The 'Sound' of Capacitors..

Frequently asked questions on capacitor types, ratings, brands, use and abuse.
roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Hides-His-Eyes wrote:Why, do the red ones have more haunting mids?
I have no idea. But I married her anyway

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

culturejam wrote: I tired changing from both film to both ceramic (all within a couple percent of each other). Still don't hear a difference. Must be bad ears. Because I really want to hear the difference.
There was a post over on TalkBass (yea, yea, I admit it I'm a bass player at heart) where a luthier recorded some clips using his USA Standard Jazz bass then removed the neck, bridge, strings, pickups and controls and stuck them on a piece of timber (lumber - US) from his garage and recorded the same clips. He posted 3 clips and had a poll to identify them. the number who got it right was pretty low.

The TalkBass Wood Police got their panties in a real bunch over it citing all sorts of reasons why it was invalid. One guy even wanted to discount all the votes of people who couldn't tell the difference because they couldn't be bothered to guess. :?: :?: :?:
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

:lol: :lol: :lol: best post in this thread, yet.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

CodeMonk
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by CodeMonk »

culturejam wrote:
Skreddy wrote:
culturejam wrote:... I keep failing to see a way to demonstrate some palpable difference between cap types.

Yeah, I know how to use a breadboard, despite what you might think. What I can't figure out is how to switch 4 or 5 or 6 (or more) caps at one time. One I manually swap one cap in a circuit (especially a Muff), I can't hear a big difference. I can't even hear a medium difference with one swap.

So please, tell me, how do I swap them all at once on the breadboard? Surely, all the caps are important, or else you and many others wouldn't bother to use the caps you use. I just don't know how you can effectively, realistically test one dielectric type vs another using a breadboard. But man, I really do want to know how, because it sure would be a handy skill to have.

See RG Keens article on the CD4053.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

CodeMonk wrote:See RG Keens article on the CD4053.
Yeah, but then I'll have "IC noise" getting in there, and that'll skew the listening.

CodeMonk
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by CodeMonk »

culturejam wrote:
CodeMonk wrote:See RG Keens article on the CD4053.
Yeah, but then I'll have "IC noise" getting in there, and that'll skew the listening.
True.
But if you did that for all the cap switching, wouldn't that make the noise not matter so much?
You get the same "noise" regardless of what caps are used.
I dunno, just a thought.

Shiny_Beast
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Shiny_Beast »

mictester wrote:
dread pierat wrote:mictester, you obviously have access to the internet. You should try downloading and reading a capacitor data sheet. The producers of capacitors don't agree with your "facts".
Two things:

1. As a professional electronics engineer I've read plenty of capacitor datasheets. The manufacturers DO agree with me, and their devices work just the same with sinewaves, squarewaves, triangular waves or any other waveshape or combination of waveshapes you can throw at them. The TYPE of signal is immaterial.

2. The basic laws of physics and electronics cannot be denied - even by the illustrious "Skreddy".

I really think some basic electronics theory is needed by the majority of these numbskulls....
Pretty much everybody disagrees with this point, except some electronic engineers looking at specs that probably weren't designed with passing an audio wave in mind.

I've read a bunch of technical posts/articles on the net that clearly imply how even the way a cap was wrapped at the factory may effect how it translates a sign wave. I don't know enough science to comment, but it seems more intuitive to me to think that all the specifics of a capacitor can effect it's tonal qualities than to beleive that all that matters is the capacitence rating.

You engineers see a couple specs, you want to be down to earth scientific people, so you dismiss anything that isn't on your sheet, basically take the high road and call everyone else an idiot cause they don't believe your spec sheet tells the whole picture. Meanwhile these are people that are using their ears, which is pretty material since we are talking about passing an audio signal not measuring dialectic whatever...

diagrammatiks
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by diagrammatiks »

Shiny_Beast wrote:
mictester wrote:
dread pierat wrote:mictester, you obviously have access to the internet. You should try downloading and reading a capacitor data sheet. The producers of capacitors don't agree with your "facts".
Two things:

1. As a professional electronics engineer I've read plenty of capacitor datasheets. The manufacturers DO agree with me, and their devices work just the same with sinewaves, squarewaves, triangular waves or any other waveshape or combination of waveshapes you can throw at them. The TYPE of signal is immaterial.

2. The basic laws of physics and electronics cannot be denied - even by the illustrious "Skreddy".

I really think some basic electronics theory is needed by the majority of these numbskulls....
Pretty much everybody disagrees with this point, except some electronic engineers looking at specs that probably weren't designed with passing an audio wave in mind.

I've read a bunch of technical posts/articles on the net that clearly imply how even the way a cap was wrapped at the factory may effect how it translates a sign wave. I don't know enough science to comment, but it seems more intuitive to me to think that all the specifics of a capacitor can effect it's tonal qualities than to beleive that all that matters is the capacitence rating.

You engineers see a couple specs, you want to be down to earth scientific people, so you dismiss anything that isn't on your sheet, basically take the high road and call everyone else an idiot cause they don't believe your spec sheet tells the whole picture. Meanwhile these are people that are using their ears, which is pretty material since we are talking about passing an audio signal not measuring dialectic whatever...

hey man don't lump all engineers together with mictester.

i can't wait till mictester tells us about his hollow earth/polypropylene capacitors tool of bankers conspiracy theory.

since if all caps are the same...you'd only ever need one dielectric right?

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

"If the listening test is repeatable, you're doing it wrong."
-Dr. Emmett "Doc" Brown
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

diagrammatiks wrote:since if all caps are the same...you'd only ever need one dielectric right?
This is kind of the other pole to what I was thinking. If just one type of specific dielectric application was "audibly different in the right way," why would we use any other type? Why does it always end with, "just try it and you will find out?"

Have we all been just blindly using any cap, or is the difference negligible? Does it require anything scientific just to figure this out?

For the record, I've used every type of dielectric that I could fit into many different Big Muff builds, and any differences that I've heard I could not in good faith account to the capacitors. Even so, the differences were never better or worse per se, because they were so small. And this was with none of them spec'ed to make everything otherwise equal, they had different transistor types, etc.

It would be cool to hear a profound difference, especially one that would make me decide to go with one dielectric over others. If I'm not hearing something that is clearly there, I guess I should be thankful, since it makes cap selection easier - just grab the value that I need, and concentrate on other things.

I've come to the conclusion that a specific type of circuit would need to be created to over-emphasize the audibility. But that wouldn't be an existing pedal that anyone would use.

Lots of talk about why it should sound different. It never seems to get many steps beyond that.

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

Saying you can hear a difference when you know what type of cap is in there is worthless.. the human brain for notorious at fooling us into thinking we hear what we expect to hear (a difference.. an improvement).
It's merely opinion as opposed to fact.

Likewise, test equipment can show characteristics that cannot be heard, and things can be heard that cannot be tested.

If you can consistently pick the cap type in a true blind test when switching between types, (and the values are exactly the same), then you can hear the difference.
How many have actually done this though ?
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

kleuck
Cap Cooler
Information
Completed builds: I build and sell my own :)

Post by kleuck »

Something i just remembered : when i compared cables capacitances and sound, two cables with the same capacitance sounded slightly different in highs, one was a little "harsher" than the other.
On the french forum, other people compared the same cables, and got the same conclusion.
It was the Sommer Spirit vs Cordial 122, the Cordial being more "aggressive"
Not a huge difference, but a true and repeatable one.
Randall Aïken said :
Q: Is there any advantage to using solder with a 2% silver content?
A: Yes. Silver solder keeps werewolves away from your amp.

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

Did they know which one was "harsher" beforehand? Can you measure a change in impedance in the high-end? :)
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

kleuck
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by kleuck »

FiveseveN wrote:Did they know which one was "harsher" beforehand? Can you measure a change in impedance in the high-end? :)
They knew, as we were comparing on a dedicated thread.
Did not measure "impedance in the Hi-end" only capacacitance -and resistance, but just to be sure the cables were properly built.
Anyway, with a serie resistance of 0,000003 ohms in a 1M ohms amp...

For example -i did not have the Sommer Spirit for the first recording, but my preferred old cable (don't know the brand) gave similar results (after that i ordered Cordial 175 and Sommer Spirit, did live comparison, but no samples as i would have need to re-do with all the cables, some i gave to my sons)

Old Hi-End Cable total capacitance 490 pf

Cordial122 total capacitance 570 pf

The Cordial should be the less bright, the smoother : it's not the case.
Randall Aïken said :

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

All I can hear is a slightly lower cutoff frequency, which is exactly what one would expect: http://buildyourguitar.com/resources/lemme/ (see the part about varying capacitance--Figure 8 ).

I dunno, maybe something got lost in translation. Describing a subjective sensory experience in words is hard enough, I guess it's even harder in a foreign language.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

kleuck
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by kleuck »

I know this link : i post it very often (and this one) to explain what is really the interaction between PU & Cable :) ; even here for the sake's of our preferred "professional electronics engineer" :mrgreen:
But don't focus on the average bandpass, only on the highs, if your PC is connected to a good Hi-Fi amp, you will hear that the Cordial sounds brighter and harsher, which is theoretically not to expect with a higher capacitance (BTW, the Cordial has a very low capacitance, but mine is a little longer than my old cable : 5m30 for the old cable, and 6m15 for the Cordial).
Not a huge difference, but the kind you can expect from two different caps technologies, to me, here, it's almost like polystyrene cap vs ceramic when used in a Treble Booster (filter of course)
Actually, i'm SURE the best effect to really compare caps IS a Treble booster.
Must say that i did not change anything between recording, nor did i turn off the amp : just swap cables.
These samples are not the only tests i made of course, i just had to make some, but i compared a lot before.
FiveseveN wrote: I dunno, maybe something got lost in translation. Describing a subjective sensory experience in words is hard enough, I guess it's even harder in a foreign language.
Ho yes, very hard when it comes to subtle things, and we do are talking subtle things.
Randall Aïken said :

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Greg wrote:If you can consistently pick the cap type in a true blind test when switching between types, (and the values are exactly the same), then you can hear the difference. How many have actually done this though ?
Let's do this!
Nocentelli wrote:Set-up a simple fuzz e.g. BMP with agreed values and a fixed gain and tonestack, play a 10 second riff via a looper and swap out a single coupling cap between 100n poly, ceramic and 0.1u electro. Record five passes of each, then chop the file up to scramble the order of the loops, and we'll vote on which out of the 15 are which cap.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

kleuck
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by kleuck »

In pedals, i did not really hear any difference (except for the TBs) -mine have always a minimum numbers of gain stages (2 max at the moment)- but i'm pretty sure that a BM with only polystyrene caps in the feedback loops will sound very differently from à BM with only ceramic caps in the NFBs.
Greg wrote:Saying you can hear a difference when you know what type of cap is in there is worthless.. the human brain for notorious at fooling us into thinking we hear what we expect to hear (a difference.. an improvement).
It's merely opinion as opposed to fact.
Likewise, test equipment can show characteristics that cannot be heard, and things can be heard that cannot be tested.
Not really true, because test equipment can only show you what you are seeking -among the things it can measure, and real world equipment is not always able to measure a lot of things.
Ears (and brain of course) on the contrary do not have to measure one and only thing at a time ; and more important, they ARE the final "customers" of our sound chains, so, the final judges after all.
When i play, it's for my ears, not for my DMM.
Randall Aïken said :

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

diagrammatiks wrote: since if all caps are the same...you'd only ever need one dielectric right?
Right - but only if caps were used for just audio, then we would need a very limited number of types.

Audio is almost a spin off as it covers the very lowest bit of the frequency spectrum of most caps. Most of their differing properties - able to operate at high frequencies, high voltages/current/AC, self healing, etc are not utilised.

From when I was at college I cannot think of a single cap type that was quoted as 'good for audio', most were aimed at radio frequency applications or AC phase shift and power factor correction.

Back then mojo hadn't been invented and snake oil was just a gleam in a young marketing man's eye so manufacturers data was all we had to go on for selecting dielectric types.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

Diamond
Information
my favorite amplifier: Blackface Fender Bassman
Completed builds: Ampeg Scrambler, Fuzz Face x4, Fuzzrite, Tonebender MKII, Green Russian Big Muff, Green Ringer, Colorsound Overdriver, Nurse Quacky, Ross Phaser, Rebote 2.5, Blue Box.

Post by Diamond »

culturejam wrote:Okay, just did a very unscientific test with some caps.

I built up a Bazz Fuss on my breadboard. MPSA18, 1N914, 100n film output cap (measured 102.2 nF), 100K resistor off the collector (measured 99.7K), emitter grounded.

I used 5 different caps for the 100n input cap and measured them with my Atlas LCR. All of them were rated for 100v or less. Here's what I tested:

• FILM - 101.81 nF (cheap-ass green chicklet)
• FILM - 100.64 nF (pricier Panasonic ECQ)
• CERAMIC - 101.00 (multilayer ceramic, AVX)
• FILM - 101.4 nF (WIMA box cap)
• CERAMIC - 99.86 (cheap-ass disc cap)

Played the same basic cheesy 80s metal lick a few times with each cap. Went through all the caps 3-4 times.

The results? Well, I can't hear a difference at all between these caps, at least in the function of the input cap of a simple Bazz circuit. And I REALLY wanted to. Badly. It would be so much more awesome for me if I could hear a difference.

I will be trying this same test with other circuits to satisfy my yearning to actually hear some difference that is meaningful.

I did notice that the cheap-ass ceramics were mostly all way under the rated value. The first couple I tested were around 70nF! None of them were over 100nF, and I had to test about 50 of them to find one that was within 1% of the rated value. The film caps were mostly over value by a little. So for my money, I'll probably be getting multi-layer ceramics, as they seem to be a LOT more consistent and they are much smaller.

Fun stuff!

(and by the way, I am continually amazed at how awesome the Bazz Fuss sounds for so few parts)
Great post!