hand painting w/ brush and acrylic paint

Frequent question about boxes and accessories: painting, etching, clearcoating, lettering, glueing, and so on.
Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

hey guys,

today i started finishing my first box because i got tired of having to buy boring solid-colored boxes that are pricey and the all aluminum look gets old pretty quickly.
I don't have any experience and most guys spraypaint their enclosures, but as I live in a flat without a balcony i don't really have that option here. So i tried handpainting the enclosure with a brush with what I have at hand, which is acrylic hobby paint.
I sanded the box and then applied the paint with a brush without a basecoat. Now the paint streaked a bunch, which at first i didn't like but then i tried to work with it and get a pattern that might look cool. After doing the box and letting it dry, i applied a clearcoat of acrylic hobby paint with the brush. Then another. It looks better than expected (to me) but before I go on I have some questions.

- Should I (wet-)sand the clearcoat before applying more of them? How fine should the sandpaper be for that?
- I there any disadvantage to doing it this way? Will the finish crack easily or flake?
- I wanted to go for a BJF kinda look (i'm doing a deep blue delay), so the labeling of the knobs etc would be handwritten. Should i use a brush or a marker for that?
- how would one go about getting a solid coloring on there that is covering? How about a transparent but solid color?

Here's what I got so far (go easy on me) :hug:
I went with wavy because the name "deep blue delay" reminds me of water and waves
I went with wavy because the name "deep blue delay" reminds me of water and waves
I like that the aluminium shines through which gives kind of a metallic, shiny look
I like that the aluminium shines through which gives kind of a metallic, shiny look

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

i guess i will try using a basecoat next time and thin the acrylic with water (i read that's possible) to get thinner layers of paint.

I've been looking at some BJFe pedals to get a better idea of the font and style and the old ones look much more shabby than the Bearfoots, which i prefer the look of by a long shot. I heard Donner made a special font that he screenprints the pedals with to make it consistent and whatnot.

Anyway, I was thinking what fon color would go with the color of the box? I reckon black or white, with white being what i will probably use. I would drill, paint and then apply another 2-3 clear coats and call it a day.

decora
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by decora »

looks cool and maybe faster than spraypaint if you have a bunch of boxes to finish at once. will give a try, thanks for the idea!

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

decora wrote:looks cool and maybe faster than spraypaint if you have a bunch of boxes to finish at once. will give a try, thanks for the idea!
thanks for you input. obviously this is a work in progress.

i painted a box with basecoat underneath yesterday. looks pretty cool, although it was a little difficult because I had drilled the holes before and they would fill with paint. I'll try to post some pictures later today, the basecoat makes it look way neater. also i used two coats of paint.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

dpd_clone.jpg
dpd_clone.jpg (48.9 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
dpd_clone2.jpg
dpd_clone2.jpg (40.17 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
gold_enclosure.jpg
gold_enclosure.jpg (34.41 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
gold_enclosure2.jpg
gold_enclosure2.jpg (37.22 KiB) Viewed 2410 times

BaklavaMetal
Information

Post by BaklavaMetal »

color looks great!
don't like the letters though. u used brush or marker? by looking at it i would say brush.
but coloring is great, will steal :D

cheers!

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

BaklavaMetal wrote:color looks great!
don't like the letters though. u used brush or marker? by looking at it i would say brush.
but coloring is great, will steal :D

cheers!
yeah i used a really small, fine brush. tried to go for a BJFe look on the lettering, since it's a Björn Juhl design, kind of an hommage i guess. I like it though. :thumbsup

skylark44
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by skylark44 »

I actually like it Seiche...the different swirls do remind me of waves. Try using a combination of a base color, and silver...that would make the patern stand out even more :wink: . (I like to use automotive spray-paints, because they come in really cool & unusual colors, especially the Import colors :wink: ). Nice job, keep it up! :mrgreen:

decora
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by decora »

Turned out good! White lettering on blue works. How about using stencil next time for lettering? ...tedious though.

second box look cool too. is that gold acrylic?

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

decora wrote:Turned out good! White lettering on blue works. How about using stencil next time for lettering? ...tedious though.

second box look cool too. is that gold acrylic?
I have thought about stencils, but they are tedious and hard to align straight, etc. I think I will go with decals for the lettering in the future.

yes, the second box is finished in gold acrylic.
JBFF.jpg
JBFF.jpg (20.22 KiB) Viewed 2349 times