Robin Trower Wahfull Pedal

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
robrhy
Information

Post by robrhy »

My mate's a great Robin Trower fan and he's trying to get the same pedal set up he has so looking for any info about the Robin Trower Wahfull Pedal ? Is it just a wah in a box as Mike Fuller says or is there more to it than that.
The Blues Is Just a Bald Man With a Comb

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

Ah yes - there is Robin's foot and Robin's facial expressions!!

Fredenando
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Fredenando »

By 1977’s In City Dreams Trower was using a modified wah-wah pedal with an expanded sweep and gadgets like the Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress, which blends stereo flanging and chorus effects.

Trower’s hottest rig blasted his array of Strats through a pair of 100-watt Marshall JMP-100 Mark II heads feeding two 1960-B 4x12 cabs and had an impressive effects chain on the floor: custom preamp and clean booster pedals, a Dan Armstrong Red Ranger treble booster, a Tychobrahe wah-wah, an octave/fuzz Fender Blender, a Uni-Vibe chorus/vibrato, Mutron II phase shifter, and two Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistresses. All of those are available today as reissues, although Trower has now downsized his pedal board to a Jennings or Vox wah, a Tube Works Real Tube Overdrive, a Boss Tremolo, and a Fulltone Deja Vibe.

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/F ... d-313.aspx

Fredenando
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Fredenando »

Trower uses between one and three 100-watt Marshall heads with four to six cabinets on stage. While he usually uses two JCM 800s and a JCM 900, he also links 100-watt Marshall Plexi heads. In studio sessions, Trower uses a mix of amplifiers, such as a Fender Blues Junior and Cornell Plexi Amplifers models to acquire different tonality. Recently, Trower has been using Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 heads live.

He has recently been using Fulltone pedals and effects. He favours the OCD, Distortion Pro, Fat Boost, CLYDE Deluxe Wah, Deja Vibe 2, Soul-Bender, and a BOSS Chromatic Tuner. He runs his Deja Vibe into his distortion pedal to get his famous tone. He was given his own signature Fulltone Robin Trower Overdrive in late 2008.

For his 2009 and 2011 US tours Robin was using his Fender Custom Shop Signature Stratocaster into a Fulltone Deja Vibe 2, Fulltone Wahfull, Fulltone Clyde Standard Wah, Fulltone Full Drive, Fulltone Robin Trower Overdrive and Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner into two Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 heads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Trower

robrhy
Information

Post by robrhy »

Thanks for the info guys but i was specifically interested in the wahfull. Mike Fuller says it's "basically just a wah in a box" Sounds so simple,surprised no one has done that before.
The Blues Is Just a Bald Man With a Comb

Fredenando
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Fredenando »

Yes, Mike say that a Wahfull® is a fixed wah wah effect, and so what I understand is that he extract all the parts of a standard wah and places them in a box with only the potenciometer control and the footswitch to activate/deactivate the effect, so you could find that perfect Mid-Boost sound you like every time you kicked it on.

I remember something similar from Carlos Santana on her firsts recordings where he always used a standard wah in a fixed position to get the tone that he wanted in every song but that he almost always fixed leaves.

So more or less is not more than that.

Here you can see it:

https://youtu.be/uj3nwpCfZOA

Fredenando
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Fredenando »

And if you want to build one, here have the files for a Fulltone Standard Wah:

http://bit.ly/1dJUTuw

resynthesis
Information

Post by resynthesis »

robrhy wrote:Sounds so simple,surprised no one has done that before.
I think that there have been a few over the years e.g. the Harmonic Energizer did the cocked wah sound and, more recently, there was even an MXR Kerry King fixed wah (Q Zone as I recall)