D*A*M - Sonic Titan ( DAM )  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
devastator
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by devastator »

yeah I've a "ploc" switching :?

Any tricks to remove that noise ? I'm thinking about add input cap and a 1M resistor in the side where the input goes.

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

abfackeln wrote:Interesting..... no sputtery decay in my build. Just finished it up using McElroy's layout. Cheap-ass Rat-Shack LM386 and MPF102, biased at 4.5v. Doesn't seem to have quite as much gain available, but I imagine that's likely due to the FET.
Update (Mouser order came in today) -
Swapped out the MPF102 with a J201. Definitely a better sound with a little more gain. Took it another step and threw in an NTE458 - definitely my favorite so far. Could only get it biased down to 6v, so I'll likely have to swap out some resistors. Sounds freakin' awesome, though. And still no sputtery decay at any gain setting.

highway jones
Information

Post by highway jones »

...built mine from Mike's vero layout and am currently running it straight into headphones or cabinet while I wait on my amp to be repaired. It's not loud enough for the cab but the sound is audible. It has a nice Black Crowes / The Faces tone to it and cleans up extremely well. I might build another with an LM386-N3 to use for quirt occasions. Can't wait to send it through my tube amp.

stanimal08
Information

Post by stanimal08 »

just a quick vid i made of a ST clone i built for someone at another forum.... i didn't expect much from it to be honest (and the compression on the youtube vid does make it sound a bit trebly in the vid) but through my aC15 it's one of the most gorgeous sounds i've ever heard....

Thanks for the hard work McElroy, i'm quickly becoming a fan of your posts here.....

McElroy0717
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by McElroy0717 »

Thanks man! Pedal sounds great. All I did was ask dumb questions to people much smarter than me. Skinpimp and Mike did the real hard work :D

stanimal08
Information

Post by stanimal08 »

McElroy0717 wrote:Thanks man! Pedal sounds great. All I did was ask dumb questions to people much smarter than me. Skinpimp and Mike did the real hard work :D
OF COURSE! my bad, thanks guys, great thread, great pedal, brilliant work... i'm already starting the build for my own version of this pedal, it's a gorgeous gorgeous sound....

dorfmeister
Information

Post by dorfmeister »

stanimal08 wrote:

just a quick vid i made of a ST clone i built for someone at another forum.... i didn't expect much from it to be honest (and the compression on the youtube vid does make it sound a bit trebly in the vid) but through my aC15 it's one of the most gorgeous sounds i've ever heard....

Thanks for the hard work McElroy, i'm quickly becoming a fan of your posts here.....
Sounds great. I am looking forward to playing it!

xampworshipx
Information

Post by xampworshipx »

How has this thread gone on 8 pages without anyone mentioning Sleep!?

:hmmm: :scratch: :horsey:

Lawnchair
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Lawnchair »

The Ruby amplifier is referenced earlier in the thread.

destro
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Peavey Classic Series

Post by destro »

i thought he meant the band... :slap:

McElroy0717
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by McElroy0717 »

I did some moving around on my photobucket and the old link to the layout no longer works.
Here it is again.

dennism
Information

Post by dennism »

So, could this be made into a little amplifier, it looks like it has a lot in common with the Ruby? Would it be as simple as running the output from the volume pot to a speaker positive and a ground to the speaker negative pole? Or is there more to it? And if there is more to it, could someone steer me in the right direction? Thanks!

blanik
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by blanik »

just made one, sounds great but i wish the drive set at minimum would give a cleaner boost, it's quite ovedriven at min drive and after 50% rotation of the drive knob it doesn't change much, is the secret for this thing the trimmer on the jfet? what would be the voltage for a cleaner drive range?

i also found that the tone knob is useful in the last 25% of it's rotation, before that it muffles too much (i used the 100k vol) a C100K pots would work great or using a 50k tone pot with larger resistors before and after...

blanik
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by blanik »

sorry i couldn't edit the previous post, after tweaking with this pedal i've discovered that raising the 2N3819s voltage to 7.20V give a lot more clean range while maintaining a lot of distortion when maxxed, i could change the trimpot to a fixed 1k resistor to have the same results, it's a lot more interesting to me now... i'm still tweaking with the tone values so far just lowering the tone pot to a B50k does the job

as far as C3 goes i've put a switch to select between 4n7 and 6n8 and it doesn't make much difference on my bridge pickup but on the neck the 6n8 gets muddy, i think i'll stick to the 4n7...

it's incredible how dynamic this circuit is... i wish i tried it sooner, but i will have to jam with it to know for sure

iamadamb
Information

Post by iamadamb »

made PCB's of this circuit if anyone is interested...

$5 shipped with parts list too.

pm me if you want one!

brushthrower
Information

Post by brushthrower »

Just curious why the 4001 diode was left out of Mike's layout. Will this significantly effect the sound?

mcaviel
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mcaviel »

Don't think so, it's a polarity protection diode.
You can put one on that vero from the +9 to ground

sneakytreats
Information

Post by sneakytreats »

Hello,
Been tweaking away on stompboxes for the past year but never had any reason to post anything before. :?

All i have is so far is question about this stompbox.
I almost love the sound of it but there is something not quite right. i seem to have too much booming bass. For some people this is not a bad thing but i am wondering if there is any way to reduce the bass response? I am also using a 100k log pot for volume and a 50k linear pot for the tone as this combination seemed the most usable to me in terms of taming the huge volume boost.

Hopefully someone has any ideas on what components to play around with that would be great!
Thanks
Chris

devastator
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by devastator »

blanik wrote:just made one, sounds great but i wish the drive set at minimum would give a cleaner boost, it's quite ovedriven at min drive and after 50% rotation of the drive knob it doesn't change much, is the secret for this thing the trimmer on the jfet? what would be the voltage for a cleaner drive range?

i also found that the tone knob is useful in the last 25% of it's rotation, before that it muffles too much (i used the 100k vol) a C100K pots would work great or using a 50k tone pot with larger resistors before and after...
I put a 1Mlog for the drive control instead of the 10K (I guess) , you have more possibilities of drive setting .

But like sneakytreats , mine still a little bit dark and full of bass 'til I put the tone at almost max (treble side). I cheked if I did something wrong and no that was the "good" values. i'll try to change the pot's value.

Also I have some strange noises , I suspect the LM386 to be damaged.

sneakytreats
Information

Post by sneakytreats »

I've decided to replace the 10uf output cap with something smaller i grabbed 33nf one to see how that sounds and i also increased one of the resistors in the tone stack to 2k. Its hard to say how much of a change it has made until i try it on my proper amp which is at our bands rehearsal space. But i think it has reduce the bass a bit which is what i am after.