Mid-Fi Electronics - Pitch Pirate - Guts, Schematic  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
HonkyMofo
Information

Post by HonkyMofo »

I have Pitch Pirate in hand. Is there any interest in tracing? It uses 4558, PT2399, and 386D chips.
The board is hot glued or epoxied to chassis.

HonkyMofo
Information

Post by HonkyMofo »

Here are the components pictures. I will try to get trace side soon. Have to use a heat gun to remove glue.
IMG_0545.JPG
IMG_0544.JPG
IMG_0544.JPG (35.4 KiB) Viewed 12551 times
IMG_0546.JPG
IMG_0548.JPG
IMG_0550.JPG
IMG_0551.JPG
IMG_0552.JPG
IMG_0554.JPG

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

Christ, is he building all these on PERF?

Masochist!
Testing, testing, won too fwee

ckyvick
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ckyvick »

Hides-His-Eyes wrote:Christ, is he building all these on PERF?
Masochist!
The man is freaking good at perf!!! I think hes going to be switching to pcbs at some point, he mentioned that somewhere.

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

Em, sorry, am I the only who thinks: WTF?!? Solid core wire and such a lame soldering work (look at the footswitch - some lugs nearly fall off due to bad overheating wih a solder iron)!?! :roll:

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

:whappen:
Do my eyes deceive me?...*pinces self on arm*...no I'm not dreaming...I thought that this would have had a PCB in it for sure.... :?
HEAD wrote:Em, sorry, am I the only who thinks: WTF?!? Solid core wire and such a lame soldering work (look at the footswitch - some lugs nearly fall off due to bad overheating wih a solder iron)!?! :roll:
Not to mention using overly thick yellow and green coloured mains wire meant for mains earth connections,for the connecting wires to all the pots and sockets..... :hmmm:
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

HonkyMofo
Information

Post by HonkyMofo »

Trace side pictures:
IMG_0555.jpg
IMG_0555.jpg (78.74 KiB) Viewed 12494 times
IMG_0556.jpg

doug deeper
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by doug deeper »

that wire is stranded and its 26 gauge.

doug deeper
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by doug deeper »

also, looks like someone has fucked with this pedal a bit, i dont make it a habit to solder wires to the bottom side of the board?
:horsey: :horsey: :horsey: :horsey: :thumbsup

doug deeper
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by doug deeper »

here you go home wreckers.

the photocell shouldnt be connected to the switch, just direct to ground.
the switch goes to ground when the pedal is on.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Geez,that was de-gooped quick... :)

Going to download the schematic so I can study it well... :)

i think i've just realized why they go to all the trouble of putting goop in these boutique pedals,and it isn't to do with keeping secrets,it is to do with covering up shoddy workmanship.... :)
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

doug deeper
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by doug deeper »

thats not goop, thats hotglue, and it holds a piece of brazilian rosewood cardboard on the back so it doesnt short out.
also, your welcome for the schematic.
maybe all the teasing is why other builders dont post there shit so freely.
also i have never once said i make boutique pedals, or claimed that my stuff is of any sort of quality, so dont pigeonhole me.

:horsey: :horsey: :horsey: :horsey: :horsey: :horsey: :horsey: :horsey:

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

doug deeper wrote:that wire is stranded and its 26 gauge.
and a complete b@st@rd to tin... you're a lot more patient than I am with that.
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

doug deeper
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by doug deeper »

oh, and yeah, that pedal is pretty sloppy.
im a bit neater now.
and now i use white wire!
:horsey: :horsey: :horsey: :horsey:

ckyvick
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ckyvick »

^^^^No degoop, hes the man and released it on his own because its being traced anyway. Thou hes asked this one not be dissected since its like his bread and butter so if you want one and can afford to just buy it, these are pretty cheap compared to most boutique pedals and usually worth the money for the amount of sounds you can get out of the effects.
HEAD wrote: Solid core wire and such a lame soldering work (look at the footswitch - some lugs nearly fall off due to bad overheating wih a solder iron)!?! :roll:
Im sorry but i cant see anything wrong with the footswitch at all...From the pics its impossible to tell... Nor is the wire solid core... Dougs work is great and its amazing that hes willing to share his ideas in the midst of people being douchebags and shit-picking things they assume is wrong with the pedal.

frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by frequencycentral »

Kudos and thanks to Doug Deeper for sharing. His work has always been very inspirational to me.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

It's not so nice to insult the designer's workmanship, esp. when has been a contributing member to FSB and posted this schematic.

The lack of PCB is partly my fault....I was helping Doug get PCB designs together for some of his pedals, but we never seemed to get it quite right. Just little bugs here and there and then we both kinda fell off each other's map.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

madbean wrote:It's not so nice to insult the designer's workmanship, esp. when has been a contributing member to FSB and posted this schematic.

The lack of PCB is partly my fault....I was helping Doug get PCB designs together for some of his pedals, but we never seemed to get it quite right. Just little bugs here and there and then we both kinda fell off each other's map.

Madbean,I just did a bit of thinking about what I said in my last post,it was never intended to be perceived as an insult,I mistakenly thought that it was an example of Mid-Fi's build quality,and I do humbly and profusely apoligize,and I hearby retract all that I said in my last post,I try my hardest to conduct myself in the best possible way towards other members,and I also try my best to help other people out to the best of my ability,it was wrong of me to say what I said,and in future I will take steps to ensure I do not make the same mistake again..... :oops:

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

what does the pedal do?

oh wow.. just youtubed it.. nutso.. I like!
what's the cost?

world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

ckyvick
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ckyvick »

^pt2399 chorus type effect that can go from sine to squarewave with the pitch modulation
Btw, theres nothing wrong with "spaghetti" style wiring as it can be lower noise in some cases iirc. I cant make stranded wire look nice, but mabee thats just me :scratch: