Lovepedal - Eternity  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Rich_S
Information

Post by Rich_S »

I built a couple of E6's on MadBean boards. It's bright, but I expected that. There's a heavy fizz on the dirt that I don't really like. I'd like suggestions on how to get rid of it. Add in the 4th clipping diode? Put C2 back in?

Anybody know where I can get a 47pF cap in this hick town?

quaternotetriplet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by quaternotetriplet »

hey man where did you get the e6 schem??

Rich_S
Information

Post by Rich_S »

quaternotetriplet wrote:hey man where did you get the e6 schem??
The versions are hard to follow, but I **think** it's an E6. It's the schematic posted by Lovepedal Detective on page 4 of this thread. Further discussion toward the bottom of page 13 made me think it's the E6. Distinguishing features: 100K drive & volume pots, assymetrical 1N914's, no clipping bypass cap.

Rich_S
Information

Post by Rich_S »

highway jones wrote:
jimmy54 wrote:Hi fellas,

First time poster (long time DIY pedal builder).

I built the burst version of the eternity (using the layout by 'Lovepedal Detective'). I used a LF353N IC.

The pedal works as expected but for some reason the pedal is really noisy (even with the guitar volume right down). I built a Zendrive at the same time and the Zendive is very quiet compared to the Eternity.

Any ideas where the noise could be being introduced or is this normal?
Mine too! Plus, I am also picking up up radio stations. I thought this phenomenon was more prevelent in fuzzes.
So I'm NOT the only one. I've built three E's now (a Wampler SD-1 mod, and two E6(?). All three are noisy: hiss, hum, and radio stations. The SD-1 mod picks up French Canadian bible-thumpers, the E6's pickup up some Asian language (maybe Korean from Toronto?) Instead of "Eternity" we should call it "U.N in a Box" or maybe "Small World After All".

powerplayj
Information

Post by powerplayj »

My noisy Burst E was built using the vero layout https://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff3 ... Vero-1.gif. I'm wondering if those of us with noisy builds have anything in common....layout, component choice, etc? Mine is noisy no matter which IC I use (I prefer the LM1458). I should also add that I squeezed the layout a bit to make it more compact.

kev01
Information

Post by kev01 »

I have built the same vero layout with no problems at all. I'm sure you have checked all the obvious wire length, bad trace etc.
I used 3mm led's for more headroom so the volume is not cranked near as much, and the tone is great.

chromesphere
Information

Post by chromesphere »

Hi all,
just wondering if anyones got a PCB layout/transfer for the Lovepedal Eternity Burst?
I had a look through this thread but couldnt find one.
Thanks for any help!
CS
Diy Guitar Pedal Tutorials & Demos - http://www.youtube.com/user/chromespherecom

kev01
Information

Post by kev01 »

Madbean has a great one in the build your own boutique pedal forum.

Rich_S
Information

Post by Rich_S »

Shoot.

Just checking back to see if there have been any revelations about the noise problem, but it looks like not.

To get the level of dirt I want, I run the gain and volume controls around 1 or 2 o'clock, but the noise is almost unbearable. It's definitely a stomp-on-at-as-soon-as-you-stop-playing kinda box. I love the tone, but I'm seriously considering replacing it on my board with a simple modded SD-1. The E is embarassingly noisy - noisiest pedal I've heard in 25 years, worse than my MIJ BF-2.

bolidin
Information
my favorite amplifier: fender bassman backface headl
Completed builds: ts9 to ts8 plus personal mods
anderton´s tube sound plus personal mods
ea trem
bsiab
fuzz face
tone bender 2 knobs
amz fet booster
amz mosfet booster
sho
eternity-son of screamers-snappers

Post by bolidin »

Hi check chek and re-chek
i´ve buit five and no noise at all
i´ve tried different cap values and diodes et all but never noisy except a little bit at full volume
build another one and see what happens
good luck :?

madmac
Information

Post by madmac »

Rich_S wrote:Shoot.

Just checking back to see if there have been any revelations about the noise problem, but it looks like not.

To get the level of dirt I want, I run the gain and volume controls around 1 or 2 o'clock, but the noise is almost unbearable. It's definitely a stomp-on-at-as-soon-as-you-stop-playing kinda box. I love the tone, but I'm seriously considering replacing it on my board with a simple modded SD-1. The E is embarassingly noisy - noisiest pedal I've heard in 25 years, worse than my MIJ BF-2.
I have to admit that I feel mine is the same. I used madbeans layout, screened input and output wiring and also used an OPA (burr brown) IC. These seemed to make a difference to the noise level but it is still noticeable. I guess it is somewhat to be expected with high gain settings.

I have found that you don't notice the noise unless playing at stage volume with the band.

Rich_S
Information

Post by Rich_S »

bolidin wrote:Hi check chek and re-chek
i´ve tried different cap values and diodes et all but never noisy except a little bit at full vo

First, I built Brian Wampler's SD-1 Eternity mod (keeps SD-1 buffers & FET switching, uses Eternity component values in between). Then I built two Madbean-based clones. ALL of these pedals were noisy.

I have another one in process, we'll see how that is when it's done.

Noise is fairly objectionable with gain & volume both around 2 o'clock.

bolidin
Information
my favorite amplifier: fender bassman backface headl
Completed builds: ts9 to ts8 plus personal mods
anderton´s tube sound plus personal mods
ea trem
bsiab
fuzz face
tone bender 2 knobs
amz fet booster
amz mosfet booster
sho
eternity-son of screamers-snappers

Post by bolidin »

Rich_S wrote:
bolidin wrote:Hi check chek and re-chek
i´ve tried different cap values and diodes et all but never noisy except a little bit at full vo

First, I built Brian Wampler's SD-1 Eternity mod (keeps SD-1 buffers & FET switching, uses Eternity component values in between). Then I built two Madbean-based clones. ALL of these pedals were noisy.

I have another one in process, we'll see how that is when it's done.

Noise is fairly objectionable with gain & volume both around 2 o'clock.
hi rich
send me a PE and i´ll send you my layout if you want

phuzle
Information

Post by phuzle »

I have a question about he tube boost that was posted in this thread. What is the 1mh inductor that was in the layout? Where is it in the accompanying schematic? Also, I'm not sure I can see it in the picture.

I don't have any 1mh inductors, is there any way to build the tube boost without one?

phuzle
Information

Post by phuzle »

Further searching has me thinking this 1 mh inductor is just for the power supply. Can anyone explain what its function is? If I use a 12v supply from my voodoo labs pedal power 2+, I should be fine without it, right?

phuzle
Information

Post by phuzle »

One more bump, I know someone out there has built this tube boost and knows what the inductor is for...

Jimmy-H
Information

Post by Jimmy-H »

phuzle wrote:One more bump, I know someone out there has built this tube boost and knows what the inductor is for...
It's only there for filtering together with C6. :wink:

Jimmy-H
Information

Post by Jimmy-H »

Jimmy-H wrote:
phuzle wrote:One more bump, I know someone out there has built this tube boost and knows what the inductor is for...
It's only there for filtering together with C6. :wink:
I forgot to say, that it works without it, just be sure that you have a well regulated power supply.
But I guess that the voodoo lab works fine.

phuzle
Information

Post by phuzle »

On the schematic it shows 12v hooked directly to tube pin 3 through 19 ohms, is that right, or does it need to be 6.3v like I've seen in the 6111 datasheet and 6111 subcaster?

Jimmy-H
Information

Post by Jimmy-H »

phuzle wrote:On the schematic it shows 12v hooked directly to tube pin 3 through 19 ohms, is that right, or does it need to be 6.3v like I've seen in the 6111 datasheet and 6111 subcaster?
The 19ohms is in series with the heater.
So the heater gets approximately 6.3 Volts. :wink: