Haunting Mids V3  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

Pictures:

Schem:

If anyone cares, this was traced from #2.

EDIT: Schem now attached as well.
Attachments
HMv3.png

tube-exorcist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by tube-exorcist »

Who is the genius "designer" of this unit ? Using 3,3V zener-diodes in an antiparallel configuration so that they act as normal silicon diodes ?
"I've noticed there's an inverse relationship between cost of gear and talent. If you need the most expensive gear to get decent tones, then you suck as a player."

Dave_Mc
Information

Post by Dave_Mc »

nice :D

does it have haunting mids? :lol:

Skreddy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Skreddy »

tube-exorcist wrote:Who is the genius "designer" of this unit ? Using 3,3V zener-diodes in an antiparallel configuration so that they act as normal silicon diodes ?
I thought those were 12v zener diodes. I believe it was designed by the Montgomery Appliances guy, and I think it looks (and sounds) swell.

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

Yup. 4742 is a 12V zener.

bubstance
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Lab Series L11
Completed builds: more than a few, less than a ton

Post by bubstance »

Mmm, muffy.

So they (whoever) changed from the whole "NPN silicon into PNP germanium" thing, eh? The last gutshot I remember seeing of one of these had 4 transistors.
powered by 9front

Skreddy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Skreddy »

bubstance wrote:Mmm, muffy.

So they (whoever) changed from the whole "NPN silicon into PNP germanium" thing, eh? The last gutshot I remember seeing of one of these had 4 transistors.
Yeah, completely new design from the first one. This is of course a BMP minus tone stack and its recovery stage, plus fatter caps and novel clipping diodes.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Muff-elicious. I had to have the gain pot external for personal preference with a muff, but you could always replace it with a trimmer if you prefer it like the original. The Alps RH06 trimmers have long leads and could be used for that span, or alternatively a small trimmer daughterboard with flying leads could be used.

"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

tube-exorcist wrote:Who is the genius "designer" of this unit ? Using 3,3V zener-diodes in an antiparallel configuration so that they act as normal silicon diodes ?
I selected the 4742 because I had some on hand when I prototyped this circuit and I didn't have 914s. I stuck with them because they are big and fat and they look cool, and I knew they would some day troll fsb.org :mrgreen:

The circuit is influenced by Marc's work with the Mayo but has been chopped up a bit. Its extremely bassy and has been popular with bass players maybe moreso than guitar players.

tube-exorcist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by tube-exorcist »

Skreddy wrote:
I thought those were 12v zener diodes.
Does that make a big difference ?:
they act as normal silicon diodes
Skreddy wrote: ...and novel clipping diodes.
"novelty" would be the right word:
I selected the 4742 because .... I didn't have 914s. I stuck with them because they are big and fat and they look cool....
"I've noticed there's an inverse relationship between cost of gear and talent. If you need the most expensive gear to get decent tones, then you suck as a player."

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

[quote="Whoismarykelly]I selected the 4742 because I had some on hand when I prototyped this circuit and I didn't have 914s.[/quote]

The same criteria apply to use BC337 that is a general purpose NPN ?

How much noise reduction can we expect if build the same circuit using BC549, for example ?

Cheers,
Jose

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

Try it and see! I liked the sound of the 337 more than other transistors I tried. Other folks may like other things.

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

Whoismarykelly wrote:and I knew they would some day troll fsb.org :mrgreen:
Yeah, FSB has been haunted by Big Muff clones for quite some time... Image
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

phibes wrote:
Whoismarykelly wrote:and I knew they would some day troll fsb.org :mrgreen:
Yeah, FSB has been haunted by Big Muff clones for quite some time... Image
A simplified and revoiced muff design is what people on the forum wanted so this circuit is what was designed and built :thumbsup

These pedals are community projects based on forumite requests. If everyone wants a spice box with stereo input and quadraphonic output next time then that will be the next one to come off the line :lol:

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

Whoismarykelly wrote:Try it and see! I liked the sound of the 337 more than other transistors I tried. Other folks may like other things.
Thank you for your answer.

Perhaps a couple of BC337-16 also deserve to be tested into a Vox Wah clone to see what happens... :hmmm:

So, back to the topic: this pedal has only the knob to tweak the output volume, the led and the pushbutton at the front panel ?

Cheers,
Jose

sonicmojo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sonicmojo »

I put this on my breadboard and I think it sounds pretty huge. I preferred 10K at R6 for use with an external gain pot and used 5088s in the 350hfe range. I think I may try a turret layout with some carbon comps and box it.

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

Yea, it's definitely got a ton of bass. Pretty picky about what you use with it as a result. Gotta have an amp with some decent headroom.

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

mmolteratx wrote:Yea, it's definitely got a ton of bass. Pretty picky about what you use with it as a result. Gotta have an amp with some decent headroom.
All the prototyping was done with a Hiwatt 100-watter and a 4x12.

danielzink
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Too many: www.danielzink.com

Post by danielzink »

Old thread I know....

But.

I've built one of these as per IvIark's layout above and I'm looking to get a little more output out of it.

As suggested by IvIark:
You can increase the gain of the final stage by reducing the emitter resistor, or increasing the collector resistor.
Suffice to say that my assembly and troubleshooting skills far outweigh my circuit layout/tracing skills....

Anyone care to point me to which of these resistors I should be concerning myself with ?

Thanks !!

Dan
http://www.danielzink.com
MoonWatcher wrote: Silent ain't better. If someone cracks the shitwind, I want to know what's headed my way. Silence is for the library and the cemetery.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

danielzink wrote:Old thread I know....

But.

I've built one of these as per IvIark's layout above and I'm looking to get a little more output out of it.

As suggested by IvIark:
You can increase the gain of the final stage by reducing the emitter resistor, or increasing the collector resistor.
Suffice to say that my assembly and troubleshooting skills far outweigh my circuit layout/tracing skills....

Anyone care to point me to which of these resistors I should be concerning myself with ?

Thanks !!

Dan
R14 = Emitter resistor
R16 = Collector resistor
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012