Lovepedal - Eternity  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Oh, like something for RAT :)

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

I'll email you
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

jmcqueen
Information

Post by jmcqueen »

i am getting ready to do a photo resist transfer of Jimmy-H's Infinity layout, but did not see anything on what the size or scaling needs to be on the image. can anyone help? also, does it need to be mirrored?

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Just saw Mark's layout. SIP for the win!!! 8)

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

culturejam wrote:Just saw Mark's layout. SIP for the win!!! 8)
Definitely! Hey you said there are some OPAs and other high quality ICs in SIP format, care to share a link?

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Mouser has quite a few. I may have been wrong about seeing OPA-class chips in SIP, but there are 4559, 072, 2068, and some others that are low-noise or high slew-rate.

See if this link works:
http://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Am ... mp&FS=True

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

IvIark wrote:I got these from Tayda:

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/njm4558 ... -zzzb.html
yep, that's exactly what i used. i bought some there after our little SIP-brainstorm :thumbsup
culturejam wrote:Mouser has quite a few. I may have been wrong about seeing OPA-class chips in SIP, but there are 4559, 072, 2068, and some others that are low-noise or high slew-rate.

See if this link works:
http://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Am ... mp&FS=True
20 euro shipping :shock: :shock:

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

IvIark wrote:And after the recent discussions on here regarding SIP8 packages, I thought I'd do a SIP8 layout to see what space I could save. Three fewer columns and one extra row, but I think more space would be saved for the people not bothered about using standy up resistors.

okay I built this and it works but there a few issues.
- a high pitch squeal (pitch is variable by tone control)
- gain control is always maxed out
- all the controls are backwards (i used the regular numbering)

I looked over the vero layout against the schematic and there is a mistake in the power section. The 47uF (C7) on the bottom is supposed to go from V+ to GND, but on the layout it goes from V+ to Vref. No idea how to fix this the smart way (not having to desolder and move many components). This could potentially account for issues 1 and 2.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Vref is on the second row, so the top 47u caps goes from Vref to ground, the second 47u cap goes from V+ to ground (pin 8 to pin 4). I always get the pot numbering the wrong way round so that's no surprise! :mrgreen:

I'll look over the rest and see if I can spot anything. I will say when I was putting it together it was very strange to ignore the convention you're used to with opamp layouts so there's always the chance I fluffed something.

Added: I've just looked through it again and the rest certainly appears to be right. Have you taken any pics?

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Oh are you testing it with pots on a breadboard by the way? It's just everytime I do that I always get the squealing, so I've come to expect it now.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

IvIark wrote:Vref is on the second row, so the top 47u caps goes from Vref to ground, the second 47u cap goes from V+ to ground (pin 8 to pin 4). I always get the pot numbering the wrong way round so that's no surprise! :mrgreen:
:slap: you're right. i assumed pin4 is Vref, because the symbol on the datasheet looked like V*, but it's actually V-

Damn, why can the effects I build not for once work instantly? :cry:
What could be the reason for the high pitched noise? I use a bipolar output cap, but that can't be it right?
IvIark wrote:Oh are you testing it with pots on a breadboard by the way? It's just everytime I do that I always get the squealing, so I've come to expect it now.
no it's already boxed and (I think) properly grounded.

edit: nvm I think I found my mistake, got one resistor in the wrong hole (the 10k on the bottom on the gain pot). Will fix and report back :thumbsup

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

haha I'm so stupid. It works now, of course i find that easy but fatal mistake not until after i clean all the traces and tracks and go over the whole circuit with the schematic at hand. :slap:
eternity1.jpg
eternity1.jpg (23.6 KiB) Viewed 2480 times
eternity2.jpg
eternity2.jpg (29.98 KiB) Viewed 2480 times
Quick and dirty with leftovers and mojo wire ;)
Quick and dirty with leftovers and mojo wire ;)

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

So yeah, after reversing the pots, I had a little time to play with my new baby today and it works just as expected. The layout is therefore verified, but anyone building it should pay attention to the pot numbering :mrgreen:

It sounds good, though I think i might benefit from ge or 1n400x diodes. The 1n914s sound a bit "hard". Additionally the gain range might benefit from a log pot, since the "dirt" comes a bit sudden around 8-9 oclock and the maximum setting doesn't really differ much from the half point setting (except for noise). A log pot might strech out the usable lower range and make it easier to dial in low gain nuances.

As a pure boost i like it alot, and I hear many players use the TS just for that. :thumbsup
I might have to try building other versions of the eternity/kanji with clipping switches when i get the time. Having built this as a quick'n'dirty leftovers sideproject I'm quite satisfied with the result.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

It's always nice when you make something out of leftovers! :D

Here's the updated layout with the correct pot numbering by the way:

I must admit I like these SIP packages, and you should definitely save space, but you have to think about things a bit differently when you're doing the layouts, especially when you're set in your ways after lots of DIP layouts.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

IvIark wrote:I must admit I like these SIP packages, and you should definitely save space, but you have to think about things a bit differently when you're doing the layouts, especially when you're set in your ways after lots of DIP layouts.
true. i also think it's a shame they are not really used anymore and not many ICs are made in that package.

Anyone else think it's annoying that the Eternity doesn't have an output buffer? I notice it sounds much better and more even with my delay behind it, even if that's set dry and only the buffer is affecting the signal. there is a noticeable difference to the bypassed signal. I heard this might be less obvious with the 100k Volume pot.

Cannibal
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Cannibal »

check out what MAGICsean says about this one on TGP:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpo ... ostcount=4

The question is: will he ever learn? :roll:
Seiche wrote:there's a difference between being drugged (I don't think it was only booze) and retarded.

bubstance
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Lab Series L11
Completed builds: more than a few, less than a ton

Post by bubstance »

Well, I suppose he IS right about part of that; since it doesn't have an output buffer those resistors aren't there.