Volume pedal after buffer

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars and basses
TragicTravisty
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by TragicTravisty »

I guess this is the place to post this...

Basically, I'm wondering what the best value pot is for use after a buffer - specifically, my chain will be:
MI audio Boost 'n' Buff -> Russian Big Muff -> Volume Pedal -> Boss DD7

thanks. btw, any recommendations for a wah/volume pedal?

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

I'd say, anything that doesn't load the signal. For instance, Ernie Ball sells two passive volume pedals, the standard one uses a 250k pot, and the one that is for use with active guitars uses a 25k pot. I guess it's, in some way, to roughly imitate the volume control of your instrument.

Something cool to try would be breaking the resistive element in the pot so that when it's at maximum volume, there's absolutely no load.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

TragicTravisty
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by TragicTravisty »

I'm not as savvy as most of the guys here, but I'm confused - since the signal is no longer passive, should i use the 25k pot? or am i just complicating things? thanks.

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

Well, it would be more accurate to say that your signal now has a low impedance, so it would be safe to try the 25k potentiometer.

If it was otherwise; you taking your raw guitar signal (high impedance) into a 25k pot for the volume control, you'd lose a lot of signal.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.