How to do interconnect with hook up wiring

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
JCathead
Information

Post by JCathead »

Hi all,

I am about to start building some projects from Andertons EPFM and DIY Projects books. I've taught myself how to solder etc and is going well. Before I try etching my own PCBs etc I want to try some simple projects. However, I have a query about connecting hook up wire for P2P connections and how to do this for intersecting wire connections on a schematic. I will be using a small Hole Board for some of the more simple projects but I am a little confused about the nuts and bolts of connecting two wires together at an intersection (shown with a dot on a schematic). Any pointers or video tutorials welcomed!

Thanks in Advance

Josh

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

Im not sure if I get what you are saying completely, but I think you want to put multiple leads in one hole and forgo the hookup wire if possible. Check out the images in this page: http://www.forrestwhitesides.com/node/42. There is also a link to the schematic up near the top.

If you hole are too small to accommodate all the parts in the same hole then you would have to run a wire to connect one hole to the next and put some parts in one hole and some parts in the next. Using a small gauge wire for the hookup would be the way to go so you would have more room for the other parts.

Let me know if I totally missed the point... :D

JCathead
Information

Post by JCathead »

Thanks for the reply Cheezor :-)

I think I wasn't clear enough. I am talking about working off a schematic and were the 'dot' means that wires are connected/intersect. Should they be 'terminated' at the point of connection, and if so how? Should I solder bits of wire to make end-to-end connections or for a longer section of wire should I remove the insulation from the middle section and wrap the connecting wire around it.

Apologies again, if I'm not clear.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

not sure what you're saying either
just do this

if you have a "T-intersection" just connect all the wires at that point. don't use insolated wire and strip half the insolation in the middle or something, just connect them straight on the board.

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

Can you post the schematic in question?

JCathead
Information

Post by JCathead »

Seiche wrote:[...]
just do this
Thats it! Great. Really useful.

Seiche wrote:if you have a "T-intersection" just connect all the wires at that point. don't use insolated wire and strip half the insolation in the middle or something, just connect them straight on the board.
Again, really useful. Thanks. I had insulated hook up wire and had mental images of spending ages stripping fiddly bits.

Cheers

Josh
Last edited by JCathead on 14 Jun 2012, 07:21, edited 2 times in total.

JCathead
Information

Post by JCathead »

CHEEZOR wrote:Can you post the schematic in question?
Thanks Cheezor, no need. I think I'm on the right track now. Thanks for your help.