Sound differences between LF353P and LF353N?

All frequent questions about ICs of all kinds, will be stored here.
A1full
Information

Post by A1full »

hi, does anyone know if there is difference between LF353p vs LF353n? sound different really? They tell me the LF353n has more gain... What should I look at in the data sheet?

Is there a post or a web, where they indicate the type of sound they deliver, the different and better known ics?

thanks

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

Texas Instruments say the -P indicates PDIP package and -N is for lead-free (NOPB). Fairchild/ON have -N for DIP and -M for SOIC.
They tell me the LF353n has more gain...
The point of an op amp is to have its gain set by external components (through feedback), so it's a strong sign that "they" don't know what they're talking about.
What should I look at in the data sheet?
The part where the suffixes are explained, i.e. page 1 of the TI datasheet, page 6 (second to last) of the ON one etc.
Is there a post or a web, where they indicate the type of sound they deliver, the different and better known ics?
IC means integrated circuit, yes? Op amps are only one type of integrated circuit commonly used in stompboxes. In fact we rather commonly (ab)use ICs in ways they were not designed for (CMOS inverters in "linear" regime, LM386 and even LM555 fuzzes etc.). So "known ics" covers a lot of ground, but more importantly the sound of an effect generally depends on the entire circuit, not just the one component.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

A1full
Information

Post by A1full »

Thank you very much for your answer, there are things that I share others that I do not think are like that.
When you make a pedal, the operational one helps a lot to find the sound, an rc4558 is very different from a lm833, the sound obtained in each differs a lot.
In this case I received lf353n today and I can assure you that they work better than lf353p, the problem is that I can't know why.

Jarno
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Something nice
Completed builds: Alembic-like state-variable and sallen-key filter preamps
Lovepedal Eternity
Phase 100
Brown source
Fuzz Face
Flipster
Alembic F2B (tube preamp)
Opamp and FET buffers
Loads of speakercabinets and ampracks
Busy building a modular synth (ssm2044 vcfs, preamps, ADSR's, VCO's, VCA's)
Tables
Bookshelves
Basses
So many things! :D

Post by Jarno »

For a start, because YOU know that you put in another opamp, it sounds different. I do think there are differences in "sound" from one opamp to another, which cannot be explained by looking at the characteristics in the datasheet, but they are marginal, unless you use an IC outside of it's intended use.
"It crackles....., but that's ok"

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by CheapPedalCollector »

I made a test circuit to listen to noise and gain of opamps, some can vary widely, others not so much. I think it depends on the manufacturer's level of QA tolerance specs.

The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

Different op amps could cause a certain circuit sound different. And probably a heap of another variables, too.
I'll rephrase what was already said. How relevant are these differences next to the differences in the circuits including the said op amps? How relevant are differences between IC packages (which is what the OP asked)? My guess is not much at all.
This could be (and was) tested in various ways. And first question I ask about a test is what was done to remove the human biases (which is why the blinded experiments were developed).