Power supply design

Frequently asked questions regarding powering your pedal.
FausterCraster
Information

Post by FausterCraster »

Hi,
how to design a really low noise power supply ?
I built a lot of stuff but these never satisfy me too much...

FausterCraster
Information

Post by FausterCraster »

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

I see a lot of players with so many pedals each with insane amounts of gain so likely no psu on the planet will fix that problem. :roll:
If you build intelligent circuitry you won't need fancy PSU. :secret:
I big issue is that a lot of PSU's are now Switchmode and many are just horrible noise makers.
Phil.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

phatt wrote:If you build intelligent circuitry you won't need fancy PSU. :secret:
This ^

Pedals designed for battery operation do not always have sufficient power rail smoothing to perform well on (some) power supplies. With battery operation this isn't a problem.

Some pedals "designed" for PSU operation don't perform well because the "designer" is clueless about good circuit design practice. These pedals are best avoided.

This can be made worse if there are other pedals that generate noise (those with digital circuitry can do this) and allow it to be superimposed upon the supply rails. This noise is just amplified by the pedal/s that have poor power supply noise rejection.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012