Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone Germanium Gold LTD  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
okgb
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by okgb »

Bumping to see if anyone successfully built one yet ?
otherwise what's a good used price ?

guycapuano
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by guycapuano »

This is such a great pedal, I really liked it when I had it. From reading this these it seems excellently designed as well and very original.

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

i don't have this circuit, but just from a fresh perspective, R15 and D1-6 just looks wrong IMO.

If I had to guess, I'd say R15 should go to Pin 5 of U3B, and NOT pin 6, as U3B is set up as a non, inverting amplifier.

My next guess would be that D4, 5 & 6 should parallel D1, 2 & 3 completely, to Pin 6 of U3B, although, I haven't seen anything like this before.

Just my 2 cents.
Black Dynamite wrote:you need to shut the fuck up when grown folks is talkin.

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

another suggestion might be that R15, D1-3 and D4-6 all run between U3 Pin 3 and Pin 5, and that D-16 are some kind of protection against large signals. This would break the connection to Pin 6 (V-) and make more sense to me as an opamp gain stage.

jwpartain1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jwpartain1 »

Hey, got a Philosopher's Tone compressor here, perfect condition with original box, manual, 18 Vdc adapter. I'd like $160 Paypal'd and shipped to continental US :)

Justin

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

do you think you might donate some high res pictures of the PCB before you let it go?

jwpartain1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jwpartain1 »

What do you need :) I started the thread in the Boutique forum.

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

oh hah! ok. we'll for whatever reason, the attachments don't link to bigger documents. maybe because of the server trouble we had. maybe you might re-upload or link to the pictures you already took? I'm trying to take a better look at the right side of the board, where all the diodes are.

I would just buy it from you and trace myself but I don't have the funds currently.

jwpartain1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jwpartain1 »

Here you go sir! Hope this helps you in your quest for tone :)

EDIT: could the mods move these to the boutique folder section?
Attachments
DSCN227450%.jpg
DSCN228250%.jpg

ryanuk
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by ryanuk »

I'd like to have a crack at this but I cant access the original images - does anyone have these to re-post??

RyUK

mysticwhiskey
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mysticwhiskey »

Here's what I've got saved:
DSCN228250%.jpg
DSCN227450%.jpg
102_0031.JPG
102_0030.JPG
102_0027.JPG
ph1.jpg
Attachments
102_0026.JPG

ryanuk
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by ryanuk »

mysticwhiskey - great work. :applause:

How did you get so far with just those pics??

mysticwhiskey
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mysticwhiskey »

It took a while! From the back view I got all the component pads, then drew in the traces by what I could see from the pictures. Also jwpartain answered quite a few of my questions about what was connected to what, and I made some guesses too.

I'm sorely tempted to buy a Philosopher's Tone and finish this one off. I've been playing around with the breadboarded circuit today, and temporarily took the overdrive subcircuit out to try to work out why the compression isn't working so great. I suspect it's my homemade LDR/LED combination, the LDR light and/or dark resistance isn't suitable (I used the '9203' LDR from Small Bear, light R = 5 to 20K, dark R >= 20M). Really need to know what the vactrol part # is in this circuit...

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

the OP is selling his in the stuff seen for sale subforum

ryanuk
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by ryanuk »

mysticwhiskey wrote:It took a while! From the back view I got all the component pads, then drew in the traces by what I could see from the pictures. Also jwpartain answered quite a few of my questions about what was connected to what, and I made some guesses too.

I'm sorely tempted to buy a Philosopher's Tone and finish this one off. I've been playing around with the breadboarded circuit today, and temporarily took the overdrive subcircuit out to try to work out why the compression isn't working so great. I suspect it's my homemade LDR/LED combination, the LDR light and/or dark resistance isn't suitable (I used the '9203' LDR from Small Bear, light R = 5 to 20K, dark R >= 20M). Really need to know what the vactrol part # is in this circuit...
I was just thinking about buying one today - sounds incredible. I love compressors. I heard people really raving about the pedals "ebow" like sustain. I thought they were kidding until I listened to some youtube demos!!

Ive got a VTL5C10 vactrol lying around so I could test the comp circuit using this. In terms of breadboarding without the Grit circuit, I guess I would need to miss out U3B and the surrounding components and take the output from U3A(pin1) to U2A and the blend pot?

RYUK

mysticwhiskey
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mysticwhiskey »

I played around with the compressor side of things tonight, and on my PCB trace and schematic I discovered that I had the vactrol oriented the wrong way (pin 1 is LED cathode, not anode). Fixing this meant that pin 2 could no longer go to ground, so I figured it should instead be hooked it up to the + side of the 2200uF capacitor. I tried this out on the breadboard and got compression happening successfully. It's not the most responsive (takes a fraction of a second to kick in after a heavy strum of a guitar), but this is most likely due to my LDR specs. Would be good to try this with an LDR with a lower dark resistance and/or a quicker response rate. But it's sounding a lot better now.

Here's the new schematic and PCB layout:
PigtronixPhilosophersToneSchematicDraft_0.8_20110909.png
PCB Trace With Component Names V0.8 20110909 2311.png

guycapuano
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by guycapuano »

Great work,I remember the original taking a moment to kick in, it has been a while though!

pedalgrinder
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg SVT
Completed builds: pedals with pots switches and everything

Post by pedalgrinder »

Fantastic work i commend you on this one but has the actual schematic been verified interesting how they push the voltage up via the diodes so that the led triggers better i've often thought that was a issue with some other designs where they relied on the peak of the signal. Which in someways made them more of a limiter. Still very orientated for guitar more so than bass but could work on both. I like looking forward to hearing about verification :thumbsup
What's the best thing about fat chicks and scooters? There both fun to ride around until your mates find out!

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

the schematic is not verified yet. i don't think we got to the bottom of the overdrive section's diodes, and wasn't quite working when built as drawn.

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

no, more likely its hard to read and still a bit off. the people who have built it up on breadboard don't report that it sounds like the original yet. if you read through the thread, you'll find that not much has happened since then.