Suhr - Riot  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Sweetalk
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Sweetalk »

culturejam wrote:
Sweetalk wrote:The schematic is incomplete?, there are some transistors in the PCB that I don't saw in the schematic.
We left out all of the parts related to the relay switching and the other "features". This is just the part of the circuit that makes noise. :thumbsup

But the photos are there so that anyone who wants to draw up the switching and low-battery detection and whatever that slide switch does, go right ahead. They would likely make cool stand-alone project for people to add to their existing pedals.
Great!, thanks, I'll give it a try.

mxrmxr
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mxrmxr »

culturejam wrote:You did a little bit cleaner job than I did. :mrgreen:

Nice work!

I accidentally destroyed C12 when I removed the goop (it got ripped off). Can you measure it in-circuit so we'll have a ballpark idea of its value?
Steven_M wrote:Is this a tube screamer with an op amp buffer and electronic switching?
No. It's more like Guv'nor with a single tone control, three diode clipping options, a single tone control, an op amp buffer, vref biased via op amp, and electronic switching.

I'd love to see someone else trace from these photos and see if you come up with what I did.
I'll measure C12 and let you know :thumbsup

mxrmxr
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mxrmxr »

modman wrote:
mxrmxr wrote:I had a spare few minutes so I went for a degoop :wink:
Great! For showing true freestompboxes hackers spirit you are rewarded the Degoop Doctor rank. Culturejam already did it, but this is excellent for verification and spotting version changes...
:applause:
Many thanks. Degoop Doctor rank is that good :scratch:

Sorry I didn't know Culturejam had already done it. I didn't see any pics around :?

mxrmxr
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mxrmxr »

IvIark wrote:
culturejam wrote:Mark, can you figure out from the photo what the SMD package size/code is for C12?
It looks like a 1210 package to me, assuming the resistor next to it is an 0805. mxrmxr - could you measure and see if C12 measures close to 3.2mm x 2.5mm please?
Yeah no prob will do :thumbsup

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

mxrmxr wrote:I had a spare few minutes so I went for a degoop :wink:
Some forummites don't drop in too often.... but never fail to deliver :hug: Much apppreciated!
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

bobo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bobo »

culturejam..... thank you for your degooped job

C12 on pcb = C5 on madbean schematic.?

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

mxrmxr wrote:Sorry I didn't know Culturejam had already done it. I didn't see any pics around :?
They weren't in a public area of the forum, so there's no way you could've seen them unless you're a member of the Tracer's Fund. ;)

You did good!

bobo wrote:C12 on pcb = C5 on madbean schematic.?
Yes.

By the way, if you are going to have a go at building the Uproar, here are the parts values I settled with in my build:
(the clipping diodes I just threw in their for fun...they are not very close to the original)

Code: Select all

R1 1k
R2 470k
R3 1k
R4 10k
R5 1M
R6 470R
R7 12k
R8 8k2
R9 100k
R10 100R
R11 20k
R12 20k

C1 22n
C2 47pF
C3 100pF
C4 220n
C5 100n
C6 470pF
C7 2u2
C8 10n
C9 2n2
C10 33n (was measured as 22n)
C11 10uF
C12 47uF
C13 47uF

D1 LED (green, diffused, 3mm)
D2 1N914
D3- D5 1N60 schottky
D6 1n4001 

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

I won't have time to redraw my schematic (factory part numbers) before I go on vacation this weekend, so here's a rundown of the clipping diode switch configuration:

The switch selects between three clipping (to ground) options:

1- A pair of Red LEDs in parallel
2- A pair of series 1N34a diodes in parallel with another pair of series 1N34a diodes (orientated opposite of the first pair)
3- A pair of series silicon* diodes in parallel with a blue LED

NOTES:
• Option 2 has a 470R resistor in series with the diodes (presumably to prevent the diodes from discharging the last stage's output cap)
• Option 3 has a 220R resistor in series with the diodes
• For Option 3, I cannot 100% verify that the diodes are silicon, because I can't find the part number anywhere. They are marked "S17" only.

mxrmxr
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mxrmxr »

C12 is 100nF and is a 1210 package.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

quaternotetriplet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by quaternotetriplet »

bookmarked. :applause:

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

culturejam wrote:3- A pair of series silicon* diodes in parallel with a blue LED

NOTES:

• For Option 3, I cannot 100% verify that the diodes are silicon, because I can't find the part number anywhere. They are marked "S17" only.
Hi Culturejam,

Perhaps these SI diodes are schottky. Try to measure the voltage drop with a multimeter, that is typically less than in a normal silicon, since the main board are disconnected to the front one and there is no continuity through the switch.

Regards,
José

Sweetalk
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Sweetalk »

Finnally it's a modified Guv'nor!, without the tonestack, clipping diodes selection and some value changes for what I looked at first sight

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Sweetalk wrote:Finnally it's a modified Guv'nor!, without the tonestack, clipping diodes selection and some value changes for what I looked at first sight
Yep.

I said this in the third or fourth post in this thread:
It's more like Guv'nor with a single tone control, three diode clipping options, an op amp buffer, vref biased via op amp, and electronic switching.
:thumbsup

Sweetalk
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Sweetalk »

culturejam wrote:
Sweetalk wrote:Finnally it's a modified Guv'nor!, without the tonestack, clipping diodes selection and some value changes for what I looked at first sight
Yep.

I said this in the third or fourth post in this thread:
It's more like Guv'nor with a single tone control, three diode clipping options, an op amp buffer, vref biased via op amp, and electronic switching.
:thumbsup
Ups!, I missed that!, sorry :oops: .

Riot is done, Shiba it's your turn!!!

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Sweetalk wrote:Ups!, I missed that!, sorry :oops: .
It's good that you did, actually. Having a second person* come to the same conclusion means we are likely accurate in our trace.

*Actually, you are the third person to point this out, as BajaMan was the first to mention it in the Tracer's Fund when I posted the initial draft schematic.

Sweetalk
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Sweetalk »

culturejam wrote:
Sweetalk wrote:Ups!, I missed that!, sorry :oops: .
It's good that you did, actually. Having a second person* come to the same conclusion means we are likely accurate in our trace.

*Actually, you are the third person to point this out, as BajaMan was the first to mention it in the Tracer's Fund when I posted the initial draft schematic.
If I have time i'll do a comparison of the guvnor and the riot, will be a nice one to do the riot in the well known and verified guv'nor's pcb's that are around.

PS: holy sh** my english it's becoming crappier every day! :oops:

Sweetalk
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Sweetalk »

Well, I've made a comparison for the Riot and the Guv'nor. There are a few essential differences like the output buffer and the opamp based Vref on the Riot, the full tonestack on the Guv'nor vs Single tone control on the Riot (very easy to implement in the Guv'nor). Besides that you can easily make a Riot from the Guv'nor in the Tonepad Layout with a few changes. I hope it helps!:
Riot-guvnor.bmp
Riot-guvnor.bmp (1006.87 KiB) Viewed 3570 times

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Well he obviously saw the business Analogman got out of the Bluesbreaker and thought he'd have a bit of that too :D
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

IvIark wrote:Well he obviously saw the business Analogman got out of the Bluesbreaker and thought he'd have a bit of that too :D
Wampler's been building a modified form of the Guv'nor for years as his Plextortions hasn't he ?
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.