage drop around 0,35v, which is what my meter measured on the original. The name on them otherwise doesn't really matter as long as it has a similar voltage drop. It's best to buy a handful and choose ones you like the sound of best. Lower voltage drop usually sounds better. Switching to a higher voltage drop like 1N914 will give a drastically different sound that maybe you would prefer? Personally, I think having a switch to select different diodes makes this much more versatile (which is why I included that on the ones I would sell).
Using LEDs makes it very loud, but the tone is obviously going to be different than usual.
soulsonic
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 291 times

Postby espinete » 07 Jan 2020, 17:08

soulsonic wrote:Use germanium diodes with a voltage drop around 0,35v, which is what my meter measured on the original. The name on them otherwise doesn't really matter as long as ..

What is "your" way to get that measurement ?
espinete

Postby Manfred » 07 Jan 2020, 20:29

Not only the threshold voltage but also the waveform is responsible for the tone of the clipped signal,
which is why a schottky diode with the same threshold voltage as a germanium diode sounds different.
Manfred
Diode Debunker

Have thanks: 663 times

Return to Electric Guitar Rewiring