Soldering Station

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
Ripdivot
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ripdivot »

Just wondering what the experts here are using for a lead free soldering station? We are looking to buy a few more at work. We currently use the Hakko 936 stations and they are OK for the money but I was wondering if there is something better? Here is the link to the 936:

http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_936.html

noirengineer
Information

Post by noirengineer »

why worry about being lead-free in first place? :oops:

Ripdivot
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ripdivot »

I work for a company called Dingwall Guitars (dingwallguitars.com)and we ship to countries that are lead free only. We are only a few years away from everywhere being lead free because of the RoHS initiative.

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

A friend of mine recently bought a Metcal soldering station, especially for lead-free application, and he likes it a lot.
I think it's this model : http://www.okinternational.com/product_soldering/ps_900 or maybe the smaller one.
http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bin/s ... ct/PS-900/
It's induction-based, so it's hot in a few seconds. The temperature is regulated inside the tip, there are tips for various temperatures, including lead-free solder. No need for temperature adjustment ! It might be the right tool if you solder for short periods but all along the day, and change often from tiny coil wires to heavy ground-at-the-back-of-the-pot soldering.
I've never tried it myself, though.
I only give negative feedback.

Ripdivot
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ripdivot »

Thanks Jim, I will have a look at that one. We have soldering irons on all day every day building pickups.

bigmufffuzzwizz
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: 1973 Sunn Model T

Post by bigmufffuzzwizz »

I have that Hakko and love it. I would recommend it to anyone new or advanced in soldering. A few people in my class followed me and got one and they all love theirs!
Magic Pedals Home of The Shrine Fuzz!