Death By Audio - Robot  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
ThomasRiem
Information

Post by ThomasRiem »

Hi!

I'm sorry, but could you post the files again, please? They still turn up small...

Best regards

Thomas

Seven64
Information

Post by Seven64 »

bumping this because i am trying to build this project, but it is killing my eyes trying to check out the perf layouts and schematics. can we please get this re-upped again?!

bubstance
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Lab Series L11
Completed builds: more than a few, less than a ton

Post by bubstance »

Forgot I had these on this school computer.
Attachments
Rotary Switch Wiring.jpg
Death By Audio Robot.jpg
powered by 9front

the3secondrule
Solder Soldier
Information
Completed builds: GGG Phase45
Fuzz Factory Clone
Shin Ei Companion Fuzz
EHX LPB
Fuzz Face
Zvex Machine
GGG Green Ringer
woolly mammoth
SHO
Microamp
Noise swash
Phaseur Fleur
Catalinbread SVT
valvecaster
CE2 Chorus
Aquapuss

Post by the3secondrule »

[smilie=bump.gif] [smilie=bump.gif] [smilie=bump.gif]
Has anyone got a copy of the parts layout posted above - I can see the preview, but the full size image wont load...
"Rock music is mostly about moving big black boxes from one side of town to the other in the back of your car."

Mrutg
Information
my favorite amplifier: MG Fendmess
Completed builds: Fuzz Factory,

Post by Mrutg »

Not exactly this one but should help
Attachments
SCHEMATIC + PARTS.gif

the3secondrule
Solder Soldier
Information
Completed builds: GGG Phase45
Fuzz Factory Clone
Shin Ei Companion Fuzz
EHX LPB
Fuzz Face
Zvex Machine
GGG Green Ringer
woolly mammoth
SHO
Microamp
Noise swash
Phaseur Fleur
Catalinbread SVT
valvecaster
CE2 Chorus
Aquapuss

Post by the3secondrule »

Mrutg wrote:Not exactly this one but should help
Perfect! thanks!
"Rock music is mostly about moving big black boxes from one side of town to the other in the back of your car."

Glass_Hero
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: My Glass Hero Amplification
Completed builds: 1973 Orange Graphic 120 head
Fender Champ clone head
custom Pentode input single channel 20 watt head
custom "plexi" 5 watt single ended head
custom Pentode input single channel ~2 watt combo (smaller version of my 20watt)
( i build amps and pedals )

pedal clones
Pro Co Rat
Univox SuperFuzz
Sonic Edge J&J Overdrive
Interfax Harmonic Percolator
EHX Electric Mistress
EHX Big Muff PI
EHX Big Muff into a DBA Fuzz War
Green Ringer
Orange Squeeze
Boss Slow Gear
Death By Audio Sound SAW
Death By Audio Armageddon
Death By Audio Fuzz War
MXR Phase 90
EA Tremolo
TS 808
another TS808 modded out for bass
various loop, boost, kill, stutter, feedback and signal pad stompboxes

pedal modds
big muff clipping modds and internal feedback loops w/ LDRs
EHX POG exp pedal modd
VOX 847 wah modds (expression pedals should be expressive)
Cry Baby Modds
BOSS XT-2 modds

this list is tragically outdated..

Post by Glass_Hero »

Hey i got a clone of this and used 3 toggle switches to ground instead of the rotary switch.. its got some really 'interesting' modes that you don't get on the rotary switch.. i have a sound clip but the guy who was testing also ran his WMD geiger counter into the robot..

teej212
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by teej212 »

what type of stuff does it do thats different from the stock version?

jb134
Information

Post by jb134 »

Anyone care to "enlighten" me as to what connects where - new to all this and schematics aren't my thing!!!!

b6 =
b11=
c5=
c12=
e6=
e12=
f11=
g2=
i2=
o14=
p16=
q16=
r16=
s2=
s4=
s15=

Sorry for that - I need my hand holding all of the way!!!!

Thanks in advance

jb

jb134
Information

Post by jb134 »

not waning to sound like an idiot but no trace cuts and loads of jumpers. Have I got this right????

It all seems to blend into one!!

jb134
Information

Post by jb134 »

jb134 wrote:not waning to sound like an idiot but no trace cuts and loads of jumpers. Have I got this right????

It all seems to blend into one!!
Late night, realised its not a vero!!!!

Seven64
Information

Post by Seven64 »

do i leave pads 15-18 open? i have never used this type of rotary switch before.

Seven64
Information

Post by Seven64 »

ok, i think i got the wrong rotary switch, and am confused on how they work. mine has 12 solder lugs on the outside, but only 1 on the inside. if i set it to pole one, and put the washer in for 4 positions, can i wire the ground to the "a" terminal, and the 3 positions to 1, 2, and 3?

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

I'm just doing a layout for this but I want to include switches rather than the rotary for the versatility. Looking at the IC datasheet there is a truth table to show what pitch is selected using SW0, SW1 & SW2 and it says that if they're all 1's, the pitch selection is done with TGU and TGD. So am I right in saying that if I totally ignore SW#, that I can use 4 buttons attached to ROB, TGD, TGU and VIB which will allow me to scroll through pitch and select robot and vibrato independently, and that being the case then momentary switches need to be used for all 4?

To be signal high do SW# need to be grounded?

I think this would be quite cool with those little SPST momentary pushbuttons to quickly select the modes.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Glass_Hero
Breadboard Brother
Information
Fender Champ clone head
custom Pentode input single channel ~2 watt combo (smaller version of my 20watt)

pedal clones
Pro Co Rat
Univox SuperFuzz
Sonic Edge J&J Overdrive
EHX Electric Mistress
EHX Big Muff PI
Green Ringer
Orange Squeeze
Boss Slow Gear
Death By Audio Sound SAW
Death By Audio Fuzz War
MXR Phase 90
EA Tremolo
TS 808

pedal modds
EHX POG exp pedal modd
Cry Baby Modds
BOSS XT-2 modds

Post by Glass_Hero »

IvIark wrote:I'm just doing a layout for this but I want to include switches rather than the rotary for the versatility. Looking at the IC datasheet there is a truth table to show what pitch is selected using SW0, SW1 & SW2 and it says that if they're all 1's, the pitch selection is done with TGU and TGD. So am I right in saying that if I totally ignore SW#, that I can use 4 buttons attached to ROB, TGD, TGU and VIB which will allow me to scroll through pitch and select robot and vibrato independently, and that being the case then momentary switches need to be used for all 4?

I think this would be quite cool with those little SPST momentary pushbuttons to quickly select the modes.

the TGD, TGU, ROB, and VIB are not used in the original robot..

use spst toggles on SW0, SW1 & SW2.. that way you can change the pitch up, down, normal or arpeggiator mode..

im sure you can use the TGU, TGD etc, pins to do something but its not used in the original effect..

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Glass_Hero wrote:the TGD, TGU, ROB, and VIB are not used in the original robot..

use spst toggles on SW0, SW1 & SW2.. that way you can change the pitch up, down, normal or arpeggiator mode..

im sure you can use the TGU, TGD etc, pins to do something but its not used in the original effect..
Looking at the truth table, all that will do is select the octave for the voice modulation and always in "Robot" mode. If you want to select or deselect Robot and Vibrato then you're losing that ability by using SW# switches. Or at least that's how I read it looking at the data sheet, has anyone played around with pins 15 to 18?

Am I right in saying that the vibrato isn't used at all with this effect? I'm just trying to work out exactly what the mode switching does in the original, which to me only seems to be selecting the octave with robot voice always on. Whilst also seeing if I can do something that'll do a little bit more (and noting what position each switch would need to be in to replicate the originals 4 modes). I don't necessarily want to do a layout for a verbatim copy, and would prefer to add the versatility of having the other two effects switchable and so just want to know if I'm interpreting the datasheet correctly.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Glass_Hero
Breadboard Brother
Information
Fender Champ clone head

pedal clones
Pro Co Rat
Univox SuperFuzz
Sonic Edge J&J Overdrive
EHX Electric Mistress
EHX Big Muff PI
Green Ringer
Orange Squeeze
Boss Slow Gear
Death By Audio Sound SAW
Death By Audio Fuzz War
MXR Phase 90
EA Tremolo
TS 808

pedal modds
EHX POG exp pedal modd
Cry Baby Modds
BOSS XT-2 modds

Post by Glass_Hero »

IvIark wrote:
Glass_Hero wrote:the TGD, TGU, ROB, and VIB are not used in the original robot..

Looking at the truth table, all that will do is select the octave for the voice modulation and always in "Robot" mode. If you want to select or deselect Robot and Vibrato then you're losing that ability by using SW# switches. Or at least that's how I read it looking at the data sheet, has anyone played around with pins 15 to 18?

Am I right in saying that the vibrato isn't used at all with this effect? I'm just trying to work out exactly what the mode switching does in the original, which to me only seems to be selecting the octave with robot voice always on. Whilst also seeing if I can do something that'll do a little bit more (and noting what position each switch would need to be in to replicate the originals 4 modes). I don't necessarily want to do a layout for a verbatim copy, and would prefer to add the versatility of having the other two effects switchable and so just want to know if I'm interpreting the datasheet correctly.

you should prolly included both kinds of switching.. i made extra connections to those pins when i made a PCB of this.. i didnt add the momentary swtiches..

i used spst for the SW0, SW1, SW2 modes.. and i can get more than 3 different tone changes..

I dont if the vib is used on the original effect.. sold the one i had for way more than i payed for it.. and sold one clone to my old keyboard player.. im working on my second clone now.. I'll add these momentary switches to my build..

I think the TUG, TUD..etc.. would be a good extra thing to have.. There is so much more that can be done with this thing than what DBA did..

Glass_Hero
Breadboard Brother
Information
Fender Champ clone head

pedal clones
Pro Co Rat
Univox SuperFuzz
Sonic Edge J&J Overdrive
EHX Electric Mistress
EHX Big Muff PI
Green Ringer
Orange Squeeze
Boss Slow Gear
Death By Audio Sound SAW
Death By Audio Fuzz War
MXR Phase 90
EA Tremolo
TS 808

pedal modds
EHX POG exp pedal modd
Cry Baby Modds
BOSS XT-2 modds

Post by Glass_Hero »

it looks like from the truth table the TGU/TGD are for some kind of step mode.. where it appears you step it at different intervals than just one octave up, one octave down..

i got a few different intervals with the toggles i used.. I bet momentary stomps would do nice for the TGU/TGD..etc..

Beedoola
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Beedoola »

IvIark wrote:I'm just doing a layout for this but I want to include switches rather than the rotary for the versatility. Looking at the IC datasheet there is a truth table to show what pitch is selected using SW0, SW1 & SW2 and it says that if they're all 1's, the pitch selection is done with TGU and TGD. So am I right in saying that if I totally ignore SW#, that I can use 4 buttons attached to ROB, TGD, TGU and VIB which will allow me to scroll through pitch and select robot and vibrato independently, and that being the case then momentary switches need to be used for all 4?

are you gonna post the layout when you're done? :D

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

I've done the layout but it was based around using the TGD, TGU, ROB, and VIB connections. This of course won't give you an exact robot but if I'm reading the datasheet right it should allow you access to all the sounds and more. But as I wasn't 100% sure whether this is an appropriate way to use the IC I thought I'd wait until I got chance to experiment.

I'm happy to post the layout if you fancy trying it out.