Breadboard Power Supply

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Hey Everyone,these are a couple of pics of a Breadboard Power Supply which I designed myself,it is easy to build,and has positive and negative supply outputs which can be independantly varied from about 1.7 Volts to 19 Volts,and can supply a maximum of 500mA..... :)

I was wondering if there would be any interest in making this a constructional project for all members of Freestompboxes.org,I can supply all constructional details of my Breadboard Power Supply...... :)
Attachments
Insides Of My Breadboard Power Supply.... :)
Insides Of My Breadboard Power Supply.... :)
My Breadboard Power Supply.... :)
My Breadboard Power Supply.... :)
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Yes I'd be interested in something like this. At the moment I just use a battery snap to the power rails so something like this would be a good alternative.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Cool Iviark,

There is some mains wiring involved in the construction of this power supply,do you have a friend who is competent in mains wiring?

I'll be drawing up the schematic for this and uploading a pic of it this weekend,so stay tuned.... :)
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

DrNomis wrote:There is some mains wiring involved in the construction of this power supply,do you have a friend who is competent in mains wiring?
:secret: I was an engineer at Siemens for 14 years, so I've got that one covered!
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

No worries then Iviark.... :)

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Okay,just give me a few minutes and I'll draw up the schematic of the power supply and post it here for you Iviark.... :)

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

And here it is,the Schematic of my Breadboard Power Supply,feel free to build this for your own use.... :)

Brought to you in the True Spirit of Freestompboxes.org..... :)

You may be able to suggest any improvements,and,or refinements.... :)
Attachments
Breadboard Power Supply Schematic
Breadboard Power Supply Schematic

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Cheers Simon, I'll check it out

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

No worries at all mate..... :)

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Oh,i just realized that I didn't include the specs for the mains fuse that is after the power switch,it is a 1A 250Vac type,I know,probably a bit overated for the job..... :)

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

The Datasheets for the LM317T,and LM337T Adjustable Voltage regulators,specify a maximum current output for these devicces of 1.5A,but,using a 2N3055 and an MJE2955,you can boost the output current capability up to 3 Amperes,or up to something like a massive 10 Amps.... :)

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Just thought I would do a quick update..... :)

If anyone is planning on building this design for themselves,make sure that the primary winding of the power transformer you use is rated for the mains voltage in your part of the world,the mains voltage supplied to your wall socket is not the same for all parts of the world,I live in Australia and the mains voltage is 240Vac @ 50Hz..... :)

The mains voltage in America is something like 110 or 120 VAC @ 60Hz.... :)

England,I think is 230 VAC @ 50Hz.... :)

Europe,I think is 220 VAC @ 50Hz or it could be 60Hz..... :)

The secondary voltage rating of the power transformer for this power supply can be a centre tapped 15VAC-0V-15VAC @ 500mA,or anything up to 1A.

I used a couple of small heatsinks bolted directly onto the metal tab of each regulator,in operation,the two regulators should not get very hot unless alot of current is being drawn from the supply.... :)

Note,be very careful when doing the mains wiring,get someone to double check that all mains wiring has been done correctly,because there is very little room for error,one error could result in a danger of electrocution,so please be careful.... :)

Use heatshrink tubing to cover any solder connections that may have mains voltages on them,particularly those on the power switch and mains fuse holder.... :)

CRBMoA
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by CRBMoA »

Pardon me for being dense.

I built a similar device 20 years ago, and use it to this day.

It is variable from about 3.0V to 36V DC. But when I hook a load to it, since there is no voltage regulation, I experience a voltage drop. Nominal, but it exists.

Is there a way around this, or is it the nature of the beast?
atreidesheir wrote: Let's build some damned pedals!

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

CRBMoA wrote:Pardon me for being dense.

I built a similar device 20 years ago, and use it to this day.

It is variable from about 3.0V to 36V DC. But when I hook a load to it, since there is no voltage regulation, I experience a voltage drop. Nominal, but it exists.

Is there a way around this, or is it the nature of the beast?

If you could post a schematic,I could probably work out what's causing the voltage drop.... :)

This design of mine uses two 3-terminal adjustable voltage regulators,normaly,a small trimpot is used to set the output voltage,but I used a standard 24mm 5kLinear pot instead of a trimpot,I wanted to design an easy to build power supply for my breadboards and be able to set the positive and negative volts to wherever I wanted it... :)

Hmmmm...it could be that when you hook a load up to your power supply,it has trouble supplying enough current,what is the current rating of your transformer?..... :)

The best way around the issue you are having with your power supply,that I can think of,is probably to improve the regulation of it,or if you want,feel free to build a power supply from my design,for yourself.... :)

All values of components are exactly what I used in my build..... :)

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

DrNomis wrote:
....I live in Australia and the mains voltage is 240Vac @ 50Hz..... :)

The mains voltage in America is something like 110 or 120 VAC @ 60Hz.... :)

England,I think is 230 VAC @ 50Hz.... :)

Europe,I think is 220 VAC @ 50Hz or it could be 60Hz..... :)
Since 2000, Australia is actually "officially" 230 V 50 Hz.. same as UK and most of Europe.

Nothing has really changed, as 240 V still comes within the tolerance of +10% -6%, but we're officially the same as Europe and any device meant for there is good for use in Australia... after a plug change.
This is especially cool when buying things like amplifiers.
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Thanks for that Greg_G,cheers mate... :)

jstbrowsin
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by jstbrowsin »

Hi guys,

last year at tech we built something similar to Dr Nomis supply however I fear it was a bad design because after about 4 hours of use (using a range of 9V - 18V depending on what I am working on at the time) it blows the caps and sometimes even the transistors. :slap: Damn awful smell (go on you know :lol: ) and a bloody loud bang! :shock:
If possible could one of you kind people look over this schem for me and tell me what I need to change to make this a more reliable supply please?
Any help would be gratefully appreciated thanks.
Attachments
30V_DC_Supply.png
kev01 wrote:This one wins the gooooooooooop award. That has more silicone than Pamela Anderson.

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

jstbrowsin wrote:Hi guys,

last year at tech we built something similar to Dr Nomis supply however I fear it was a bad design because after about 4 hours of use (using a range of 9V - 18V depending on what I am working on at the time) it blows the caps and sometimes even the transistors. :slap: Damn awful smell (go on you know :lol: ) and a bloody loud bang! :shock:
If possible could one of you kind people look over this schem for me and tell me what I need to change to make this a more reliable supply please?
Any help would be gratefully appreciated thanks.
The way DrNomis built his power supply is practically right out of a National Semiconductor Linear Data Book. It is a typical
way to build a variable +/- supply. Your version is a little different. You don't really have a +/- supply. You have two
semi independant power suppies. The - and + indicators on the bottom supply are inaccurate. They should be identical to the
one above it. You have two 1.25V to 26V positive suppies. You can jumper the true + of the bottom supply to the - of the
upper supply and have a variable supply of up to about 52V. Or, jumper them the same way and use that as ground for a +/-
supply. You didn't state which way the LM317(s) were packaged.....T or K. But, either way, at the current levels possible on
this supply, they will need a great deal of heatsinking. My guess heat is killing your supply. Inadequate heat sinking is probably
the culprit.
“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Yeah,I can see what's happening in the schematic,basically the two supplies are identical,that is,they are both positive supplies,one of them is labeled with incorrect polarity indicators,one has the negative terminal where the positive terminal should be,I think the supply would work much better if an LM317T AND an LM337T are used instead of two LM317T regulators,I have had my Power Supply running for much longer than 4 hours and it did not blow any capacitors or semiconductors,and still continues to work fine.... :)

I also noticed that,if the two outputs ate connected to obtain positive and negative supplies,the ground connection will be floating..... :)

The circuits I used for the design came from a Jaycar Electronics Catalogue,I included a heatsink for both regulators,and I have had no issues whatsoever with overheating,even though the heatsinks are in a closed case with no ventilation holes (I might sort that out soon).... :)

Also,you have FC1 and FC2 as 4000uF capacitors,but no "Working-Voltage" specified for them,I'm assuming that they are most likely 50V Caps,if they aren't,I would suggest using 50V Caps or maybe 65V Caps for them..... :)

If anyone wants to use my power supply design,feel free to do so,since the design uses standard building blocks and design practices,and can't be copyrighted.... :)

jstbrowsin
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by jstbrowsin »

Thanks Pokey Pete and Dr Nomis for your input. Most appreciated.
I guess I should have been more specific with my info, the caps that blow are the C1 & C2 and they are rated at 63V, in turn they also blow the 2N3055 T03 transistors that have a huge heatsink. The LM317's are T package and there are no heat sink's attached :oops: but I can remedy this 8) . The filter caps are rated at 75V so I think they should be safe too eh.

Ok so going on your advice I change the LM317T in the neg supply to LM337T and add heat sinks.
Would it also be advisable to double the size of resistance (R1-R2) to slow the current and save the transistors and everything else?

[quote="DrNomis"]
I also noticed that,if the two outputs ate connected to obtain positive and negative supplies,the ground connection will be floating..... :)

Pray do tell how can I remedy this please?

Thanks again for all you help guys :)
kev01 wrote:This one wins the gooooooooooop award. That has more silicone than Pamela Anderson.