jacks problems

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
copachino
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by copachino »

hi all, i think i have problem with my jacks, i can build anything, and the sound its only ground, but voltages are ok, in everything i have made, i have build many pedals, so i dont doubt my soldering skills, but i have tried something that mayme doubt of my jacks, if i use a two jacks, and solder a lead in the tip of the jack and the join tip to tip, i cant get any sound, as far as i know it should work but i dont gat any sound, its that normal?? or my jacks are bad??

davent
Information

Post by davent »

Need to connect the two jacks grounds as well.
dave

copachino
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by copachino »

davent wrote:Need to connect the two jacks grounds as well.
dave

if there its not circuit can i ground them anywhre??? as long as the both jacks share the same ground, or am i missing someting??

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

If you solder a wire from the tip connection of one jack to the tip connection of the other jack, provided that the two sleeve conections are connected together, you should get sound, if you aren't getting sound there could be one of three possibilities:

1, the connection from one tip to the other is broken somewhere.

2, There's a short-circuit to the sleeve connections somewhere.

3, The connections between the two sleeves could be broken somewhere.

There's a chance of all three possibilities too, check for continuity where there should be continuity with a multimeter..... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

copachino
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by copachino »

thanks i will try this later after work, so i should join the sleves right??

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

copachino wrote:thanks i will try this later after work, so i should join the sleves right??

Yes, they normally connect to circuit ground...... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.