Clark - Gainster (big box) / Barber

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Just a follow up, here's a more compact version for those not wanting to use Clark's component selection.

"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

white_cat_7000
Information

Post by white_cat_7000 »

indyguitarist wrote:
call1800ksmyazz wrote:Here ya go.

Kerry
Hi Kerry,
cool, thanks! Always wondered about that one. Crazy that it's just a boss od-1 without buffers and a different nfb network

bw
Why does it seem like every pedal can be described like that, simply a copy with a small variation? I don't really like an od-1 at all, i couldn't imagine small changes would change the character much.

nzCdog
Information

Post by nzCdog »

Built this circuit using a turretboard layout inspired by IVIarks' layout here : viewtopic.php?f=75&t=8193&start=80#p86809 (Thanks dude!) :thumbsup
Made a few changes as I found the original circuit a bit low on gain, and a bit bright for my tastes...

Gain increases by reducing the 10K resistor between pin 1 and 6 of the IC to 5K
Presence Cap - 100n for better control over the range of the 25k pot
IC - JRC4558... tried a few, just sounded good to me

Got some pics here if your interested http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/inde ... pic=2015.0
Shaken, not stirred... Christchurch, New Zealand.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Great looking build, thanks for the pics :thumbsup
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

blue_lu
Information

Post by blue_lu »

Hey IvIark,

I also used your Tagboard layout and built this - worked right from the getgo - many thanks for sharing this.
Some pictures and questions:

So some questions for those who have already built this pedal:

1.) I am currently using a LF353N, early Bigbox Gainster has anyone tried a JRC072BD ? they are a little difficult to get here in Germany.
2.) NOS PIO Caps from Russia are on the way ( K42Y-2). A guy who built that circuit said "80% of the sound is in these caps, more dynamics and more lifelyness" (he doesn't sell these caps btw, or is affiliated in any other way :lol:) . while its probably not 80%, but in your experience, do they make a difference?
3.) For Diodes I am using standard 1N914. Clark made Gainsters using a different set of diodes... I 'll have to dig them up again. do different diodes really sound different? (noticably)
4.) I think I wired the tone control the exact opposite way than normal. so no its counter clockwise increasing highs. should I correct this, or is it just a functional matter?
5) The reason why I am asking all these questions is that the gainster to me seems really TS-like and I expected a bit more rough and wooly / tweedy quality so to speak. any mods I should try? run on a higher voltage (12 or 18 volt?).

blue_lu
Information

Post by blue_lu »

I recieved these guys recently:

0,1µF NOS Russian Caps (some say they are PIO, but I read on fsb.org that they arent...) type: K42Y-2

fired up the soldering iron to remove your standard green bean cap and drop in the Russion replacements:
Job done! A little crooked, but working.

switched on the fender princeton, engaged the pedal - and HOLY SHIT! it sounds different. a lot. it sounds what I imagine to be a tweed amp. runchy with a wooly low end texture. not too wooly but just right. I am really really amazed. I never really believed in "the voodoo parts" , but the difference to the chinese green beans made my jaw drop. it sounds like a different pedal to me now. it went from ts like -> very tweedy with the switch of these two caps.

it sounds super nice now. maybe I should leave it as is, BUT

Some questions remain:
I still have a chinese 0.47µF after the tone pot - should I switch to something mojo-esque here too? what do you recommend to try.
What kind of Diodes to try besides the 1N914?
Is the OP amp switch worth it (353 to JRC072BD)?

Besides these questions, my message here is: 1.) build a gainster, it is awesome 2.) make sure you use the big box parts all around including these caps. they do sound A LOT different. and with different I mean "tweedier".

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Thanks for the pics, great looking build. And those K42Y-2's are paper in oil, I've taken one apart. They are described as "metallized paper in oil" which ties in exactly with what I could see.

blue_lu
Information

Post by blue_lu »

IvIark wrote:Thanks for the pics, great looking build. And those K42Y-2's are paper in oil, I've taken one apart. They are described as "metallized paper in oil" which ties in exactly with what I could see.
ah ok, I must have missread it somehow. thanks for the clarification. the gainster sounds still killer. might have to build a smaller enclosure version.
the stripboard/tagboard has the upside of being very easily modable though...

either way, thanks for making the schematics available. a very strong "character" pedal it is.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

DougH wrote:Resurrecting an old thread here...

I breadboarded this last night to try it out and I confess I don't really get the point. It didn't really develop much internal gain unless the presence was cranked and then it became so trebly it was almost unusable- very icepicky take-your-head-off highs. It sounded like some of the clips I've heard of it in the past.

Can someone describe how they use this thing? Do you use it to boost the front end of your amp? Or do you just use it as an overdrive? What kind of amp do you use it with?

I used it with my Vox AC15 "clone" and it just sounded like a generic run of the mill Fender amp that is cranked up slightly- no big deal. With the presence control in a sane setting, it just added a very slight clip to the clean sound of the amp, barely noticeable.

I'm just trying to figure out what it is used for. If it's used to add a very slight distortion to your 100W Twin at bedroom volume, I guess it makes sense, but it seems like overkill for that.

I'm honestly not trying to be sarcastic. If you like this thing and use it I'd like to hear how it "fits in" to your rig and what you use it for. It's an interesting looking circuit. Nice to see someone doing something with an op amp besides a TS...

EDIT: Okay, I've found some more clips and they sound "fatter" then what I'm hearing on the breadboard. Maybe I have something wired up wrong. Also- are you guys sure the 47n "presence" cap is correct? Seems like that may contributing to some of the "thinness" I'm hearing.

I'm not sure if this is how they're using it to get the sounds in the clips, but, here's how I use an overdrive pedal, basically I start with my little Legacy Valve Edition 5 amp's sound, I max out the gain control on it, and bring my master volume up till I get a reasonable volume level, I'll have a slightly crunchy tone at this point, next I play around with the amp's tone controls till I get something that sounds good, and then finally I kick-in the overdrive pedal and add it's gain till I get the amount of crunch I'm after, once I've done that I tweak the pedal's tone control till I like what I hear..... :thumbsup

My little Legacy amp does tend to naturally sound a bit dark and midrangey on it's own..... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

Bringing this one back from the dead.

I built out this pedal based on the schematics here but the Bottom control is not working (it has no effect on the tone at all) so I'm wondering if that portion of the schematic is correct. The rest of the pedal works fine though. I did noticed that on some 4-knob Red Snapper schematic (Menatone calls it the Bite control) that the layout is different so that's why I'm asking if the other schematic is correct. I do have a Clark/Barber Gainster and the Bottom is subtle but you can definitely hear it when it's turned up but I'm trying to avoid tearing it apart as they're getting harder to find. This is one of the Red Snapper schematics I came across which is the Snapster project from another forum member...

And then this one from Dirk Hendrick...

So is the JHS schematic posted in this thread incorrect? Thanks!
The television will not be revolutionized.

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

nzCdog wrote:Built this circuit using a turretboard layout inspired by IVIarks' layout here : viewtopic.php?f=75&t=8193&start=80#p86809 (Thanks dude!) :thumbsup
Made a few changes as I found the original circuit a bit low on gain, and a bit bright for my tastes...

Gain increases by reducing the 10K resistor between pin 1 and 6 of the IC to 5K
Presence Cap - 100n for better control over the range of the 25k pot
IC - JRC4558... tried a few, just sounded good to me

Got some pics here if your interested http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/inde ... pic=2015.0
So you went from the 56n to a 100n? Can you explain how it gave you better control? Thanks.
The television will not be revolutionized.

PCN
Information

Post by PCN »

I've been comparing the JHS schematic to a small box Gainster and found some trace changes.

1) No 100n volume cap. Could be the 68n, but seems strange as it is conected to a 10k resistor above in the left.
2) 1M resistor in volume leg 3 seems conected to ground.
3) The bass trimpot cap has the same value (1u), but probably is wired differently.

Could anyone help clarify these tracks?