JHS - Sweet Tea

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
User avatar
batteryacidtea
Breadboard Brother
Information
Posts: 104
Joined: 18 Feb 2009, 03:42
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Post by batteryacidtea »

Oh, you're guys are right. Sorry for that, Dimebug! But, WTF? 299 bucks for this thing?

User avatar
madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Barcode wrote:Brian, it definitely is one of yours. It's this one from the Crunch Box thread:

http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... =60#p41675
Well, there you have it. That's kinda frustrating. I forgot about having a layout posted here. In fact, I removed the various Crunchbox layouts from my site some time ago. Ah, well.

Looking at it now, that layout I did pretty much sucks anyway.

User avatar
batteryacidtea
Breadboard Brother
Information
Posts: 104
Joined: 18 Feb 2009, 03:42
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Post by batteryacidtea »

As I remember, that's the second time a hyped builder uses this Crunch Box layout of yours, right?

User avatar
mich
Breadboard Brother
Information
Posts: 60
Joined: 19 Aug 2010, 20:54
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Post by mich »

Not for nothing but isn't using someone's layout, i.e. artwork, without permission the only thing that's "illegal" when cloning a circuit? Am I missing something here?

User avatar
Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information
Posts: 818
Joined: 27 Sep 2007, 17:03
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Post by Barcode »

Yes, which is what is going on here, from appearances.

User avatar
Westbury
Information
Posts: 20
Joined: 14 Jul 2011, 09:44
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 7 times

Post by Westbury »

Looks like they're at it again

User avatar
Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information
Posts: 382
Joined: 22 Oct 2007, 18:26
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Post by Whoismarykelly »

coldcraft wrote:you see how the enclosure has ".... copper" written on the inside? they have all their powder coating done by PPP.
Thats a big part of the industry now though. Even big names (by boutique standards) get stuff done by them.

User avatar
culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information
Posts: 4050
Joined: 24 Feb 2008, 05:59
Has thanked: 451 times
Been thanked: 553 times

Post by culturejam »

Whoismarykelly wrote:Thats a big part of the industry now though. Even big names (by boutique standards) get stuff done by them.
Totally. If I went crazy and started a pedal company tomorrow, the first thing I'd do is find a good reliable source of finished boxes.

But uh, I'd do my own goddamn PCB layouts. :lol:

(or pay someone to do it for me...it's not a big deal, just don't use other people's hard work without asking/compensating them)

User avatar
J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information
Posts: 1048
Joined: 29 Jun 2011, 01:25
Location: US Florida
Has thanked: 313 times
Been thanked: 540 times

Post by J0K3RX »

Ya wanna read some funny sh!t? http://www.jhspedals.com/Overdrive_Unveiling.html This guy is a douche lord... :thumbsup

User avatar
madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

culturejam wrote: Totally. If I went crazy and started a pedal company tomorrow, the first thing I'd do is find a good reliable source of finished boxes.

But uh, I'd do my own goddamn PCB layouts. :lol:

(or pay someone to do it for me...it's not a big deal, just don't use other people's hard work without asking/compensating them)
Totally agreed. Funny I was thinking the same thing earlier today. The only way I would ever see myself jumping into professional production would be if I didn't have to mess around with painting and labeling boxes. Just stuff, solder, load and do the QA.

Anyway, your second point is a real stickler for me. I'm personally over the idea that so many different companies are building the same things or ripping each other off, whatever. But, at least take the time to design your own circuit board. It's absolutely the least amount of effort you can put into making something your own product besides branding. Anything less than that is pure laziness, IMO.

User avatar
Seven64
Information
Posts: 44
Joined: 22 Mar 2011, 06:14
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 7 times

Post by Seven64 »

but they changed the grounding strip, so it has to be their layout right :roll:

User avatar
coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information
Posts: 725
Joined: 11 Jul 2009, 01:00
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 80 times

Post by coldcraft »

Seven64 wrote:but they changed the grounding strip, so it has to be their layout right :roll:
you mean they overlapped two layouts so they shared a ground? great ingenuity right there.
Black Dynamite wrote:you need to shut the fuck up when grown folks is talkin.

User avatar
Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information
Posts: 1492
Joined: 20 May 2009, 01:45
Has thanked: 311 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Post by Duckman »

I agree with culturejam and madbean. My two "geez-not-again" moments are:
making de PCB (maybe I should jump to vero) and finishing the enclosure.
The rest is pure fun!

User avatar
culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information
Posts: 4050
Joined: 24 Feb 2008, 05:59
Has thanked: 451 times
Been thanked: 553 times

Post by culturejam »

madbean wrote:Totally agreed. Funny I was thinking the same thing earlier today. The only way I would ever see myself jumping into professional production would be if I didn't have to mess around with painting and labeling boxes. Just stuff, solder, load and do the QA.
I'd also see what the cost is to have the boards stuffed. As long as the parts are to spec and of good quality, who (or what) solders them on the board is not a factor. That would leave me with final assembly, QA, and the giant mountain of bullshit otherwise known as running a small business.


Now we're really off topic. I might have to moderate myself. :lol:

User avatar
Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information
Posts: 1492
Joined: 20 May 2009, 01:45
Has thanked: 311 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Post by Duckman »

culturejam wrote:Now we're really off topic.
Wow! That never happened before :mrgreen:

Maybe a new thread "Transition from hobby to small business considerations"? I think a lot of people here have something to say about :hmmm:

User avatar
culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information
Posts: 4050
Joined: 24 Feb 2008, 05:59
Has thanked: 451 times
Been thanked: 553 times

Post by culturejam »

Duckman wrote:Maybe a new thread "Transition from hobby to small business considerations"? I think a lot of people here have something to say about :hmmm:
I almost did that earlier. But go ahead start a thread in Member's Corner. I'll certainly chime in.

User avatar
irmcdermott
Breadboard Brother
Information
Posts: 103
Joined: 06 Jul 2009, 01:38
Location: Franklin/Nashville, TN
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Post by irmcdermott »

I had a chuckle at this when I thought of it... and I know it's not intentional (at least I hope)... but they are using madbean's layout for the CrunchBox side of this pedal, which they say is their "very own Angry Charlie"..... and look at madbean's avatar :)

I know it's most likely a "Brown Sound" reference, but it's a funny coincidence.

User avatar
iq01221
Solder Soldier
Information
Posts: 205
Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 16:17
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Post by iq01221 »

irmcdermott wrote:I had a chuckle at this when I thought of it... and I know it's not intentional (at least I hope)... but they are using madbean's layout for the CrunchBox side of this pedal, which they say is their "very own Angry Charlie"..... and look at madbean's avatar :)

I know it's most likely a "Brown Sound" reference, but it's a funny coincidence.
Carly's not laughty, at all I guess... :lol:

User avatar
irmcdermott
Breadboard Brother
Information
Posts: 103
Joined: 06 Jul 2009, 01:38
Location: Franklin/Nashville, TN
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Post by irmcdermott »

So, since it's been cracked open.... Is it an EXACT clone of both pedals? I guess the only thing we can't tell from the pics on there are the cap values.

User avatar
coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information
Posts: 725
Joined: 11 Jul 2009, 01:00
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 80 times

Post by coldcraft »

you should be asking yourself, why would JHS BOTHER changing any values?
Black Dynamite wrote:you need to shut the fuck up when grown folks is talkin.

Post Reply