Wampler - Ego Compressor - Gut Shots

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
pedalgrinder
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg SVT
Completed builds: pedals with pots switches and everything

Post by pedalgrinder »

come to think of it 90% of the distortion pedals all have basically the same as you could say about compressor's the dynacomp ross topology with a few odd differences yet all of them get traced but dare you say the same about another pedal that doesn't distort. Blasphemy how dare i do such a thing. I mean all the distortion pedals have the same topology what else do you want. No different with this one. Plus there is pots in front of the track side of the wampler ego pics being double sided you would have no hope from those pics determining the difference. Why doesn't bubstance just purchase his pedals rather than coming on this forum to look at them maybe he should practice what he preaches. Isn't it amazing. maybe you could get your dream pedals and trace them for us bubstance on you boy your the man!!!
What's the best thing about fat chicks and scooters? There both fun to ride around until your mates find out!

bubstance
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Lab Series L11
Completed builds: more than a few, less than a ton

Post by bubstance »

Oh boy. Wow. You really got me there. Oh damn.

See, the only problem with that is that--and get this, because it's a doozy--I don't WANT to trace this pedal. I'm not interested. If I were I would go buy one and fucking trace it. If you look--and yes, I just did-- at my posts, you'll find that (shock and awe!) you're the ONLY ONE I've ever told to trace a pedal and/or do something yourself. And it was a compressor. Both times.

You have to understand, dude, I don't like you. I don't even know you and I find you incredibly obnoxious. You act as if I am sitting there asking for distortion pedals to be traced, going "hey, can we have a schematic? How about a layout? Guys? Hello?". If you'll notice, if I'm interested in a pedal I actually go out of my way to find out everything I can about it and put up helpful information for everyone else. You, on the other hand, love to bump topics talking about how no one is interested in compression and how you just want someone to do everything for you.

How about this: Buy it. Trace it. Then do whatever the FUCK else you want. Cool?
powered by 9front

pedalgrinder
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by pedalgrinder »

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: hahahahah good on ya what ever floats your boat your a hero bubstance well done!
What's the best thing about fat chicks and scooters? There both fun to ride around until your mates find out!

pedalgrinder
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by pedalgrinder »

The tone section would be the most interesting to view on this not how it works but where he has placed it. Some variations place it more at the beginning others at the end. From the photos i can't gather where he has put it. Any one have a clue?

bubstance
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Lab Series L11
Completed builds: more than a few, less than a ton

Post by bubstance »

From what I can see (and please, feel free to correct me if you see differently), it looks like he's got it tied to pin 6 and Q5 (numbering from GGG).
powered by 9front

pedalgrinder
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by pedalgrinder »

Pearl-CO04compres.pdf
(96.44 KiB) Downloaded 512 times
See on this Pearl compressor the tone section is at the beginning and i did build this one thinking it would be really good only to be rather dissapointed with it. The tone on this one seemed dead and not very affective. I do wonder if being in that later position would give more effect. I do know that of course it depends on your frequency range and what caps you use and of course you can tailor the tone section to whatever you like. Which i did try adjusting the caps and stuff to get a different frequency range but still seemed dead responding. I know from hearing others and thats partly what caught my interest of this one is the tone section seems to play a more dominant role. Now wheather thats because a active signal is being injected that is compressed helps out thats what iam trying to work out. the biggest complaint with a lot of compressor is that you either lose bass with some or they roll of the highs. I was thinking a treble booster with the ibanez nb-10 as you can still get the lm1894 on evilbay and that would kill the hiss or any excessive highs. But still give you the full range. Which the dynacomp and ross were notorious for was hiss in one shape or another on different variations. Then if you adjust the tone section so you are able to play with your bass response it would appear that all problems are covered to a degree. Nothings perfect i know but one can only try.

merlinb
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by merlinb »

pedalgrinder wrote:
Pearl-CO04compres.pdf
See on this Pearl compressor the tone section is at the beginning and i did build this one thinking it would be really good only to be rather dissapointed with it. The tone on this one seemed dead and not very affective. I do wonder if being in that later position would give more effect.
Putting EQ before a compressor makes sense from a noise perspective, since most people use it to boost treble. If you boost treble afterwards then you're boosting all the noise generated by the compressor.
However, anything you boost before a compressor will get compressed (obviously), so you get the impression of less boost (especially if it's actually limiter rather than a compressor, like the Dyna). You can make up for this simply by adding yet more boost, but eventually you run out of headroom of course. Inevitably it's a compromise; most people value low noise more than a super-boosting tone control.

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

culturejam wrote:
MullisMan wrote:I've tried desoldering the pots to get a better look at the traces but they won't come out even when using a solder sucker. Any suggestions?
Have to desolder both sides. That's the tricky part about 2-sided PCBs.
use a desoldering braid,its the only way to remove without damaging traces

pedalgrinder
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by pedalgrinder »

the ultimate i believe is a desoldering station or gun sucks it out quick and fast. Braid is good but you still got to apply a fair bit of heat. but the desoldering guns aren't all that cheap either about $98 dollars on evilbay i've been closely looking at them.

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

The 12 dollar desolder iron from Radioshack works just fine.
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

Liquids
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg V4!!!!

Post by Liquids »

If you're in a region they ship to, TubeDepot.com sells a really nice, cheap solder sucker that I've had great success with (and last I checked it was under $10). Their shipping is cheap too and you might find other parts worth getting while you're shopping:

http://tubedepot.com/ts-384-1000.html

Roast7
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Roast7 »

Someone always trace this pedal?
It is a great pedal, it was very good, someone get his scheme :)

indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by indyguitarist »

Roast7 wrote:Someone always trace this pedal?
It is a great pedal, it was very good, someone get his scheme :)
seriously? "someone get his schematic"?

Jack Deville
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: too many. too many.

Post by Jack Deville »

indyguitarist wrote: seriously? "someone get his schematic"?
Like that. I know man. Frustrates the hell outta me too.
I'm a "professional."
Buy my products and make me rich.

www.jackdeville.com

piod
Information
my favorite amplifier: 5150

Post by piod »

I guess It could looks like as:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/209 ... K-Comp.png

This is not a 100% to original, but is very close. I don't have Ego Comp pedal on my workbench. I'm just tried to design similar device to my customer. It's verified on 90%, just may be need a couple final tweaks. :roll: ...and you know, OTA it's CA3080

rafikian
Information

Post by rafikian »

MullisMan where are you mate :shock:
please put some values on the components below :hug:

https://oshpark.com/profiles/MullisMan

MullisMan
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr.
Completed builds: Timmy, Klon, Zendrive, King of Tone, Rat, BSIAB2, Riot!, Fuzz Factory, Coloursound Overdriver, Divided by 13 Joyride, 70 Fuzz, BBE Sonic Stomp, Big Muff PI, Xotic EP Booster, Lovepedal Eternity, Jack Orman Minibooster, Dynacomp/Ross/Keeley Compressor, SHO

Post by MullisMan »

That board is incorrect, I need to take it down from OSHpark. There are still errors in the schematic. The ego comp has probably been updated by now anyway. Is this something people still want to build? No sarcasm intended there.
I want to build it all.

rafikian
Information

Post by rafikian »

yes !! I still want to build it :)

ambusch
Information
my favorite amplifier: Changes Everyday.
Completed builds: Orange squeezer, Ross Compressor (RoDy mod & attack control), DOD compressor, Tremulus Lune, Skil Drive (YATS), lots of opamp/diode based overdrive variants and mods, Rat (stock&4knob), Mutron (I don't remember all the mods done to the mutron).

Post by ambusch »

Early on, this thread has had some heat with what appears to be weirdly bad intentions, so with some trepidation, here goes nothing. Hopefully someone finds this useful.

Attached is what I was able to trace so far with some help from MullisMan. I'm not sure about the values of C3, C4, C8, or C6 of my schematic. They all look like different caps, so its not verified. Also not sure about the C18 placement. The blend schematic looks very similar to a schematic I found on diy stompboxes from Processaurus back in 2005.
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... ic=40292.0

I've also attached component values for those who are curious where I got my part values from as well. MullisMan may be able to chime in with some more authority on different cap values/placement. Essentially it's a tweaked Ross compressor with some better power supply filtering and higher value coupling caps with a tweaked diy stompboxes blend circuit on the end. The value of C8 may have some tonal effects, but I believe in general, it appears all the tweaks he did are to make the signal more neutral, clean, and pristine.

Now whats so different between the V1 and V2? I hear something about a replacing a cap with a 330pF cap in V2 to darken things. Could be decreasing the bright cap across the volume pot, or perhaps a smaller cap for C7 would be my best guess?

Interesting to me, is based on what I was able to tell, with the tone all the way down, its essentially the same treble response as a standard Ross so not sure why some people would say its overly trebly... just turn the tone knob down?

If anyone sees anything glaringly incorrect, please let me know and I'll update it.
Attachments
values.pdf
values from pics
(1013.33 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
unverified
unverified