Bearfoot - Pale Green Compressor  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

There are a few minor differences. Not liable to make a huge difference in sound but they're there. I'll draw up a schem this weekend maybe. Here's a parts list.

285R - 1
2k2 - 3
1k - 3
1M - 2
5k6 - 3
27k - 3
200k - 2
110R - 2
100n - 3
47n -1
22u - 3
1u - 3
1n914 - 2
1n4007 - 1
5V1 zener - 1

And then the transistors, voltage reg and op amp.

Donnerbox
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Donnerbox »

Seiche wrote:hmm, donner said on facebook there will be a revision soon with more compression (apparently people were asking for this).

how can this be accomplished? different LDR?

edit: apparently it's a pot change.
Yup - just tossing a 1Meg audio in the comp spot --- more comp/sustain for those that just gotta have it :thumbsup

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

Donnerbox wrote:
Seiche wrote:hmm, donner said on facebook there will be a revision soon with more compression (apparently people were asking for this).

Yup - just tossing a 1Meg audio in the comp spot --- more comp/sustain for those that just gotta have it :thumbsup
Cool. Might try this with mine, though TBH, I like it best around noon for what I usually use it for.

Donnerbox
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Donnerbox »

mmolteratx wrote:
Donnerbox wrote:

Cool. Might try this with mine, though TBH, I like it best around noon for what I usually use it for.
Yeah I like it stock too - but this is for the people who liked it, but wanted more after the comp knob is dimed.... so, there you go ~ more :thumbsup

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

DId you ever draw up the scheme for this Matt?
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Moonibopper
Information

Post by Moonibopper »

Any brave genius want to come up with a veroboard layout for this?

vikingz
Information

Post by vikingz »

i would buy this unit.

ch1
Information

Post by ch1 »

Hi!
Are there anyone who's built this with the VTL5C3 as mentioned earlier in this thread? If so, how does it work? Something new about a good working ldr/led combo?

Would be nice to build this but I think the ldr/led spec is the key to a good working compressor.

Philos2013
Information

Post by Philos2013 »

Resurrecting post :mrgreen:

I like this unit better than Forest green, so I'm ery interested in build one.

Any news about the correct schematic?

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

I lost a bunch of files in a hard drive crash, but here's the schem from memory. 99.9% sure it's correct. For mod ideas, split the tone control into two for a bass/treble control, change R16 into a 5k6 resistor in series with a 100k pot for a release control, place a 1k pot in between the collector of Q2/3 and the R16/C8/LED junction for an attack control, and change the value of the comp pot to 1M for more compression. I'd also get rid of R18 and just jumper across where it should be.
Attachments
Pale Green.png

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

ch1 wrote:Hi!
Are there anyone who's built this with the VTL5C3 as mentioned earlier in this thread? If so, how does it work? Something new about a good working ldr/led combo?

Would be nice to build this but I think the ldr/led spec is the key to a good working compressor.
Just build one and dick around with it. It's a compressor, not rocket science. If you need to adjust the range of your LDR, just dick around with the 215Ω CLR to change the LED response.

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

mmolteratx wrote:
Just build one and dick around with it. It's a compressor, not rocket science. If you need to adjust the range of your LDR, just dick around with the 215Ω CLR to change the LED response.
A simpler approach is just to build the Really Cheap Compressor - you'll get just the same results (especially if you use an NE5532 as the dual op-amp). It's simpler, cheaper, smaller and does the job just as well as this one. If you need the "Tone" control, it's easy to add (though I'm sceptical about the need for one on a compressor - it's just adding a knob for no good reason, apart from a bit of marketing!). The RCC gives great results at little cost. All this one gives you is a transistorised phase splitter, transistorised half-wave rectifiers, and a tone control. My compressor gives just the same results by driving LEDs straight from an audio source (that's separated from the "audio through" path), and sounds like it's not there (except your guitar behaves very differently when you bypass it - all the sustain disappears!)
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"