Catalinbread - Merkin Fuzz  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
hbo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hbo »

I see HEAD did a vero layout already, but I'd like to contribute with my own as well. I haven't verified mine either, but looked over it twice and it seems fine.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

:D 3 within a couple of hours!
For people who don't like standy up resistors! :evil:

"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

blanik
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by blanik »

on both second and third veros, Q2 and Q3s caps to ground are 47uF and Q1s is 10uF electros

edit: on the second vero the caps are ok, it's Q1 and Q2 are labeled wrong, it's the opposite (just a detail) :)

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

That'll teach me to look at the gutshot as well as the schematic. :slap:
I've updated the layout so if you shift + refresh it should update your cache.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Well done, lads. :thumbsup

salocin
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by salocin »

Team FSB does it again!

Will fix up the two errors on the schematic tonight

gmr1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by gmr1 »

Had a little time after work, so I just built up the IvIark layout. It's verified! It's got a nice range of fuzz tones... from splatty to, well, less splatty... I have metal can 2n2222A's in it. Does do the spaghetti western fuzz sound quite well. I want to mess with some different transistors before deciding if I want to box it up. Thanks for the layout, it was a quick and fun build!

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Thanks for letting me know it's verified :thumbsup

John Lyons
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by John Lyons »

It's pretty much a cross between the 2 Knob EH Foxey Lady, Orpheum and the Mosrite Fuzzrite
with some value changes. Bottom line....Sounds cool.

John

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

I feel beaten! Nice veros you've done folks. Much better looking than mine.:D :applause: I still have to practice. :oops:

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

No you got in first mate :thumbsup
And your layout is great, 21 columns wide so it'll fit perfectly in a 1590B and the components spread out enough that repairs or mods will be easy to do without affecting other components. I only did an alternative layout because I don't like standing resistors but there's certainly nothing wrong with yours.

And a good compact version by hbo gives three good alternatives for people depending what they want. The more the merrier! :D

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

culturejam wrote:What's wrong with a double-sided PCB? :scratch:
Nuttin! But my personal mentor told me that jumpers and double layer are evil - espacialy for such a simple circuit! :evil: :lol: He teached me to avoid them everywhere it is possible. Might have something to do with "german perfection" - like the differences between a usa made car and a german made car.:D

Helge

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

HEAD wrote:But my personal mentor told me that jumpers and double layer are evil -
I used to think the same way, but I'm not sure why. A jumper is just a trace that you solder in manually. And why not use both sides if you have the capability? For small (simple) circuit boards, the cost difference between one-sided and two-sided is pretty low. I can see going with one side if you were going to produce 50,000+ boards, but for a couple hundred, it's not a big concern.
HEAD wrote:- like the differences between a usa made car and a german made car.:D
Touche, sir!

However, BMW has a large production plant in South Carolina:
http://www.bmwusfactory.com

So I think it's less an issue where it's made than who is managing the production. For quality, the German fanaticism for perfection trumps the American fanaticism for profit margin.

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

culturejam wrote:A jumper is just a trace that you solder in manually.
Or you can view it as a passive component with (virtually) no resistance, capacitance, or inductance.

blanik
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by blanik »

i modified salocin's schem with corrections and a non-overlapping circuit, not to stir the "overlapping-circuitry/double-sided-pcb/jumpers" debate :D

(hope it's all right with him) :)
merkin_fuzz_schem_2.gif

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

hbo wrote:I see HEAD did a vero layout already, but I'd like to contribute with my own as well. I haven't verified mine either, but looked over it twice and it seems fine.

Verified!;) Yes I prefered this layout over mine.:D

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

Hi,

here you can find a small clip of my clone: http://www.supload.com/listen?s=Gl5b5Q To me it sounds pretty much the same. I used BC549C as I predicted. :lol:

Cheers
Helge

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

HEAD wrote:Hi,

here you can find a small clip of my clone: http://www.supload.com/listen?s=Gl5b5Q To me it sounds pretty much the same. I used BC549C as I predicted. :lol:

Cheers
Helge
Sounds really good!

fuzzmax
Information

Post by fuzzmax »

HI all! Are those vero verified?? I did two of them and nothing work!!! the two on the last page..

Max

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Both verified. Can you post front and back pics of your builds so we can see if anything jumps out at us?