Widening veroboard holes?

Frequently asked question on the subject of designing, creating, producing printed boards, veroboards or perfboads and on point-to-point construction techniques.
Spefinzephyr
Information

Post by Spefinzephyr »

So I've noticed on a few layouts there will be two components or jumpers that share the same hole/connection on the copper strip. Is there a method to this or do I just use my poker radio shack tool thing to widen that hole and try to compromise the copper strip as little as possible?

CodeMonk
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by CodeMonk »

Widening the holes may break the connection between the sides on either side of the hole.
Big globs of solder might fix that though.
Another option is to use holes on two strips next to each other and jumper them (and trace cut as needed).

I vary rarely work with vero though so someone with more experience may chime in with a better answer.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

IMO 2 leads into 1 hole is bad practice on the part of whoever laid it out.

Vero is what it is and has it's pros and cons, it is quick, easy and non-messy but usually produces a larger board than etching a PCB. If you want a super compact layout then the answer is a PCB not 2 leads in 1 hole.

I have opened up holes in vero for larger leads using a suitable sized drill held in an engineers pin chuck*, turned by hand.

For a slotted hole use a drill the size of the original hole and carefully rock the pin chuck one way then the other while turning it. Clean out the ends of the slot by (very gently) applying sideways pressure while turning (or using a filing action). Too much side pressure will result in snapping your drill bit. Use a HSS (High Speed Steel) drill not a carbide.

*Engineers Pin Chuck
http://www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk/p57 ... _info.html
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

http://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.co.uk ... tAod2HcAjw

What you need is a bradawl!

The great thing about vero is that you can make it as big as you like - think rack size! :D

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

I try to avoid putting 2 components in a single hole when I'm doing layouts, in fact I think there is only one layout where I did it, the Green Ringer because I would have had to make the layout 3 columns wider if I didn't. The diodes have thin leads and fit easily, and even using Dale CCF55 resistors which have thick leads, they went in easily enough when I built it, and common blue metal film resistors with thin leads will fit in easily. But as far as links are concerned I will always put 2 links in a single hole if it will potentially keep the board size down. The links I use are these and you will easily slide two in a single vero hole without having to force them in. Likewise, as noted above, the same is true if you use resistor offcuts for your links from the common MF25 metal film resistors.

If you want to keep the layout size down, opting for a PCB may be an option but if I can keep a vero layout size down by doing something so innocuous as putting two links in a single hole, then I'd much prefer to do that than the alternative of having a larger layout or having to resort to PCBs. As far as bad practice, well I think that is in the eye of the beholder rather than a recognised standard, it seems like sensible practice to me as far as a vero layout is concerned with thick copper tracks (compared to PCBs) and plenty of space to solder. I certainly can't think of any real objection in terms of the quality of mechanical connection or stresses.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

IvIark wrote:.... As far as bad practice, well I think that is in the eye of the beholder rather than a recognised standard,..
Couldn't agree more, I did qualify it with "IMO" and I had hoped that YMMV was implied.

Having had to work on boards with 2 component leads in one hole it is a complete PITA so in my book it is bad practice.

2 links into one hole is fine as I have yet to see a link go faulty or need it's value changing.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012