Freekish Blues Betty Boost Guts

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

yeah that car analogy is a little flawed :oops:
let's try anyway :mrgreen:
how do you "put miles" on a stompbox? When i buy something and never use it, isn't it new? If i get a car delivered by a tow truck and pimp it without ever driving it, is it not new?

Although smearing a car in Nutella/Dogshit and painting over the emblem with nail polish isn't really pimping i suppose.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Seiche wrote:how do you "put miles" on a stompbox? When i buy something and never use it, isn't it new?
Maybe it's different, culturally, across the pond. Here, if you buy something from a store and take it home, it's considered used whether you actually use it or not. It might be in "like new" condition, but it's still not new.

"Used" has as much to do with point of sale as it does with condition. Without being an authorized retailer or distributor, very often any warranty that was attached to the product is now void. Also, if you see a guy selling brand new *widgets* (whatever) and he doesn't work at a store or have a shop, the stuff is probably either cheap knockoff or stolen.

Side note: there's nothing I hate more than buying a "new" item from a retail store only to discover later that someone else had already bought it and returned it, leaving their stupid fat American greasy fingerprints all over the item and not repacking the contents properly. Used is USED, damnit! :lol:

It's pretty hard to come up with a good analogy actually, as I don't quite think I've ever seen anybody do exactly what this schmuck is doing. :hmmm:
Seiche wrote:If i get a car delivered by a tow truck and pimp it without ever driving it, is it not new?
Not in America. The second that a car leaves the dealership lot, it immediately loses value and is considered a used vehicle. Once there has been a title of ownership issued to an individual buyer (which is required in order to take delivery), it's a used car, even if it's never driven.

Also, hot-rodding a car generally voids the manufacturer's warranty. Any car without an original warranty intact cannot be sold as new. It's no longer in original, new condition. Now, maybe the changes make it "better than new" in terms of performance, but that's a separate issue.

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

yeah, the car analogy is a weak one but its one we always seem to go to :)

by the way, an auto warranty in the US is only ever void if the modifications done can be proven to have caused the warranty issue. One of the few good laws we have here for consumers. Otherwise manufacturers are legally bound to honor the warranty, regardless of modification or transfer of ownership. As long as the manufacturer cannot conclusively conclude the repair needed is a direct result of a modification, warranty applies by law. And some state laws are even more strict.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Rehousing the circuit and re-branding it could fall under trademark dilution, I think.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

culturejam wrote:Also, hot-rodding a car generally voids the manufacturer's warranty. Any car without an original warranty intact cannot be sold as new. It's no longer in original, new condition. Now, maybe the changes make it "better than new" in terms of performance, but that's a separate issue.
that would be joyo, but for anyone buying an FB, the manufacturer would be FB who also issues the warranty.

that "new" definition might be exactly the same over here, i'm just not really familiar with the legal stuff. i just sold drill bits on ebay as "new" because they were still in the original packaging unopened as i've never used them.

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

madbean wrote:Rehousing the circuit and re-branding it could fall under trademark dilution, I think.
I don't see how. Joyo's trademark would be unaffected as it is not being used at all. Trademark dilution usually refers to people using a slightly varied version of the same trademark in order to use customer confusion to garner a portion of the trademark owners market share. That would only apply here if the original could be confused with the re-branded version. His painting and branding are so far removed from the original that it would be hard to make that case.

diggum12
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by diggum12 »

I thought somewhere he stated he had developed this as an original circuit, but I don't quite see that description on the website.

To me, that's the only law he broke. But I'm a person who doesn't need a law to dictate my character.
"Now we cheer if someone get's a tweed champ working. I feel like the future was here and we traded it away for trinkets." -diagrammatiks

ayayay! on the other site

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

diggum12 wrote:I thought somewhere he stated he had developed this as an original circuit, but I don't quite see that description on the website.

To me, that's the only law he broke. But I'm a person who doesn't need a law to dictate my character.
Yeah, that's my point. Technically, he hasn't broken any laws. Ethically, he seems a little bankrupt.

trutone
Information

Post by trutone »

Waiting for the schematics freekish ones that is.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

trutone wrote:Waiting for the schematics freekish ones that is.
:roll: