First DIY Pedal Shoot the Moon

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
jer04
Information

Post by jer04 »

Hello everyone,
I wanted to do my first DIY pedal, but I had two questions about the "Shoot the Moon" layout (http://www.grindcustomsfx.com/forum/vie ... ?f=14&t=13).

I have some really basics knowledges on electronic and I see that there is no stompswitch on this layout.
How to add one?
Is it as simple as linking the stompswitch to the input and to the output?

On the layout there is no informations about D1 and D2, are there just LED lights?

Thanks
and sorry for my bad english, I hope my questions are clear.

Motter
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Motter »

Yes, input and out put are wired to the stompswitch, like this (or any other way you want to do it):

D1 and D2 are both LEDs, and D2 should be pointed at the LDR, while I'm pretty sure D1 can be outside the pedal to provide a speed indication.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

There's lots of other great wiring diagrams at http://www.beavisaudio.com/projects/Loo ... /index.htm and plenty of other useful circuit stuff for someone starting out with diy.

D2 should probably be sealed facing the LDR together in heat-shrink: The LED/LDR acts as an optocoupler, and if they are knocked out of alignment there will be no effect.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

jer04
Information

Post by jer04 »

Thanks a lot!
I have recieved all the components I need.
I will see if it works :D
and post some pictures when it is done (if you want to and maybe in another post?).

Thanks again!

jer04
Information

Post by jer04 »

Hello again!

I have done everything as the layout, but it is not working very well...

The sound is very low and I am not sure that the effect is working.
I have controlled all the bridges and cuts with an ohmmeter.
I do not know where the problem is.
I have to control the jack input because the D1 is lit only when I plug the jack (after it turns off) and I took an old jack connector.
I have also done something I am not sure about : on the layout about the switch there is two differen grounds, so can I join the two jacks (in and out) to the same ground (dark grey cable on the layout) ?

Thank you and sorry again for my bad english. :D

jer04
Information

Post by jer04 »

Hello again!

I have done everything as the layout, but it is not working very well...

The sound is very low and I am not sure that the effect is working.
I have controlled all the bridges and cuts with an ohmmeter.
I do not know where the problem is.
I have to control the jack input because the D1 is lit only when I plug the jack (after it turns off) and I took an old jack connector.
I have also done something I am not sure about : on the layout about the switch there is two differen grounds, so can I join the two jacks (in and out) to the same ground (dark grey cable on the layout) ?

Thank you and sorry again for my bad english. :D

microsynth
Information

Post by microsynth »

Posting pictures of both sides of your layout will help us look for possible problems.

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand your second question. In pretty much every circuit, ground is ground. You want everything tied to the same ground. Doesn't matter what color of wire you use.

jer04
Information

Post by jer04 »

Hello,
I found the problem and everything works fine!
On the layout the Smooth is a 500R potentiometer and on another schematic it is a 500K so I changed to a 500K pot' and everything is OK.
Thank you all!