Wampler - Ego Compressor - Gut Shots

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
MullisMan
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr.
Completed builds: Timmy, Klon, Zendrive, King of Tone, Rat, BSIAB2, Riot!, Fuzz Factory, Coloursound Overdriver, Divided by 13 Joyride, 70 Fuzz, BBE Sonic Stomp, Big Muff PI, Xotic EP Booster, Lovepedal Eternity, Jack Orman Minibooster, Dynacomp/Ross/Keeley Compressor, SHO

Post by MullisMan »

Here are some gut shots, they're the first i've taken so let me know if I need to take more. I've started to trace it and it looks pretty similar to a Build Your Own Clone compressor.
Attachments
IMG_0648.JPG
IMG_0646.JPG
IMG_0645.JPG
IMG_0644.JPG
I want to build it all.

bubstance
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Lab Series L11
Completed builds: more than a few, less than a ton

Post by bubstance »

But remember...
• NOT a clone or copy of any other product on the market
I guess he's being truthful. :roll:
powered by 9front

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

bubstance wrote:But remember...
• NOT a clone or copy of any other product on the market
I guess he's being truthful. :roll:
It looks like a Dynacomp with op-amp buffering.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

plesur
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by plesur »

The BYOC has the attack control, the wet/dry blend, tone control and an output buffer.

I suppose because you have to build it yourself it's not 'on the market' :hmmm:

reneshelle
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by reneshelle »

The BYOC only has one IC. So it's not a 1:1 clone of clone of a clone that's for sure. But it looks Dynacomp/Ross based with more to it than that... I'm sure Mr. Wampler will tell you what it is based on if asked nicely. I've seen him do that several times before.

bubstance
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by bubstance »

I'm sure it's not an exact clone of any compressor, but I'm sure it's just a tweaked pre-existing one. I don't know, it just bothers me when manufacturers won't own up to their products being heavily based on other pedals, instead claiming that they're not clones of any other product. Yes it's true, but it's a bit misleading to the average non-electronically inclined consumer.
powered by 9front

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

bubstance wrote:I'm sure it's not an exact clone of any compressor,
And that probably qualifies it as not being a copy/clone of other existing compressors. There's not a whole lot of originality anywhere when it comes to stompbox compressors. It's either going to be based around an OTA (Ross, Dynacomp, etc), an op amp (Orange Squeezer), or some kind of optical element.

The differences really come in the add-on features. And it looks like this one has more going on that a Dynacomp.

jamiefbolton
Information

Post by jamiefbolton »

lets give brian the benefit of the doubt since he's a stand up guy and a big contributor to the DIY community, until its proven that he's intentionally mislead folks. he's not like some builders who we know hype their builds as something more than they are.

MullisMan
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Timmy, Klon, Zendrive, King of Tone, Rat, BSIAB2, Riot!, Fuzz Factory, Coloursound Overdriver, Divided by 13 Joyride, 70 Fuzz, BBE Sonic Stomp, Big Muff PI, Xotic EP Booster, Lovepedal Eternity, Jack Orman Minibooster, Dynacomp/Ross/Keeley Compressor, SHO

Post by MullisMan »

jamiefbolton wrote:lets give brian the benefit of the doubt since he's a stand up guy and a big contributor to the DIY community, until its proven that he's intentionally mislead folks. he's not like some builders who we know hype their builds as something more than they are.

Definitely. I have a lot of respect for Brian and he comes up with some interesting designs, as well as contributing a lot to the DIY community like you said. In the Triple Wreck thread on this site he basically laid out the schematic for that pedal. I wasn't posting these pics to bring down his image, I genuinely want to figure this pedal out because it's the only compressor I like using.

I've tried desoldering the pots to get a better look at the traces but they won't come out even when using a solder sucker. Any suggestions?
I want to build it all.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

MullisMan wrote:I've tried desoldering the pots to get a better look at the traces but they won't come out even when using a solder sucker. Any suggestions?
Have to desolder both sides. That's the tricky part about 2-sided PCBs.

MullisMan
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by MullisMan »

Ah, back to the lair. :horsey:
I want to build it all.

indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by indyguitarist »

It's your standard dynacomp/ross circuit with a clean blend via inverted opamp. fairly standard stuff.

seedseed
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by seedseed »

this one seems to sound better than your standard ross clones and so on and so on there is something unique there doing with this one to make it sound that good.

engineelite
Information

Post by engineelite »

Ya, I've owned both the byoc 5-knob comp and the current wampler comp. the wampler smokes the byoc in many ways IMO. The sound is more full frequency, there is much much more compression available and it might have been a touch quieter in the noise dept also. This wampler comp would be a nice build to add to my Rothwell Love squeeze clone and janglebox clone :)

Jack Deville
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: too many. too many.

Post by Jack Deville »

MullisMan wrote: I've tried desoldering the pots to get a better look at the traces but they won't come out even when using a solder sucker. Any suggestions?
Just bend em.
The legs can take a bit of abuse before they break. One word of caution, be sure to provide stress relief for the joints at the board. Some PCB's traces/pads can lift easily.
I'm a "professional."
Buy my products and make me rich.

www.jackdeville.com

pedalgrinder
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg SVT
Completed builds: pedals with pots switches and everything

Post by pedalgrinder »

any chance of finding out what changes are in this one compared to a ross. If i could get my grubby hands on it i would trace it myself but i can't see enough from pictures. What are the differences it can't be an exact ross clone sounds to different and clean.
What's the best thing about fat chicks and scooters? There both fun to ride around until your mates find out!

pedalgrinder
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg SVT
Completed builds: pedals with pots switches and everything

Post by pedalgrinder »

it may have the typical ross dynacomp topology but we definately need a good schematic of it. So if someone would like to build one they can after all thats what this is all about. it would be nice to see some track side pics so someone can have a go at a good trace. for a schematic. i bet if this thing could distort there would be a shit load more attention given to it. :roll:
What's the best thing about fat chicks and scooters? There both fun to ride around until your mates find out!

bubstance
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by bubstance »

Seriously? What more do you fucking NEED?
indyguitarist wrote:It's your standard dynacomp/ross circuit with a clean blend via inverted opamp. fairly standard stuff.
Just look at the values in the photos and see where they fit into the standard topology. If you need to, pretend the clean blend isn't there; that should help. Barring that, just fucking BUY one and trace it. You'll get the compressor you so desperately want and you can post a schematic.