How do you store your components?

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
noelgrassy
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: MOTS Magnatone & Trainwreck
Completed builds: Tonebender Mk II w/ 3 OC75's, Burns BuzzAround w/NKT 275,Rangemaster w/ OC44, Fuzz Face w/ SKS363's, CJOD, Harmonic Percolator w/2N404A & 2N3635(vintage correct box,sliding pots, 1%glass resistors),Stack-O-Dimes & Whipple Wahs,

Post by noelgrassy »

I've got a lot of parts with long leads that take up a lot of room in their little compartments. Take for instance, axial caps. Do you kinda fold the leads back onto the cap so it doesn't sprawl all over or what? I'm sick to death of the giant bags full of mixed parts and I'm trying to get order in my shop of horrors. Here's what I'd like to shave------------------Image
Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed. US Copyright Office

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Wow Noel, that place is really packed, but still everything within hand reach, real personal and grown organically it seems :D This would be a cool pic for a "How many tools can you identify competition?"

You really have to squeeze those cap in there somewhere? I keep a small amount of every type the biggest tray I could find, the rest sorted in plastic bag for 'refills'.
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

AL
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by AL »

You've got some work to do. Pick a spot and start. I wouldn't try and do too much at once you'll get overwhelmed.

I have my most common parts in parts bins - the stand up kind with the pull out drawers. They're right in front of me so I can "grab and go" with them. Other, less common parts, are in bins as well but I've been using bait/takle bins for fishing. The clear plastic kind - that way I can stack 'em up on top of each other. I label all the bins and the sides of the boxes. Easy to get to. Sifting through bags of resistors is a massive PITA and ridiculously time consuming - you're much better off having them stored, sorted and labeled.

Paul Marossy (I think) had a great approach. EVERY time he walks into his shop area he puts away 5-10 items (pick a number). It's amazing how well that works.

Good luck.

AL

Ronsonic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ronsonic »

As I contemplate with escalating horror the necessary cleaning and reordering of my shop, I look upon that photo as a sign that I am indeed blessed.

Good luck, my brother in chaos.

I use little plastic drawer bins and yes, fold the leads gently.

Ron