Catalinbread - CB30  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
HHR18
Information

Post by HHR18 »

Just build this but it doesn't seem to work. I the vero layout by mike on page 3 verified? I get very low output!

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Catalinbread just released a special version of the CB-30 for PGS, they claim that the circuit is "redesgned" and "hotter". And they included the Naga Viper booster:
http://proguitarshop.com/catalinbread-galileo.html
(

As many people weren't totally happy with their CB-30 clones, it could be really worth retracing the new version. Maybe someone in the US could get a "Galileo"? I think they won't be available for long...

Or maybe Nick could chime in and tell us about the changes? :hug:

mark123
Information

Post by mark123 »

mmolteratx wrote:Here's the redrawn Eagle schem with the updated values I promised. One's a PNG, one's the Eagle project file for those who want to do a board layout. I used Madbean's library for all the parts.
Sorry to bring up an old post but I put this together today. I wanted a CB30 and not a Galileo and since the CB30 is discontinued I went for the build. It sounds fantastic. The only issue is the bass control seems backwards. CW cuts the bass.

Well done.

mark123
Information

Post by mark123 »

Sorry, new here. Are obligatory pics required as elsewhere? :D
IMG_3864.JPG
IMG_3863.JPG

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

Nobody noticed the missing capacitor in the input to the second µ-amp - it needs to be between the 100k resistor and the gate of the lower FET in the second µ-amp. Put 100n in there (like the input to the first stage, and the thing springs to life, since turning the "Gain" control no longer screws up the DC conditions of the second µ-amp!

It doesn't sound much like my AC30, but it does have a (sort of) similar response, and will dirty up the input to an otherwise clean solid-state amp. It's quite responsive to playing dynamics, and the tone controls are quite wide-ranging, but I can think of better uses for five 2N5457s!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

aion
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by aion »

So uh - this is interesting. I grabbed one of these just to get a concurring trace since there were some unresolved questions about the original schematic and I thought we should solve it once and for all.

But mine is different - it has 8 transistors (all 2N5457). The PCB layout is completely different and very, very cramped with all the huge electrolytic capacitors. I bought it secondhand so I don't know its provenance, but cosmetically it's the same as all the others I've seen.

The PCB says 2011 on it, which is the year the CB30 was released, but OP's trace was done in July 2011, which would have been within a few weeks of the original release.

All that to say: I am very confused about what I'm working with here, but whatever the case, I'll be tracing it to get it straightened out for good.
Attachments
cb30_pcb_side_2.jpg
cb30_pcb_side.jpg
cb30_pcb_top.jpg