JHS Panther Delay

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:
Preps it is time to write a Tapempo for Madbeans Dirtbag. AVR based though. As an assembly coder who started on 8051 assembly I never liked PIC's.
I'd pay money for that :P

drbob1
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by drbob1 »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:
Whalestone wrote:
Dirk_Hendrik wrote: Preps it is time to write a Tapempo for Madbeans Dirtbag. AVR based though. As an assembly coder who started on 8051 assembly I never liked PIC's.
OK, if this is fairly easy for you can I ask for a Tap Tempo unit that you could plug into the CV input of any CV equipped delay, that would allow you to map the delay time to tapping so that it could be used with any delay, not just one? Because different delays use different absolute resistances to map to a given delay time if I understand the problem correctly.

hazelwould
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hazelwould »

Re: "the chirp switch"- I thought a DM2 was darker, and the DMM was brighter?

Also, those are horrible aesthetics. For the prices charged I don't see how screen printed enclosures are out of the equation. :whappen:

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

drbob1 wrote:
Dirk_Hendrik wrote:
Whalestone wrote:
Dirk_Hendrik wrote: Preps it is time to write a Tapempo for Madbeans Dirtbag. AVR based though. As an assembly coder who started on 8051 assembly I never liked PIC's.
OK, if this is fairly easy for you can I ask for a Tap Tempo unit that you could plug into the CV input of any CV equipped delay, that would allow you to map the delay time to tapping so that it could be used with any delay, not just one? Because different delays use different absolute resistances to map to a given delay time if I understand the problem correctly.
Now you're changing perspective. There's a distinct difference between making a tap tempo that can contol a brand-x delay with CV delay time control and a tap tempo that is tailored for that one single application which it's supposed to control.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

drbob1
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by drbob1 »

Yup, I know. Mike said he would eventually release this functionality for the Amazeo, but it didn't happen. What I envision is a user programmable tap module with a USB connector. You'd hook up the delay to an analog in on the computer (or perhaps a USB mic?) then the tap unit to the delay and with USB to the computer. The computer would ring out the delay (this resistance=that delay), and you could save (better even if there were multiple presets for you delay pedals) the results and the tap would work forever more for that delay pedal. Even better if the tap would then output a pair of tap outputs (one always on, one always off) to integrate with other gear that'll accept a tap input.

So, you'd need controller, PC/Mac program, connectors... It DOES sound like a big job!

Just so I know, with the current crop of PIC based tap tempo implementations, are they individually tuned after the pedal's assembled or is it just a hope on the part of the builder that such and such an outputted CV will result in such and such an absolute delay time?

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

drbob1 wrote:Just so I know, with the current crop of PIC based tap tempo implementations, are they individually tuned after the pedal's assembled or is it just a hope on the part of the builder that such and such an outputted CV will result in such and such an absolute delay time?
I cannot even imagine a "general purpose" tap control for CV's. One wold have to have at least a bottom and top range control added to make it adapt to any CV controlled delay.

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

drbob1 wrote:Yup, I know. Mike said he would eventually release this functionality for the Amazeo,

Mike also says that OpAmps have a "burn in" time before they sound their best.
Black Dynamite wrote:you need to shut the fuck up when grown folks is talkin.

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

coldcraft wrote:
drbob1 wrote:Yup, I know. Mike said he would eventually release this functionality for the Amazeo,

Mike also says that OpAmps have a "burn in" time before they sound their best.
What goes down must go up principle.

If opamps sound their worst after a burn out they must sound best after burn in.

which brilliant "mike" are we talking about?

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

analogmike. the opamp bit is what he tells people who buy into his "high gain" KOT and don't like it right away. "The new "high gain" chip has to burn in."

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

coldcraft wrote:analogmike

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

"It takes exactly one day longer than the return policy"
Testing, testing, won too fwee

Whalestone
Information
Completed builds: Whalestone Angelite

Post by Whalestone »

coldcraft wrote:the opamp bit is what he tells people who buy into his "high gain" KOT and don't like it right away. "The new "high gain" chip has to burn in."
I believe the term used is "break-in", and it's not just for opamps:
"Electronic Break-in
This pedal seems to need some time to really sound best. Many people have reported that their pedal was a bit weak when they got it, but after using it for a while it got stronger with better tone. So feel free to leave it hooked up to a 9V power supply overnight to form the capacitors and blow the cobwebs out of the 40 year old silicon in the transistors."
http://www.analogman.com/astrotone.htm
H. Wahlsten
Founder of Whalestone

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

Whalestone wrote: I believe the term used is "break-in", and it's not just for opamps:
yes yes, same thing, but its all hogwash. we're getting off topic. sorry.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

coldcraft wrote:
Whalestone wrote: I believe the term used is "break-in", and it's not just for opamps:
yes yes, same thing, but its all hogwash. we're getting off topic. sorry.
Every thread gets stronger after it goes off topic for a while. It's called topical break-in. You can literally *hear* the improvement in the text. :lol:

LaceSensor
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by LaceSensor »

madbean wrote:
Dirk_Hendrik wrote:
Preps it is time to write a Tapempo for Madbeans Dirtbag. AVR based though. As an assembly coder who started on 8051 assembly I never liked PIC's.
I'd pay money for that :P
God yes

Whalestone
Information
Completed builds: Whalestone Angelite

Post by Whalestone »

coldcraft wrote: yes yes, same thing, but its all hogwash.
It is my understanding that burn-in is a different concept than the analogmike "break-in":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn-in
Back on topic:
Josh Scott, JHS Pedals, states in a post at tgp that they used the Way Huge AP1 / Boss DM2 topology and wrote their own program.
H. Wahlsten
Founder of Whalestone

drbob1
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by drbob1 »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:
drbob1 wrote:Just so I know, with the current crop of PIC based tap tempo implementations, are they individually tuned after the pedal's assembled or is it just a hope on the part of the builder that such and such an outputted CV will result in such and such an absolute delay time?
I cannot even imagine a "general purpose" tap control for CV's. One wold have to have at least a bottom and top range control added to make it adapt to any CV controlled delay.
Actually, if it had a 10v range, it could be interfaced with the Moog CP251 to easily bring it into alignment with most CV schemes (Moog's -5 to 5v, several others 0-10v or 0-5v ranges). Strangely it would not work with the Echoczar, which uses a reverse polarity in the control voltage: 0v is maximum delay, 10v is minimum! Still, it is a complex problem. For PT2399 based delays there's the project over at DIYstomboxes. Would be cool to have a MN3205 or 3208 based solution. I'd buy one (or build one if you design it)...

guycapuano
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by guycapuano »

It does sound really good from the demo videos. Also the DMM/DM-2 switch is very cool, whats the mechanics behind that you think?

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

guycapuano wrote:It does sound really good from the demo videos. Also the DMM/DM-2 switch is very cool, whats the mechanics behind that you think?

Switch between DM2 or DMM filtering most likely.

greigoroth
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by greigoroth »

Looks like it's become a $500 reality!

- does sound nice though.

edit: link not embedding correctly