Lovepedal Amp Eleven  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

culturejam wrote:
madbean wrote:What exactly is the point of running over there and making this claim? Just to start crap up? For all we know, Paul licensed the design to Lovepedal. I just don't think it's a good idea to play crusaders for bragging rights until more is known about this.
That wasn't me. Somebody browsed here and then posted it there. I just happened to catch it.
Aw, I know. I wasn't trying to single anyone out which is why I kept the comment general.

teej212
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by teej212 »

I have one and it sounds nothing like a Timmy/Tim
its weird how a pedal can sound nothing like the pedal it is cloned after. :lol:

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

culturejam wrote:
madbean wrote:What exactly is the point of running over there and making this claim? Just to start crap up? For all we know, Paul licensed the design to Lovepedal. I just don't think it's a good idea to play crusaders for bragging rights until more is known about this.
That wasn't me. Somebody browsed here and then posted it there. I just happened to catch it.
I say put it out there and let 'em sort it out. (no, it wasn't me.. I stay away from that place).

No doubt we'll be the bad guys again anyway.
:popcorn:

Who wants to take bets on how long that thread lasts before the TGP Censors nuke it.. WAaay too controversial and real for TGP.

BTW WhiteKeyHole.. nice work !
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

teej212 wrote:
I have one and it sounds nothing like a Timmy/Tim
its weird how a pedal can sound nothing like the pedal it is cloned after. :lol:
There are a couple different values, but if whitey's schematic is correct (and I have no reason to believe otherwise), then it's the same template with a few minor details changed. Adding a boost in front is new, but even the boost itself is a warmed over old Lovepedal favorite...which itself is massively derivative from the Electra Distortion.

Lovepedal's design philosophy reminds me of William Burroughs' "cut up" technique:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut-up_technique

The difference being that Burroughs was cutting up his own work and rearranging it randomly into new forms. :lol:

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

I don't find any of it to be unbelievable at this point. Sean knew this would sell, no doubt. That seems to clearly be his bottom line.

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

The original poster at TGP simply says "so...it turns out this here is a Timmy rip-off"
..so not unexpectantly people are saying it sounds nothing like a Timmy..

Would someone tell them its a COT + Timmy.

So how is it setup.. 2 individual circuits that can be run in series ?
COT first ?
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Cleaned this one up (mostly). Got most of the bitch-ass drama in its own special thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12577

So please, continue the ethical arguments there. This thread is for technical discussion. :)

dap9
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by dap9 »

Greg_G wrote:The original poster at TGP simply says "so...it turns out this here is a Timmy rip-off"
..so not unexpectantly people are saying it sounds nothing like a Timmy..

Would someone tell them its a COT + Timmy.

So how is it setup.. 2 individual circuits that can be run in series ?
COT first ?
Just when I thought I was getting the hang of schematics... I have this same question :scratch:

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

One main bypass stomp for the lot, and the boost can only come into play if the effect is on. So it isn't an independent Timmy/COT50.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

that's a pretty stupid config. Is the boost in the TIM seperately available?

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

Seiche wrote:that's a pretty stupid config. Is the boost in the TIM seperately available?
No but I think that affects the gain control of the timmy side, it doesn't just cascade.
Testing, testing, won too fwee

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

I really like my sho after the timmy. someone should build that combination :mrgreen:

Realfi
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: VOX

Post by Realfi »

Seiche wrote:that's a pretty stupid config. Is the boost in the TIM seperately available?
Nah, the TIM boost is also only active when overdrive is switched on.

I actually don't agree that it's a stupid configuration necessarily. Both configurations have their advantages. While an independent boost would seem to be more flexible if your using both the overdrive and boost sides of that style of pedal to say produce your "lead" sound you have to turn off two pedals to return to the straight amp sound. With the boost that's conditional on the overdrive already being on when you're in "lead" mode it's only one hit of the bypass to return to the straight amp sound. This can be pretty handy when you've got to changes quickly.

What I think would make the AMP-11, or any pedals of that configuration when the boost is prior to the main overdrive stage would be if as well as the boost control which is going to basically add overdrive/distortion if their was also a second output volume that would be switched in at the same time so that you could effectively balance the amount of added distortion with the amount of extra output volume.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

Realfi wrote:With the boost that's conditional on the overdrive already being on when you're in "lead" mode it's only one hit of the bypass to return to the straight amp sound. This can be pretty handy when you've got to changes quickly.
true. i see that there are advantages to that configuration. I usually use the Timmy most of the time and then kick in the sho for lead. No straight amp sound.
Realfi wrote: What I think would make the AMP-11, or any pedals of that configuration when the boost is prior to the main overdrive stage would be if as well as the boost control which is going to basically add overdrive/distortion if their was also a second output volume that would be switched in at the same time so that you could effectively balance the amount of added distortion with the amount of extra output volume.
wait.. what?

Realfi
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: VOX

Post by Realfi »

Seiche wrote:
Realfi wrote:With the boost that's conditional on the overdrive already being on when you're in "lead" mode it's only one hit of the bypass to return to the straight amp sound. This can be pretty handy when you've got to changes quickly.
true. i see that there are advantages to that configuration. I usually use the Timmy most of the time and then kick in the sho for lead. No straight amp sound.
Realfi wrote: What I think would make the AMP-11, or any pedals of that configuration when the boost is prior to the main overdrive stage would be if as well as the boost control which is going to basically add overdrive/distortion if their was also a second output volume that would be switched in at the same time so that you could effectively balance the amount of added distortion with the amount of extra output volume.
wait.. what?
I actually use a Klon after my Timmy kicked in for lead because as much as I'd like the simplicity of the built-in boost, one switch to bypass config I haven't found one that gives me me enough volume boost to catch out napping FOH guys!

I guess that's sort of what I was trying to explain in the part of my post that you didn't seem to get?...That it's all very well to get extra saturation from the additional distortion or "boost stacked into" type of pedals but the extra compression created often means that you don't get enough additional volume. That's why a second output volume tied in with the pre-boost would be handy..

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

ah I see. sort of like a volume boost after the pedal thats engaged at the same time?

I think I kinda understood what you were trying to say, but you lost me on the grammar :mrgreen: :oops: :blackeye

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

culturejam wrote:
Lovepedal's design philosophy reminds me of Brion Gysin's "cut up" technique:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut-up_technique
totally OT-
I don't mean to nitpick you Forrest, and Bourroughs definitely popularized the technique, but Gysin was the originator in the popular context. he and William were very close friends, and I'm sure shared many things. Gysin is a very cool artist that often gets looked over when people talk about the beat generation. check out the doc on his Dream Machine- it's very cool, and contains some great musicians as well.

resume Lovepedal sleuthing here(not that there is much else to do, as there's already a layout for this pedal. :wink: )-----
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

RnFR wrote:I don't mean to nitpick you Forrest, and Bourroughs definitely popularized the technique, but Gysin was the originator in the popular context.
Good to know! :thumbsup

candletears7
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by candletears7 »

You lost me mate!
Do you mean a blend feature? Thats there already, right?
:scratch:

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

candletears7 wrote:
You lost me mate!
Do you mean a blend feature? Thats there already, right?
:scratch:
Yeah I had the same problem understanding that sentence, but it's all there:
Realfi wrote:
Seiche wrote:wait.. what?
I guess that's sort of what I was trying to explain in the part of my post that you didn't seem to get?...That it's all very well to get extra saturation from the additional distortion or "boost stacked into" type of pedals but the extra compression created often means that you don't get enough additional volume. That's why a second output volume tied in with the pre-boost would be handy..
Seiche wrote:ah I see. sort of like a volume boost after the pedal thats engaged at the same time?